• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To Seperate late Golden vs early Silver for 6 DC titles....please help.

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

Not sure if it is a collector’s bug or what it is but I have a real problem to decide what is «silver» and what «golden» age of books is in the world of DC in the 50’s and would love it if someone have input.

Things don't go from Golden Age to Silver Age - the Atom Age is in between. Golden Age ended at the end of 1945. The Atom Age lasts from '46 till about

'55 or '56. I like the idea that the Silver Age started when the CCA started, but the traditional starting point has always been the first appearance of the Silver Age Flash in Showcase #4 (October 1956 issue).

I'm with Jimbo -- pre-code vs post-code. Simple rules for simple minds. :grin:

I tend to agree for both the Superman and Batman titles. For Wonder Woman though I start the Silver Age with issue #98 from 1958 when the team of ross Andru and Mike Esposito took over the art chores. In H.G. Peter's hands prior to issue #98 Wonder Woman had a 19th century look.

Starting Batman's Silver Age with the new look Batman in Detective 327 of May 1964 is just too late though. Quite simply, the old look Batman had been a member of the JLA since the start and that's a detail that can't be swept under the carpet. Like it or not, but the JLA was very Silver Age.

(shrug)