• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P Carmine Infantino

146 posts in this topic

Here's a story I don't think I've shared about Carmine. It was about 10-15 years ago at Dragon Con in atlanta. I was on a big Flash kick at the time, so I was wearing my Flash logo shirt when I approached his table. We talked for a while and I mentioned to him how fascinated I was with those Flash/Superman races when I was a kid. I asked if he minded drawing me a little quick sketch. I was expecting something like a Flash head sketch. I ended up going to lunch and when I came back he had drawn me two full figures of Flash and Superman racing. I was blown away. I forget the guy's name that was with him, but he chimed in and said something about how I was going to need to pay at least $400 for it. Carmine and I hadn't discussed a price or anything before. I figured he would expect something, but I wasn't the not as poor version of myself that I am today yet. I figured I would give him $100 for his efforts before I had seen what he had done, and be happy to do it. As I was standing there the guy that was with him (he was selling some comics history books. I believe he was a writer/historian of some sort. I wish I could remember his name..) Anyway, this guy gets busy attending to some people that are looking at his books. Carmine looks at me and says "Here, take this and get out of here before the warden over there tries to take your lunch money." I was like "Well, let me give you something" He responded with "No way, I'm not taking a dime from you; thanks for being a fan. Now scram" He smiled as he said it. One of the nicest moments I've had in this hobby.

Unfortunately that particular sketchbook was stolen at a show a few years after that. It had that one and about 30-40 others. (probably another 10 flashes and the rest being mostly Ben Grimm as I was really into the FF at the time too). While it's a shame that I can't share the piece that Carmine drew that day, I thought I would still share the story. It's one that I'll never forget, and it still reminds me of what a fantastic human being Carmine was.

Very cool story, and yeah, that was definitely Spurlock. First time I met Carmine he yelled at me for having the wrong book for him to sign...but I loved him anyways. :luhv:

Second or third time I met him, he looked at me funny when I handed him a Gil Kane Batman cover to sign, but I guess he figured, "What the heck?" and signed it.

Here's a story I don't think I've shared about Carmine. It was about 10-15 years ago at Dragon Con in atlanta. I was on a big Flash kick at the time, so I was wearing my Flash logo shirt when I approached his table. We talked for a while and I mentioned to him how fascinated I was with those Flash/Superman races when I was a kid. I asked if he minded drawing me a little quick sketch. I was expecting something like a Flash head sketch. I ended up going to lunch and when I came back he had drawn me two full figures of Flash and Superman racing. I was blown away. I forget the guy's name that was with him, but he chimed in and said something about how I was going to need to pay at least $400 for it. Carmine and I hadn't discussed a price or anything before. I figured he would expect something, but I wasn't the not as poor version of myself that I am today yet. I figured I would give him $100 for his efforts before I had seen what he had done, and be happy to do it. As I was standing there the guy that was with him (he was selling some comics history books. I believe he was a writer/historian of some sort. I wish I could remember his name..) Anyway, this guy gets busy attending to some people that are looking at his books. Carmine looks at me and says "Here, take this and get out of here before the warden over there tries to take your lunch money." I was like "Well, let me give you something" He responded with "No way, I'm not taking a dime from you; thanks for being a fan. Now scram" He smiled as he said it. One of the nicest moments I've had in this hobby.

Unfortunately that particular sketchbook was stolen at a show a few years after that. It had that one and about 30-40 others. (probably another 10 flashes and the rest being mostly Ben Grimm as I was really into the FF at the time too). While it's a shame that I can't share the piece that Carmine drew that day, I thought I would still share the story. It's one that I'll never forget, and it still reminds me of what a fantastic human being Carmine was.

Probably my favorite story yet from these boards :applause:

Probably my favorite story yet from these boards :applause:

It's stories like these that keep me coming back to the boards! Thanks for sharing, it made appreciate Mr. Infantino a little more.