• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINS of the American Comic Book

424 posts in this topic

Wholesalers1940-05-03-01_zps34d760d5.jpg

Wholesalers1940-05-03-02_zps6183c43b.jpg

Wholesalers1940-05-03-03_zps08dd2d46.jpg

I was struck with this pic that the comics

are racked up in the high back where kids can not get to them.

Note Hyper Mystery for sale in the upper left corner area. Truly a scarce title.

Also looks to be Hit Comics #1 on this rack cover dated July 1940.

I also have never seen this type of "pulp" mag rack off to the left

The way I understand it is this... if we buy stuff from Bob to support Katy then we will get rewarded with more pictures of old news racks.

Pavlov ain't got nothing on the ultimate huckster.

Yo Bronty, am unsure of what you are writing about. Many a time I am simply making a quick reply at the bottom of a thread. What I am now realizing is it answering the last person's post on any given thread. Have now learned to answer specific posts like I am here now. Am I uneducated re the ways & means of posting in CGC slab land? Yup, guilty. Am pledging to not simply answer at the bottom of a thread, but I hasten to add what you are making motion on, silly me.

Oh Bob. :facepalm: I said you called the crowd stupid, you then blather on about how you didn't call anyone stupid and that I am twisting your words around, and then I quote for you the exact passage in your post where you did. I know this is unintentional on your part but having a conversation with you is a little bit like... well, a little bit like talking to Mitch Mehdy.

Wholesalers1940-05-03-01_zps34d760d5.jpg

Wholesalers1940-05-03-02_zps6183c43b.jpg

Note Hyper Mystery for sale in the upper left corner area. Truly a scarce title.

Interesting photos. Please keep posting them. (thumbs u

The way I understand it is this... if we buy stuff from Bob to support Katy then we will get rewarded with more pictures of old news racks.

[font:Times New Roman]Having visited Bob's ebay kennel, all I can say is Cujos on the double entendre.[/font] >>> smileys-dogs-780771.gif

[font:Times New Roman]Having visited Bob's ebay kennel, all I can say is Cujos on the double entendre.[/font] >>> smileys-dogs-780771.gif

Not sure what that means but he has had some good books. I've bought from him over the years and was happy with the prices and grading.

Not sure what that means but he has had some good books. I've bought from him over the years and was happy with the prices and grading.

i am sure i know what this means: you are a dealer's dream customer.

[font:Times New Roman]What strikes me is this:

If I had Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and 50 cents in vintage coin, say, Mercury dimes to keep the continuum from jumping the rails, I wondered to myself "Which books would I buy?"

Here's what I came up with (don't peak 'til you do it yourself): smiley-cool14.gif

Both copies of Hit #1, the More Fun #56, then it's a toss-up, probably the Daring #4 and Detective #39 or one of the copies of National #1 (2) or Flash #7 (4)

Ask yourself, thinking as either a dealer or as a collector, ...Which comics would YOU buy and bring back?[/font]

If I had Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and 50 cents in vintage coin, say, Mercury dimes to keep the continuum from jumping the rails, I wondered to myself "Which books would I buy?"[/size]

Here's what I came up with (don't peak 'til you do it yourself): smiley-cool14.gif

Both copies of Hit #1, the More Fun #56, then it's a toss-up, probably the Daring #4 and Detective #39 or one of the copies of National #1 (2) or Flash #7 (4)

My eyesight must be getting worse as I see a More Fun #55 and Flash #6 (four times on that one).

If I had Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and 50 cents in vintage coin, say, Mercury dimes to keep the continuum from jumping the rails, I wondered to myself "Which books would I buy?"

Ask yourself, thinking as either a dealer or as a collector, ...Which comics would YOU buy and bring back?[/font]

I'm gonna have to go with that House Beautiful issue... but then I've made some questionable investments in the past, so... (shrug)

If I had Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and 50 cents in vintage coin, say, Mercury dimes to keep the continuum from jumping the rails, I wondered to myself "Which books would I buy?"[/size]

My eyesight must be getting worse as I see a More Fun #55 and Flash #6 (four times on that one).

[font:Times New Roman]Right on both counts. Alas, my jumping ahead a month was less visionary than the onset of cat-aracts.[/font] :facepalm:

thanks for the great pictures !

coincidentally, that picture is almost exactly 73 years old since that time magazine is the april 15 1940 issue. to make a list of what you want, one needs a checklist.

here's what i see on the rack:

whiz 4, champion 7, hyper mystery 1, magic 10, ace 38, king 49, hit 1, crack 1, smash 10, feature 32, national 1, daring mystery 4, amazing mystery funnies 21, pep 4, keen detective funnies 21, funny pages 38, flash 6, all-american 14, detective 39, action 24, adventure 50, more fun 55, blue bolt 1, target 4, shadow 3, prize 3, slam-bang 3

that's the most #1 issues i've seen on an old newsstand.

[font:Times New Roman]Here's what I came up with (don't peak 'til you do it yourself): smiley-cool14.gif

I'd get more money so I could take all of them.

RackedOutComics-01_zps98f21561.jpg

RackedOutComics-02_zpsd4aad7b9.jpg

This next tidbit is a double page spread. Two winters back during a 'deep freeze' of some 20 below zero the old water meter in my rented warehouse burst sending cascading water some eight feet in the air, a small river flowing in to a portion of my comics business research archives.

Spent the next couple days doing triage saving and preserving same best I could.

Hence, the "water mark" on these two pages which shows innards of a distributor in New Jersey. I have many such pics going in to my comics business history book. My main problem is going to be figuring out what to leave out of Comic Book Store Wars as I define its parameters.

Hope you find some of this stuff fun as I plan on posting a lot more here. It is kind of trade off of sorts. The more vintage comics artifacts I get sold, the more time I have to sort thru all this kind of stuff, the more you here end up seeing. This is my version of a "kick starter."

I will continue to ignore the "peanut gallery" who seem to have a hard-on attacking my research efforts. I also wish to publicly apologize to Bill Ponsetti whose comments I said a couple times earlier in this thread were "silly."

In finally figuring out where he was coming from, I completely misinterpreted he was discussing "now" in 2013 towards the future regarding "super" hero characters as "content" while I was completely immersed in the past discussing evolution of the "form" or, more so to the point, "format" of a comic book as this wonderful art form evolved in America since the 1840s, so, consequently, neither one of us were communicating properly.

Obviously Superman et al were are and will forever more have far larger impact as "characters" on any given world wide contest agenda of popularity than that long ago guy named Obadiah Oldbuck.

Thanks Bob.

I appreciate all the historical information you've brought to light over the years. Gosh knows you've added books to my want list as a result though lol

I will continue to ignore the "peanut gallery" who seem to have a hard-on attacking my research efforts. I also wish to publicly apologize to Bill Ponsetti whose comments I said a couple times earlier in this thread were "silly."

In finally figuring out where he was coming from, I completely misinterpreted he was discussing "now" in 2013 towards the future regarding "super" hero characters as "content" while I was completely immersed in the past discussing evolution of the "form" or, more so to the point, "format" of a comic book as this wonderful art form evolved in America since the 1840s, so, consequently, neither one of us were communicating properly.

Obviously Superman et al were are and will forever more have far larger impact as "characters" on any given world wide contest agenda of popularity than that long ago guy named Obadiah Oldbuck.

Thanks Bob.

I appreciate all the historical information you've brought to light over the years. Gosh knows you've added books to my want list as a result though lol

Yo Bill, most of the persons who have posted in to this thread I value their opines. Am heartened to see us back on the same page. Thanks for the kind words regarding the energy I have poured in to figuring out where all this comics stuff has come from.

Contrary to some of the peanut gallery spewing their continuous venom which I will continue to ignore, I have had zero agenda re "marketing" this stuff or on any other level where my comics business research has taken me in providing answers to the many questionsI have posed to myself much less sharing same with the rest of the comics collecting community for many years now.

Have I made mistakes over the years? But of course. We ALL have, to err is simply being human as we seek knowledge. Wisdom comes from taking said accumulated knowledge and learning to place such in proper time line context.

I do wish to state I still consider Rodolphe Topffer's comc books once he began getting them printed up to be the most important comic books since his essentially created the "form" from whence all the rest evolved.

Have come across a lot more primary research documents I will continue to share here in to the forseeable future.

Below is a tid bit mainly for Theagenes, says he is pro archeologist, who posed pertinent queries earlier in this thread, as I spent a portion of today sifting thru my research files once again. Hopefully I scanned this large enough to be read by those interested in proper comics history.

This New York Times question and answer from 1904 stipulates D i c k & Fitzgerald still had Topffer's albums in print for sale. There is no way most ALL of the comics creators who entered the newspaper Sunday sections beginning circa 1894 did nto see Topffer's comic books.

There is more "proof" coming down the pike as I get to it. Please keep in mind my #1 goal these days is seeing my children healed. Any one who has children understands what I mean by that simple statement. [/size]

NewYorkTimesTopffer1904_zpsf9ca696e.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Some how I have made my living in this comics gig for over 40 years now. It is simply a hobby which got way out of hand many moons ago.

Have bought & sold literally millions of comic books in my life time. Hopefully my eBay feedback speaks for itself regarding grading & pricing concepts. Every once in a while I misplace a book amongst the 45,000 popular culture artifacts in my current warehouse but by & large orders mostly ship out same day paid for. Am scanning and posting "new" vintage popular culture artifacts almost every day.

Currently I am collecting to read and enjoy Sunday pages and complete sections from the 1890s thru the mid 1930s. The more obscure the better.

i am sure i know what this means: you are a dealer's dream customer.

:acclaim: