• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Superman Shave his Beard?

13 posts in this topic

This isn't much of a Journal Entry with such a banal topic of discussion: Superman's facial hair... but I am curious nonetheless at the potential laughs and gaffs this might cause.

Zack Snyder's The Man of Steel is due out this Summer. The trailer looks awesome... really can't wait for it! But I have to say, and correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first time in Cinema or TV, Superman sports a full grown beard?

The only other instance I can remember is in the forgetable 1983 Superman III, where Christopher Reeve sported a shadow for which he managed to avoid shaving ala a mystical evil Superman purge: Clark Kent literally splits from the evil Superman and they battle to the death... and Clark wins.

But in the aforementioned Man of Steel, there are scenes in the trailer where Clark Kent sports a full grown beard. So my question is: "How does he manage to shave his beard?"

How did he do it in the comics?

Does this version use a Kryptonian electric shaver?

Perhaps Heat vision?

Kryptonite razor blades borrowed from Lex Luthor?

I'm just curious what anyone thinks.

SW3D

13345.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

In the post Crisis/John Byrne revamp, he had to use a piece of metal from the the Kryptonian ship that that brought him to Earth, he would hold the piece of metal in his hand and reflect his heat vision to his face. The metal from the ship was the only metal strong enough to reflect his heat vision, a mirror would melt, I think this was in the Man of Steel miniseries. I also wondered as a kid, when Superman came back from the dead, he came back with a mullet, as a result of his body recovering in some sort of Kryptonian rejuvenation chamber, so his hair grew but only in the back, and no beard, WTF?!

I remember having a pocket-sized paperback novel that collected several black and white reprints of 50's and 60's Superman stories. In one such story, a toddler Superman, playing on the Kent Farm, gets hit from behind by a charging bull and his response is: "What hit me... a pebble?"

Such was the incredible silliness of Superman's god-like powers.

And because of his Kryptonian heritage, Superman is immune from most if not all Earthly diseases and pathogens. He basically has "Super-Immunity" and therefore does not require immunization.

Believe it or not... this really can't be possible for two reasons:

FIRSTLY: Can Superman really generate heat vision hotter than our Sun? We have seen him time and time again fly through the sun unscathed... hairs intact. So how could heat vision do the trick unless it is far hotter than the heat generated by our yellow sun... but i really can't believe even Superman has such immense power.

SECONDLY: Superman's fought against fellow Krptonians and has been hit with heat vision and not once has a hair on his head been singed. Why would his heat vision do the trick?

I remember that Billy Ray Cyrus mullet look... "My Icky Breaky Superman".

I don't know if you remember this but in Superman II, he uses a sideview mirror ripped off a truck to refract the heat vision back towards General Zod. The mirror didn't melt. But John Bryne changed all those wacky things about Superman. Continuity wasn't Superman's strongest suit.

Superman used to be my favorite... i could talk about him all night!

We should have a monthly discussion about Supes... like... What decade told the best Superman stories?