• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been a fun 14 years but it's eBay no more. New User Agreement = Facejob!

118 posts in this topic

Nobody likes fees and nobody likes rules that limit profitability.

But the marketplace that is ebay is simply too strong to ignore.

If I can sell away from ebay I do, but if not I sell there.

It's not so much that ebay has a monopoly and I hate them. Its that they have won the race of the virtuous cycle of buyers go to where the sellers are and sellers go to where the buyers are.

I actually appreciate that and if the fees they charge still allow me to make the most money in the fastest amount of time (which is generally true, except for comics where I use this board) then thank you ebay.

We all have other places to sell but since ebay is the best, I weigh the cost and benefits and makes a decision. No need to really cry about it, I've got better things to do.

Ed

This.

Am I missing something or have both of those sections been in the eBay user agreement for a long time now? You're making it seem like these were suddenly added in this new update - which isn't the case at all :shrug:
Agreed. How is this any different than Paypal taking money out from your account when a dispute is filed by a buyer?

And this.

Am I missing something or have both of those sections been in the eBay user agreement for a long time now? You're making it seem like these were suddenly added in this new update - which isn't the case at all :shrug:
Agreed. How is this any different than Paypal taking money out from your account when a dispute is filed by a buyer?

And this.

Reading the first page I was wondering the same thing.

What has really changed?

I find it interesting how a lot of sellers state "no returns" yet I received a message on a book I recently won that said "you have 14 days to pay in case you're not satisfied and return the item - you desreve it." Although I'm not sure how the cancelation process would work if I haven't actually been charged yet. When is myslabbedcomics going to start their own auctions?

I keep a separate empty bank account linked to paypal and clean it completely out whenever possible.

That's great if you don't mind bad credit as they will file a report with the credit agencies. You will most likely be sued by them and have to go to court..... where they will garnish your wages unless you make a deal with them to pay them back.

I keep a separate empty bank account linked to paypal and clean it completely out whenever possible.

That is good and fine, understandable, but if you get in a scrape with some scamster, and PayPal can't pull funds from that account, they report this to their Parents, FeeBay, and FeeBay shuts down your account. That hurts if you have n online business.

CAL who does not want eBay to turn off the spigot....

I find it interesting how a lot of sellers state "no returns" yet I received a message on a book I recently won that said "you have 14 days to pay in case you're not satisfied and return the item - you desreve it." Although I'm not sure how the cancelation process would work if I haven't actually been charged yet. When is myslabbedcomics going to start their own auctions?

Seller's can state no returns all they want. It doesn't hold water, as it is against Ebay policy. Ebay will side with buyer every time and return their money if it is warranted.

If there is no money in seller's paypal account, ebay will reimburse them out of their own pocket. Paypal will go after the seller for funds.

It's really stupid for a seller to state no returns. It turns away a lot of potential buyers. What are they hiding? A faulty product?

That is another reason I had to start allowing returns. The Buyers' remorse cases the Seller just cannot ever win, and eBay will even tell you that over the phone if you call them and ask them.

BUT I slam that 25% restock fee which results in the few occasional negatives, but it sure has cut down on those Buyers' remorse cases.

CAL still changes when needed to...

Seller's can state no returns all they want. It doesn't hold water, as it is against Ebay policy. Ebay will side with buyer every time and return their money if it is warranted.

If there is no money in seller's paypal account, ebay will reimburse them out of their own pocket. Paypal will go after the seller for funds.

To which eBay WILL shut down your eBay User ID during this time. Some folks, who sell on their site, do pony up, and their eBay User ID is re-activated. And they shut down ALL the User ID's too.

It's really stupid for a seller to state no returns. It turns away a lot of potential buyers. What are they hiding? A faulty product?

The no return policy is actually a sound one FROM THE POINT OF ESTABLISHED SELLERS. The return this, return that, is a game played by MILLIONS of eBayers. I even had more than one eBayer confess: "Hey, I found an ASM 84 CGC 8.5 alomst a hundred dollars cheaper than yours. Please understand". Yeah, right.

Also: " Sorry, sir, I know I bid over 1K of your books but I just "lost job/ cat/grandmother died/girlfriend left me/ fill in the excuse and I need to get that money back."

And the one I posted here about three years ago:

"To calamerica-collectibles": If you do NOT allow me to return this comic book, not only will I slam the worst negative you ever received but I will let my dog play with it with my wife's egg-timer of three minutes and claim that the item was damaged".

I allowed the return, and he STILL damaged the comic( ASM # 103, a NM 9.6 easy turned to 2.0). That $115 sale turned into a $21.00 sale later on.

CAL with tidbits for thought...

That's great if you don't mind bad credit as they will file a report with the credit agencies. You will most likely be sued by them and have to go to court..... where they will garnish your wages unless you make a deal with them to pay them back.

Doubtful. They are probably not going to waste the time doing anything more than send you emails and letters asking for money, especially if the amount is under four figures.

Over the years I've disputed a few bills where I got no resolution, one from ATT for early termination I had no control over, and two for medical services. I still refused to pay, and neither ever showed up on my credit report. The ATT bill went to a collection service which gave up after one phone call when I explained that the bill was still in dispute.

Not true - I have mentioned this before. I have sold lego instructions with a no return policy. The buyer wanted to return it, I said 'no'. She opened a case. I won. I called up paypal and eBay and got a rep to personally explain my case in the matter and they agreed. I offer a return policy except for certain things like Lego Instructions.

Doubtful. They are probably not going to waste the time doing anything more than send you emails and letters asking for money, especially if the amount is under four figures.

Over the years I've disputed a few bills where I got no resolution, one from ATT for early termination I had no control over, and two for medical services. I still refused to pay, and neither ever showed up on my credit report. The ATT bill went to a collection service which gave up after one phone call when I explained that the bill was still in dispute.

I agree. It depends on the amount of $$

The no return policy is actually a sound one FROM THE POINT OF ESTABLISHED SELLERS. The return this, return that, is a game played by MILLIONS of eBayers. I even had more than one eBayer confess: "Hey, I found an ASM 84 CGC 8.5 alomst a hundred dollars cheaper than yours. Please understand". Yeah, right.

Also: " Sorry, sir, I know I bid over 1K of your books but I just "lost job/ cat/grandmother died/girlfriend left me/ fill in the excuse and I need to get that money back."

"To calamerica-collectibles": If you do NOT allow me to return this comic book, not only will I slam the worst negative you ever received but I will let my dog play with it with my wife's egg-timer of three minutes and claim that the item was damaged".

I allowed the return, and he STILL damaged the comic( ASM # 103, a NM 9.6 easy turned to 2.0). That $115 sale turned into a $21.00 sale later on.

All the more reason to just accept returns for any reason up to 14 days. (As long as it arrives back in same condition.)

No hassles that way. I won't allow bad buyers to affect me. Give money back, re-list item. Go about my day.

Not true - I have mentioned this before. I have sold lego instructions with a no return policy. The buyer wanted to return it, I said 'no'. She opened a case. I won. I called up paypal and eBay and got a rep to personally explain my case in the matter and they agreed. I offer a return policy except for certain things like Lego Instructions.

More info needed. When? How much? What kind of case was opened? I'll bet they opened the wrong case. INR or SNAD would be an automatic win for you. All the buyer had to do was return and provide a tracking #. They wouldn't have had to even tell you they were returning it. Once they provided DC info to ebay, you would have had to refund, or ebay would do it for them. Ebay often pays out of their own pocket. That is why sellers' fees are so high today. To cover the cost of Ebay paying off a customer.

Ebay is starting to crack down on habitual use of buyer protection policies. Many buyers have started receiving emails that they will no longer be covered under the policy.

All the more reason to just accept returns for any reason up to 14 days. (As long as it arrives back in same condition.)

No hassles that way. I won't allow bad buyers to affect me. Give money back, re-list item. Go about my day.

When Spider-Man 3 movie was out, I sold an ASM # 98, CGC NM+ 9.6 WHITE for almost $.700. Buyer pays within seconds of winning( usually a great sign, but this case was the rare exception). Ship comic next day. Buyer receives it. Nothing for almost 10 days, and the movie had been playing for about a week.

Buyer emails me about my "Return" policy, and if I can make a one-time exception and not charge him that 25% restock fee. I told him that I would NOT waive the fee. On the LAST day( 14 days AFTER Buyer receives item(s)) he sends it back. I refund him minus the 25% restock fee. he railed and railed and threatened me, but luckily for me, those emails were on the eBay forwarding system. he was NOT allowed to leave me negative feedback.

I re-sell the comic and got something like $385 for it. Now if you had had this one item sold for almost 700, then have to re-sell it for over half less, how would you feel about that? Be honest.

CAL who does not take kindly to certain Buyers...

I haven't sold or bought on Ebay in quite awhile. But I don't see too much of a problem with this new user agreement.

Although I would prefer that it was different.

Ebay SHOULD lean more towards looking out for the buyer, more than it does for the seller. IMO.

Disagree in part:

Yahoo! Auctions actually had a superior feedback model, and they looked AT EACH CASE between both Buyer and Seller and determined who should be looked after!

CAL who misses Yahoo! Auctions...