• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be upset?

58 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 9.8 slab from a seller in a presale and got it today. The 9.8 I got was nice--not really sure how it got 9.8, but whatever. The copy I received had several minute color-breaking spine creases. The same seller--just days ago-- threw up a 9.8 slab of the same book I had purchased from him for auction on eBay. This particular copy, based on the listing scans, had absolutely no creases and looks pristine.

Should I be upset that I got the copy with color-breaking creases--even though it is a 9.8 and that's what I paid for--and not the better copy of the two? Should I be upset that the seller gave me an arguably inferior 9.8 copy and kept a near-pristine 9.8 to auction off because he knew he'd have to place listing photos on ebay whereas with my sale/purchase--because it was a presale--no photos were available? Somehow I feel ripped off. Am I justified in feeling this way? Am I dumb for buying presale books without the benefit of a scan?

Definitely upset. Incensed! Cataclysm!!

This is a pic of my 9.8. At least half the tics that the OP has on his 9.8

20130402011106.jpg

:o

Christonabike, this is during CGC's 'tough' period?

:facepalm:

Moderns are especially lenient right now, its the high grade vintage material (bronze and earlier) that is getting killed. Low grade vintage material also seems to be somewhat lenient.

No. Moderns are getting slammed as well. On-site grading may have been more lenient.

I don't think that this is a great sample size as to how they are grading moderns currently.

Tight. Very tight. This is not an example of the current trend.

I don't think that this is a great sample size as to how they are grading moderns currently.

I agree. This book itself had a large percentage of production issues with the spine. I had about 50 raw copies of this book and maybe 4 would be a true 9.8. That's why I believe some were graded on a curve.

I'm really interested to see the OP's copy.

The same can be said about any grade. If given 10 books graded 7.0 (insert any grade) and you can prioritize them based on best to worst.

Fact is, a 9.8 is not perfect. If it was it would be a 10. I'm not saying 4 or more CB spine ticks is acceptable as a 9.8 but every 9.8 will have some defect.

20130402011106.jpg

Moderns are especially lenient right now, its the high grade vintage material (bronze and earlier) that is getting killed. Low grade vintage material also seems to be somewhat lenient.

I better sub some moderns! :ohnoez:

From what I've seen, it seems like any old modern you send in just get's a 9.8 for the hell of it. I even resubbed a modern book that had gotten a 9.6. After the Bagley signature, it jumped to a 9.8.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

A 9.8 is supposedly only allowed two spine ticks.

Right, not a perfect copy. But yes, more than 2 ticks and I wouldn't call it a 9.8.

It sounds like the OP paid for a 9.8 and got a very weak 9.8 in a slab. Unfortunate but not the sellers fault as the book is a 9.8 according to CGC.

Right, not a perfect copy. But yes, more than 2 ticks and I wouldn't call it a 9.8.

It sounds like the OP paid for a 9.8 and got a very weak 9.8 in a slab. Unfortunate but not the sellers fault as the book is a 9.8 according to CGC.

Yea I don't think you can be upset with the seller.

I'd be more upset with CGC and the poor grading of the book. You could just flip it though and buy another, I'm sure. This time you could see actual scans this time.

20130402011106.jpg

I better sub some moderns! :ohnoez:

From what I've seen, it seems like any old modern you send in just get's a 9.8 for the hell of it. I even resubbed a modern book that had gotten a 9.6. After the Bagley signature, it jumped to a 9.8.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Why don't you try this and report back with your results?

Like Branget said, CGC is very tight on moderns right now ... this book is not representative of how they're currently grading (and, honestly, it looks like a mis-label).

I have the same opinion as Branget & mschmidt - CGC is very tight on moderns right now. I send in 200 books a week on average and I'm seeing this as well.

I don't think you can look at one book with production issues and say CGC is being lenient across the board.

Why don't you try this and report back with your results?

Like Branget said, CGC is very tight on moderns right now ... this book is not representative of how they're currently grading (and, honestly, it looks like a mis-label).

I don't buy that many moderns and the ones I do are for reading.

From reading through here though it does just sound like I got lucky. Sounds like this book was just a mistake.

I personally downgrade to 9.6 if there is even one spine tick.

I hope you're right DrWatson...I have 20 books scheduled for grading as we speak. :wishluck: