• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be upset?

58 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 9.8 slab from a seller in a presale and got it today. The 9.8 I got was nice--not really sure how it got 9.8, but whatever. The copy I received had several minute color-breaking spine creases. The same seller--just days ago-- threw up a 9.8 slab of the same book I had purchased from him for auction on eBay. This particular copy, based on the listing scans, had absolutely no creases and looks pristine.

Should I be upset that I got the copy with color-breaking creases--even though it is a 9.8 and that's what I paid for--and not the better copy of the two? Should I be upset that the seller gave me an arguably inferior 9.8 copy and kept a near-pristine 9.8 to auction off because he knew he'd have to place listing photos on ebay whereas with my sale/purchase--because it was a presale--no photos were available? Somehow I feel ripped off. Am I justified in feeling this way? Am I dumb for buying presale books without the benefit of a scan?

I've been preselling my modern CGC stuff, but I allow a take it pending scan.

You didn't buy from me, but in defense of the seller, many times it is very tough to see creases or small color breaking creases in a CGC scan. Especially when eBay reduces the resolution.

The book you received may have the same if not more issues than the one on eBay.

Thought Bubble.... If that is it, I have said this before, but I have no doubt CGC grades these on a curve(or whatever you want to call it). I've seen 9.8 with 3-4 color breaks.

If it is a TB, I would do what you said: contact the seller. Maybe he will switch it out. If not, I'm sure as long as the TB is a 9.8, you'll get more than what you paid if you're holding to sell.

Thought Bubble.... If that is it, I have said this before, but I have no doubt CGC grades these on a curve(or whatever you want to call it). I've seen 9.8 with 3-4 color breaks.

This is not true as it implies there is a method as to how they grade.

This is not true as it implies there is a method as to how they grade.

:o

I've been preselling my modern CGC stuff, but I allow a take it pending scan.

You didn't buy from me, but in defense of the seller, many times it is very tough to see creases or small color breaking creases in a CGC scan. Especially when eBay reduces the resolution.

The book you received may have the same if not more issues than the one on eBay.

True.

No. You bought a 9.8 and got a 9.8. You don't even know if the seller looked at either book or just shipped one.

Should the seller be upset that you're making assumptions? Seems to be heading in that direction.

You paid for a 9.8 and got one. I don't blame the seller in any way. You can't prove he did it intentionally and probably didn't.

Try contacting the seller and see what they think. Probably should have been done before this thread was created. But too late now.

I bought an ASM #38 in CGC 7.5 and high res scans were provided. I know it was a 7.5 but I could not see a flaw in the high res scan that ultimately led me to sell the book at cost.

Once I had it in hand, I could see 'indents' along the spine of the comic book where the staples were. To me, it was very off-putting. It was a preference thing, I just didn't like it.

Did I blame the seller? No. I even had high-res scans and just how the case was and the nature of the flaw, you could not tell until it was in hand.

So I resold the book on eBay for my cost. Just one of those things. I don't think a seller would try to give you the 'inferior' 9.8

Maybe CVA sticker could have helped in this instance?

:jokealert: