• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,982 posts in this topic

I haven't a clue what these things go for...is it related to the grade on the top cover? Does it go according to Overstreet in some way?

If the book is going to go for $1.50, lol..I'll just keep it..Walt Disney's are not that hot on Ebay...

I have no idea what that blank spot means, either...if that is good, or bad...(where the label would have been.

It is really tough to say. Superhero doublecovers go for the most with the more mainstream the issue, the higher the demand and price. I haven't seen many triple covers for sale so I have no clue how much it would go for. (I know that I would bid at least $10 for it :) )

The blank spot is totally fine and is just a placeholder for the address label.

I just had this conversation with another member about values for multiple covers. To be honest, you can expect an extremely wide standard deviation for the prices of multiple covers. The issue is that there are basically two or three bidders on eBay that are throwing the numbers out of whack. So it comes down to whether or not those individuals want that particular issue. If gijoed and comicwars already have a certain book with 2+ covers, they may not bid at all.

He asked me what a certain bronze age issue of FF is worth with a double cover. My answer was basically, if Joe and Tina already have it, then as low as $25. If not, then probably over $100. Percentagewise, we're talking about huge swings in value.

For your triple cover I can't see it here from work because they filter out photobucket images, but I'd say that it would go for way over $100 just by virtue of it having 3 covers and my understanding of what the market is for these types of books. I would not be surprised if it goes for over $200 or $300, even without looking at the images.

Well, that sounds better than $1.50...and since I don't really collect them, I supose I'll do a group one of these days...I must have 5 or 6 double covers as well...I just kept them because I thought they were cool...

Thanks:) and I know, no one can predict:) I just wanted a clue:)

I just had this conversation with another member about values for multiple covers. To be honest, you can expect an extremely wide standard deviation for the prices of multiple covers. The issue is that there are basically two or three bidders on eBay that are throwing the numbers out of whack. So it comes down to whether or not those individuals want that particular issue. If gijoed and comicwars already have a certain book with 2+ covers, they may not bid at all.

He asked me what a certain bronze age issue of FF is worth with a double cover. My answer was basically, if Joe and Tina already have it, then as low as $25. If not, then probably over $100. Percentagewise, we're talking about huge swings in value.

For your triple cover I can't see it here from work because they filter out photobucket images, but I'd say that it would go for way over $100 just by virtue of it having 3 covers and my understanding of what the market is for these types of books. I would not be surprised if it goes for over $200 or $300, even without looking at the images.

DoublaCovaBrotha is right. There are a couple of other double cover collectors out there. EmptyGrave comes to mind. Here's a silly hint if you are going to list it on eBay: Include the words "double cover" in your auction listing. Something like, "Not a double cover, but a triple cover", just so it comes up in more search results.

DoublaCovaBrotha is right. There are a couple of other double cover collectors out there. EmptyGrave comes to mind. Here's a silly hint if you are going to list it on eBay: Include the words "double cover" in your auction listing. Something like, "Not a double cover, but a triple cover", just so it comes up in more search results.

What a smart idea, thanks for the suggestion:) I really wasn't going to list these...they have been sitting behind me...but I should before I forget all the useful hints:)

Also, I hope to be buying some more GA books soon, so the money will help, lol

What a smart idea, thanks for the suggestion:) I really wasn't going to list these...they have been sitting behind me...but I should before I forget all the useful hints:)

What happened to the wedding?! :baiting:

At any rate, if you have double cover ASMs, I (probably Terry too) would appreciate getting a first crack at them. Maybe we could even trade for some GA books.

I know I'd love to see some pics that we can save in this thread, even if you do sell them!

The Celebrate the Double Covers thread lives forever!

What happened to the wedding?! :baiting:

At any rate, if you have double cover ASMs, I (probably Terry too) would appreciate getting a first crack at them. Maybe we could even trade for some GA books.

Well, I just called her, lol..and asked if they were any closer to a date...and the answer was.."chill Mom...not yet"..

So...I can buy some GA books instead, lol...I'll be VERY chilled...;)

and I guess I'm not really all that worried, lol...it will work out, I'm making excuses to buy more books ever do that... :baiting:

Whats up with the purple text :baiting:

You are lucky, I am not doing PINK..;)

:banana:

Thank you all for the help...here is a picture before I forget...for the thread...the Atlas is the only one in decent shape (well nice for MY collection)...but they are fun...and thanks again you are so nice :acclaim:!

double.jpg

Here's a list of what's coming back from CGC. I'll see if I can't throw up some scans when they arrive:

Daredevil 179 Double Cover Modern 9.4 WHITE

Detective Comics 605 Double Cover Modern 9.2 WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 161 Double Cover Universal 6.0 WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 206 Double Cover Modern 8.5 WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 252 Double Cover Modern 2.5 OFF-WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 253 Double Cover Modern 8.5 WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 270 Double Cover Modern 9.4 WHITE

Amazing Spider-Man 293 Double Cover Modern 9.6 WHITE

Thor 277 Triple Cover Modern 7.0 OFF-WHITE

Thor 350 Double Cover Modern 9.2 WHITE

Overall, this was an okay submission. Based on my previous experience in submitting double covers, I was expecting some higher grades. The Daredevil 179, Detective 605, ASM 270, and Thor 350 I expected to be 9.6's. I am much more disappointed by the grades for the ASM 206 and 253. I thought that they would come back at least in the 9.2s. :P

Here's a list of what's coming back from CGC. I'll see if I can't throw up some scans when they arrive:

Overall, this was an okay submission. Based on my previous experience in submitting double covers, I was expecting some higher grades. The Daredevil 179, Detective 605, ASM 270, and Thor 350 I expected to be 9.6's. I am much more disappointed by the grades for the ASM 206 and 253. I thought that they would come back at least in the 9.2s. :P

Do you think they're getting stricter on them these days? Seems like they are, with the PQ downgrade we've seen, and now yours.

That ASM 252 must be really beaten up. Can't wait to see the pics.

Do you think they're getting stricter on them these days? Seems like they are, with the PQ downgrade we've seen, and now yours.

I think it depends on who gets a hold of them in the grading department. I have sent multiple books in separate shipments and the results seemed to vary with one group getting excellent grades and the other getting okay grades.

That ASM 252 must be really beaten up. Can't wait to see the pics.

I expected a fairly low grade, although maybe not that low. The book has some water damage and stains. All in all, I probably overpaid for it ($56.91) but I couldn't resist owning a 252 with a double cover though (First ASM with the black costume).

The funny thing is that it was advertised on eBay as NM. :grin:

It also arrived in a typical large brown envelope used for documents, without even a bag or board. :screwy: