• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading/Quality Control????

17 posts in this topic

Or I am a big boy just tell me the grades - it helps the waiting...

Okay here is a little wine to go with the cheese today. I think I speak for all when I say it is a bit frustrating to wait so long for grading. Having said that I think all of us have come to terms with the reality and as I understand it CGC is addressing it with added graders. The sceptical side of me says they can afford it now that many are using Fast Track but a post for another time...

So we have learned patience and how to deal with counting the days weeks months...then instead of seeing that our books are finally graded and getting a little dose of happiness to tide us over we now have to look at the words "Grading/Quality Control for several more days.......weeks....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Wasn't quality Control happening before? Is it that they are concerned that they will post grades that might change before shipping as I have heard some say? What does that look like? And if so, hey just state that it might happen and why and then p o s t the grades when you know them! Knowing helps us endure the very long road our books travel. We are big boys and gals and we can handle knowing the truth!

Now I have thought of another eventuality and that is that perhaps they are hitting the "graded" button sooner than they used to (doesn't feel like it but just maybe) regardless the reality from the customers perspective has to be considered...I don't know as I can only speak for this customer and not the many others but I suspect that many if not all would agree with me when I say...

SHOW US THE GRADES!! After our books have been graded...it gives us that milestone for which to look forward and then the next milestone is when they ship... Psychology (woah look out I used a big word!) counts when dealing with customers...especially customers who are learning (successfully?) patience. Okay maybe I am not a big boy after all :) But come on show us your loyal customers some love! It is what it is sooooo what is the grade?!

Ajester

See more journals by Ajesterasm

I DO TOTALLY AGREE...

Once the books are graded...the grades should be visible.

And it has always been like that...at least until CGC changed its policy in early 2013.

SIGH...you can't imagine how curious I am to know the grades of my books still sitting in "Grading/Quality Control" status! :

Alpha Flight 26 9/85

Amazing Spider-Man 309 11/88

Amazing Spider-Man 332 5/90

Avengers/Invaders 1 7/08

Daredevil 173 8/81

Daredevil 174 9/81

Daredevil 176 11/81

Daredevil 178 1/82

Daredevil 183 6/82

Daredevil 185 8/82

Daredevil 186 9/82

Daredevil 188 11/82

Daredevil 189 12/82

Daredevil 190 1/83

Daredevil 191 2/83

Fantastic Four 236 11/81

Fantastic Four 252 3/83

Fantastic Four 256 7/83

Fantastic Four 289 4/86

Marvel Versus DC 2 3/96

Uncanny X-Men 167 3/83

Uncanny X-Men 184 8/84

Uncanny X-Men 203 3/86

Uncanny X-Men 209 9/86

Uncanny X-Men 211 11/86

X-Factor 27 4/88

X-Factor 28 5/88

X-Factor Annual 1 10/86

X-Men 11 8/92

X-Men 12 9/92

FEDERICO

The grades are not final until they go through the QC and get to the shipping part. They used to give you the grades if you called in at Scheduled for Grading. It was awesome. Sometimes grades change, though, and there were some disgruntled consumers who were very vocal about grade drops between the phone call and shipping. So CGC ended the policy entirely. No one gets grades until the books are in shipping or in the vault for pickup.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Nothing is going to change it for the time being, because the good times were killed by a small group of pussified whiners.

The whole encapsulation/QC stuff is a bit of a bite. My latest 68 book submission went Standard with a 20 turnaround. Sure enough, the books were grade on day 21. Then came a week for encapsulation and, so far, another week and a half for QC.

As I have said before, when a company begins to believe its customers should be honored to business with them, it is probably time for that company to lose its customers.

It looks like Value Fast Track and Economy Fast Track are now going to run 35-40 business days. Or approximately the same thing as Value and Economy are supposed to run.

The whole encapsulation/QC stuff is a bit of a bite. My latest 68 book submission went Standard with a 20 turnaround. Sure enough, the books were grade on day 21. Then came a week for encapsulation and, so far, another week and a half for QC.

As I have said before, when a company begins to believe its customers should be honored to business with them, it is probably time for that company to lose its customers.

It looks like Value Fast Track and Economy Fast Track are now going to run 35-40 business days. Or approximately the same thing as Value and Economy are supposed to run.

My Econ Fast Track from 3/6 is still Verified, so I think your times are probably pretty darn close.

Crossing your fingers and saying "shipped" three times will hitting refresh helps.

[not really :devil: ]

I do wish they would let us know the grades once they have been graded. I was use to calling in and asking, but I got broken when they stopped giving them out... :sorry:

CGC states: "CGC is committed to... Listening to professionals, collectors and industry experts..." I know of no one who they listened to before they made the change to not posting grades until they are shipped.

Their customer service continues to go down and we continue to get less for more. $5 invoice and Modern Tier is essentially defunct unless you want to wait 100 business days. You HAVE to use Fast Track if you want your books in a reasonable amount of time. And they continue to list the Fast Track turnaround as 10 days, quite the laugh.

If CGC is aching for more competition, that is what they will get and it will be because of their own arrogance. I am sure Steve Borock's non-compete agreement has run out and he is fully available to start a competitive adventure.

Adapt or die!!

Couldnt agree more. Basically its admitting that they sometimes damage your books in encapsulation. They can't give out the grade because if someone puts a big old crease in it while encapsulating, or more likely while waiting the 3 months to be encapsulated, they have to downgrade it. The times seemed to be getting better at one point where it went from 6 months to 4 months on a modern but its back to close to six now. My last was from like 11/6 and is still in the new graded/quality control.

From 1/9, I've got Graded Values, scheduled 3/2, Graded 3/19... (False hope) Even worse

from 1/9, moderns, still in scheduled as of today, 3/27.

New Graded Q/C.. 12/4 invoice, same scheduled 3/2, Graded 3/19...

And con season is kicking off...

non-fast track economy are now posted at 120 BUSINESS days.. Ride that float Bay-Be!

I just noticed that today as well.........

I love it,things just keep going downhill when it comes to customer service. Nothing is ever "guaranteed" and everything is an "estimate". Nobody wants to own up at CGC.

As they always say,good things have to come to an end~~

Hey guys -

A lot of you are new with regards to "registered dates." So, I thought I'd throw in my 2c

We all complain and moan about TAT, but the trick is to begin a submission routine. For example, sub 5-10 books every month, or every 6 weeks. After 3-4 months you will start to have a routine of getting books back. Fast track helps, but it's not for everyone. From what I have seen recently, TAT are getting better. Patience....

R

ive had 3 orders graded in the last month. My first order from 10-29 for some reason is still in Grading /Quality Control for the 3rd week. While I got my 2nd from 11-7 order back a week ago which was sent 10 days later. So This tells me that they either messed one or more of my books up or they messed up the order in which they encapsulate. . My 3rd order just got graded today. which was verified on 1-7. Hopefully I will get my 1st order before the 3rd one. SMH

Great idea Ryan and one I have been utilizing. I just like seeing the grades when graded and then seeing the books shipped after....I don't know it's just kinda like getting a post card (showing my age) strike that... E-mail/Tweet whatever from your kid when they are away at camp :screwy:

Anyway, I didn't want to start an anti CGC rantrant session, just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction of the new "Grading/Quality Control" Parking spot...I guess more specifically parking the books without knowing the grade while knowing they have indeed been graded. If they get damaged during encapsulation that should be noted and the owner compensated in some way (a free submission?) anyway...my 2c. I am sure that is all it is worth, if that much...

As stated in my journal, c'mon CGC show us some love <3

Ajester

Submitted Nov 2012 and now in "Grading/Quality Control". I can honestly say that with the new tight grading (cracked books dropping .5 and full points) and the 6-month wait for grades I will not be sending ANY books in for a while and stick to books already graded or books that I would not grade.

As someone who buys and sells lower end books to buy higher end books for my collection, I cannot afford to use CGC anymore. With the time delays that make EBay or PP protection useless for PLODs; I have to eat a trimmed book. Their fees. Then the tight grading where cracked books drop a grade just for resubbing it. It's not worth using their service.

When they are more standardized in their grading (mine drop while another one on here jumps from 8.5 to 9.2) and the turn around is reasonable, then I'll start submitting again. Until then, I cannot afford it and the time delays.

rant over...