• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Auctions

449 posts in this topic

HulkSmash isn't a shill and I didn't say anything about shill bidding. I was the one confused by your "a married man having pics of hot chicks is immoral" analogy.

I replied to this post from memory:

You mean you're legally allowed to shill bid your own auctions but you don't? What's this world coming to? :ohnoez:

I know he's not a shill.

(thumbs u

Oh, I get it, April Fools!

There's no way my quote above (referencing Mycomicshop being in Texas) equates to "it didn't fall into the legal definition of shill bid (which is what I was referencing, because Stu (or whoever the new shill is) was talking about it being legal or illegal to shill auctions)". You are a very confused hippy.

"Saying "legally allowed to shill bid" is a misnomer, which is what I was referencing.

Since shilling is illegal, you can't be legally allowed to shill bid.

:foryou:

Nevermind. I've said enough in this thread.

:facepalm:

There's no way you could detect any sarcasm in that post? No way to tell that I wasn't debating a serious topic? You missed the "ohnoez" guy? That's what you call "talking about it being legal or illegal to shill auctions"? Cop out :facepalm:

Edit: oh, right, you were "replying from memory". All is forgiven then. :eyeroll:

HulkSmash isn't a shill and I didn't say anything about shill bidding. I was the one confused by your "a married man having pics of hot chicks is immoral" analogy.

I replied to this post from memory:

You mean you're legally allowed to shill bid your own auctions but you don't? What's this world coming to? :ohnoez:

I know he's not a shill.

(thumbs u

Oh, I get it, April Fools!

There's no way my quote above (referencing Mycomicshop being in Texas) equates to "it didn't fall into the legal definition of shill bid (which is what I was referencing, because Stu (or whoever the new shill is) was talking about it being legal or illegal to shill auctions)". You are a very confused hippy.

"Saying "legally allowed to shill bid" is a misnomer, which is what I was referencing.

Since shilling is illegal, you can't be legally allowed to shill bid.

:foryou:

Nevermind. I've said enough in this thread.

:facepalm:

It's just as well that you've "taken a step back from posting on the boards".

I'd hate to see what this thread would look like if you hadn't. :roflmao:

After reading through this whole thread, the discussion has been :o

FWIW, eBay policy defines shill bidding as - "bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability."

And can someone confirm where one of the responses from MC admits drinking wine and sitting behind the wheel of a truck?

When bidding in an auction you often consider the market interest in a book as one of the influences in what you are willing to bid.

If you are bidding and there there are other interested parties you may bid differently than if you are bidding and know there are no other interested parties.

If all bidders (online, offline, video chat, skype, semaphor, or smoke signal) knew that the "other bidder" was actually not an interested bidder and just the reserve being reinforced then I say fine as long at that is explicit for each time it occurred.

And to be clear, the above is different than merely showing a book as having a reserve.

If everyone bidding did not know this information it was an uneven playing field.

Sounds like the seller (and by extension the auction) house wanted both their cake (a reserve) and to eat it too (have the option of taking a sub-reserve bid (that had been bid up buy the reserve, not by another bidder) if the buyer decided to drop the reserve).

It seems to me that this hobby's collectors will never accept 3 things.... pressing, shiny stickers, and shill bidding.

No matter how much VintageComics puts an alternative spin on them.

Am I wrong? I've been wrong before. I can't remember the last time, though. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

This forum is full of a lot of smart people, but you still do not have a firm grasp on shill bidding. If you want to know more about Auctions and Auction Law I suggest you read Mike Brandly's post. Mike is a fellow National Auctioneers Association member and like myself and Lite holds the highest designation in the Auction World CAI or Certified Auctioneers Institute. Here is his blog post on what is Shill Bidding http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/what-is-shill-bidding/

From the blog:

"What shill bidding involves is bidding without the genuine intent to purchase"

lol

Me too.

:eek:

You have obviously slowed down...62182 divided by 9 is 6909 per year, divide that by 365, it's almost 18.92 posts per day.

Since you posted your "Days are numbered"? thread, you have only averaged 8.25 posts per day, which in 9 years, will be a mere 26,937 posts, a mere pittance...

Yes, I'm bored, lol...;)

When bidding in an auction you often consider the market interest in a book as one of the influences in what you are willing to bid.

If you are bidding and there there are other interested parties you may bid differently than if you are bidding and know there are no other interested parties.

If all bidders (online, offline, video chat, skype, semaphor, or smoke signal) knew that the "other bidder" was actually not an interested bidder and just the reserve being reinforced then I say fine as long at that is explicit for each time it occurred.

And to be clear, the above is different than merely showing a book as having a reserve.

If everyone bidding did not know this information it was an uneven playing field.

Sounds like the seller (and by extension the auction) house wanted both their cake (a reserve) and to eat it too (have the option of taking a sub-reserve bid (that had been bid up buy the reserve, not by another bidder) if the buyer decided to drop the reserve).

It seems to me that this hobby's collectors will never accept 3 things.... pressing, shiny stickers, and shill bidding.

No matter how much VintageComics puts an alternative spin on them.

Am I wrong? I've been wrong before. I can't remember the last time, though. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

This forum is full of a lot of smart people, but you still do not have a firm grasp on shill bidding. If you want to know more about Auctions and Auction Law I suggest you read Mike Brandly's post. Mike is a fellow National Auctioneers Association member and like myself and Lite holds the highest designation in the Auction World CAI or Certified Auctioneers Institute. Here is his blog post on what is Shill Bidding http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/what-is-shill-bidding/

From the blog:

"What shill bidding involves is bidding without the genuine intent to purchase"

lol didn't people just recently argue with you over an article you cut/pasted?

Further along it says:

Otherwise, in a with reserve auction, the seller may bid if that right has been reserved (if the other bidders have knowledge).

lol

Me too.

:eek:

You have obviously slowed down...62182 divided by 9 is 6909 per year, divide that by 365, it's almost 18.92 posts per day.

Since you posted your "Days are numbered? thread, you have only averaged 8.25 posts per day, which in 9 years, will be a mere 26,937 posts, a mere pittance...

Yes, I'm bored, lol...;)

lol

FWIW, eBay policy defines shill bidding as - "bids on an item with the intent to artificially increase its price or desirability."

And can someone confirm where one of the responses from MC admits drinking wine and sitting behind the wheel of a truck?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=293489&Number=6565498#Post6565498

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=293489&Number=6565498#Post6565498

Ahhh, technically he just says he's out at a party and sitting in a truck. There is no mention of actually driving the truck, or even sitting behind the wheel. Let's not make stuff up. It detracts from the real issue(s). Just sayin'.

If you watch the video I think it is clear how we did the auction of this item. I have my wife write down the bid (I do not know who bid or how much they bid) she bids the reserve for them. In this case (I think it was like $5,700 but we are out at a party and I am sitting in the truck and I have had several glasses of wine so I just do not know). My wife bids for the seller (remember they can reject any and all bids, so if the number does not hit their reserve it is not going to sell in any case). I explain to the online and in person bidders that she is bidding the reserve for the owner and that if we do not hit it I will ask the owner if he will accept the last offer. We did not hit his number, he agreed to accept the last offer, I said sold.

Ahhh, technically he just says he's out at a party and sitting in a truck. There is no mention of actually driving the truck, or even sitting behind the wheel. Let's not make stuff up. It detracts from the real issue(s). Just sayin'.

If you watch the video I think it is clear how we did the auction of this item. I have my wife write down the bid (I do not know who bid or how much they bid) she bids the reserve for them. In this case (I think it was like $5,700 but we are out at a party and I am sitting in the truck and I have had several glasses of wine so I just do not know). My wife bids for the seller (remember they can reject any and all bids, so if the number does not hit their reserve it is not going to sell in any case). I explain to the online and in person bidders that she is bidding the reserve for the owner and that if we do not hit it I will ask the owner if he will accept the last offer. We did not hit his number, he agreed to accept the last offer, I said sold.

You can't make this stuff up! lol I just couldn't remember exactly what he wrote, and regardless of how its interpreted, I found it bizarre that he mentioned alcohol and being in a vehicle in the same sentence, or that it was even mentioned in a thread concerning them.

You can't make this stuff up! lol I just couldn't remember exactly what he wrote, and regardless of how its interpreted, I found it bizarre that he mentioned alcohol and being in a vehicle in the same sentence, or that it was even mentioned in a thread concerning them.

In Florida, you dont have to be driving to get a DUI. You only have to be in "actual physical control", i.e. drunk in a running car. Many, many, MANY times people get arrested, charged AND convicted for this. Just remember that little tidbit the next time you are in Florida, decide you've had to much to drink and pull over to sleep it off meh

In North Carolina, you can be inebriated in a car as long as the keys are not in the ignition.

That really ruins all my late-night drunken talk-radio I listen to in my 1988 Chevy S-10!

:roflmao:

-slym

Maybe it's a redneck party and they're all hanging out in their pick-up trucks? Checking out each others' rides for the best mounted tool box? (shrug)

Do they have redneck parties in St. Louis? Sumperson_without_enough_empathy.

Oh and just WOW on this thread!

This is indefensible no matter what MO law states. As the OP has said MANY times, the crux is that the seller was allowed to bid again and retract. If the OP had the last bid and the seller decides to lower reserve, that is a COMPLETELY different matter.

I cannot believe that anyone can think letting your wife bid a true buyer up to his absolute maximum and then withdraw their bid and yell "SOLD!" is a kosher way of doing business. I dont care what legal loophole they found in MO, that is CRAAAAAZY!

I never would have guessed Roy would be the one holdout hoping to better understand what happened here lol

:baiting:

Ummmm, this is Missouri we are talking about :blush:

Can't believe you guys are getting this hyperbolic in a thread about Mound City's reputation. He didn't claim to be driving the car, for it to be running, nothing, just to be sitting in a car. :eek:

Can't believe you guys are getting this hyperbolic in a thread about Mound City's reputation. He didn't claim to be driving the car, for it to be running, nothing, just to be sitting in a car. :eek:

NeilPatrickHarrisThumbsUp.gif