• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time CGC

31 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, I've never graded anything before but I wanted to jump on the committee because I have a few books that deserve it

My question for you guys is:

What are the pros and cons of CGC-ing at a Convention compared to submitting via the mail?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

I would say something different.

I would keep participating in the forum. Go and look at some of the other threads. And you will meet people who press and do drop offs to CGC biweekly or monthly. You can ship to them on the cheap and you won't have a 100 book bill at once on con day.

So at what point would you guys say CGC becomes "worth it"? I have a few books (NYX #3, Morning Glories #1, Saga #1, Thief of Thieves #1, etc) I've thought about CGC'ing that I think are in pretty high grade, but if I don't plan on selling them is it worth CGC'ing them. And if I do want to sell something, is there a magic going rate where the cost of CGC is offset by the potential profits.

I've never CGC'ed either and I'm just curious because I've been debating it.

Someone has a formula that they shared a few weeks ago. I forget what it is. I don't like slabbed books. Whenever I have one I usually try to flip it as fast as I can and buy another NM raw on the boards.

i dont grade comics, but i do grade sports cards. when doing so, i prefer to submit them at a show. not only does it save on postage to get them there, it also cuts the risk of loss/damage in half, as once you hand them to the company, they are delivered and covered by insurance from there on out.

Someone has a formula that they shared a few weeks ago. I forget what it is. I don't like slabbed books. Whenever I have one I usually try to flip it as fast as I can and buy another NM raw on the boards.

yah, i offered a simplified one that had more room for error, but that was a good formula too. Mangbus i think? cant remember

For me,I think of it like this:

assume $50 cost, that can cover pressing, shipping in all directions, the book at cover or a bit more if you missed the boat. If the slab cant be sold for at least $50, I wouldnt even consider sending it in. The big dealer type guys can sell @$50 all day long, but the have efficiency and advantages the average person doesnt.

9.8 ebay average price:

==================

<$50 - sell it raw or hold

$50 to $75 - hold

$75-$100 - into the slabbing queue

>$100 - red alert fast track it NAO

That's my general thought process on prices if you are slabbing to sell and not a dealer. Obviously all of that is subject to trends, if the book is falling or rising fast, those rules can change.

yah, i offered a simplified one that had more room for error, but that was a good formula too. Mangbus i think? cant remember

assume $50 cost, that can cover pressing, shipping in all directions, the book at cover or a bit more if you missed the boat. If the slab cant be sold for at least $50, I wouldnt even consider sending it in. The big dealer type guys can sell @$50 all day long, but the have efficiency and advantages the average person doesnt.

9.8 ebay average price:

==================

$50 to $75 - hold

That's my general thought process on prices if you are slabbing to sell and not a dealer. Obviously all of that is subject to trends, if the book is falling or rising fast, those rules can change.

Thanks a lot! This was really helpful

9.8 ebay average price:

==================

$50 to $75 - hold

Yep.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6478730#Post6478730

This was for Onsite grading .. which is different pricing/timing compared to onsite submission.

So at what point would you guys say CGC becomes "worth it"? I have a few books (NYX #3, Morning Glories #1, Saga #1, Thief of Thieves #1, etc) I've thought about CGC'ing that I think are in pretty high grade, but if I don't plan on selling them is it worth CGC'ing them. And if I do want to sell something, is there a magic going rate where the cost of CGC is offset by the potential profits.

I've never CGC'ed either and I'm just curious because I've been debating it.

I guess the key how good is your grading skill. Also are you going to be happy if they with lower grade you expected?