• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R.I.P Carmine Infantino

146 posts in this topic

From Diamond's "Scoop" site today:

In Memoriam: Carmine Infantino

As a youngster, Carmine Infantino struggled to break into comics around the demands of his school schedule, making a number of sales and working on a variety of titles for different publishers including Hillman Periodicals, Fawcett, Holyoke, and DC Comics. He also worked for Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's Prize Comics during his early days. When editor Julius Schwartz paired him with writer Robert Kanigher on a revival of the Golden Age superhero The Flash in Showcase #4, though, lightning struck more than just the main character.

The legendary artist, art director and publisher passed away Thursday, April 4, 2013, less than two months before his 88th birthday.

“Like many other comic book fans my age (and many who came after), I grew up on Carmine’s Flash. His linear style of art, which certainly increased over the years, lent itself to the fast-moving action of Barry Allen’s adventures and really helped pull readers in,” said Steve Geppi, President and CEO of Diamond Comic Distributors. “He was a good paisano, and while I am saddened by our loss, I am thankful for the rich and lasting legacy of storytelling he leaves behind.”

"Carmine was a unique talent in comics history: one of the most refined artists of the Golden Age, the artist who launched the Silver Age, the artist who won the fan awards as they were first launched, the designer of many of DC's most memorable covers, an editorial leader who launched a wave of experiments and the only artist ever to lead the #1 comics publisher. He had a sharp eye, a willingness to take chances on people and ideas, and I'm honored to have served my apprentince years at his DC," said former DC Comics President and Publisher Paul Levitz.

“Carmine Infantino was a tremendous force for innovation in the comic book industry. From co-creating the Silver Age Flash to giving the go-ahead for Jack Kirby’s Fourth World titles, he was frequently an engine for change. He helped make the first meeting of Superman and Spider-Man possible, and later drew a number of now-beloved issues of Star Wars for Marvel. I was glad to have his work on the cover of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, and I suspect his influence will last in our industry for a very long time,” said author and publisher Robert M. Overstreet.

Showing his illustration and design talents on characters ranging from the science fiction adventurer Adam Strange to serious superhero Batman to somewhat silly hero Elongated Man, Infantino became DC's Art Director, Editorial Director and eventually Publisher, supervising among other things the first Marvel - DC crossover, Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man. Following his staff tenure, he returned to work as a freelancer, illustrating Star Wars, Nova, and Spider-Woman for Marvel and various others for DC.

As with many of the greats, it’s difficult to measure their impact solely in terms of their own work on the printed page. Often is their impact on others by which their true measure is taken.

“So sad to learn of the passing of another comic book legend. Carmine Infantino was one of the great influential artists in the history of the medium and I will always look upon his Adam Strange, Flash and Space Museum stories as wondrous examples of fantasy made even more magical at the hands of a master. RIP, Carmine,” artist George Pérez posted on his Facebook page.

“Carmine was one of the first comics artists whose style I could recognize on sight, back as the regular artist on Marvel's Star Wars book,” posed Star Wars writer John Jackson Miller.

“When you think of the definitive Flash, you think of Carmine’s brilliant work. His innovations with speed lines, ways of delineating super-speed in a panel made Flash just so much fun. Carmine will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family. We are all at a loss,” said Vincent Zurzolo, Chief Operating Officer of Metropolis Collectibles.

“I'm extremely sad to learn that DC artist, art director, and publisher Carmine Infantino has passed away today. He was interviewed and featured in our book The Batcave Companion. Carmine was the inspiration for my cover design of the upcoming issue of Noir City. Infantino was a legend in the comic book business, he redefined both Batman and The Flash and was DC's publisher when I was reading their comics as a kid,” writer-designer-historian Michael Kronenberg posted.

“There are few people in this world that have had as much of an impact on the industry as Carmine. He bridged both the Golden and Silver Ages of comics, shepherding in some of the most successful periods in our history and setting the course of our characters that is still seen today. He will be greatly missed, but his legacy will remain forever,” DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio said.

“A piece of my childhood died with the passing of Carmine Infantino. Without doubt, his wonderful imagination, talent and style were unique and formed the foundation for the love of comic books that I carry with me to this day. Many years ago, I walked up to him at a convention, shook his hand and said a simple thank you. Form him it probably was a moment played out countless times before and since. For me, it was like meeting Mickey Mantle. Carmine Infantino has died but his I know this imagination lives on in the form of millions of comic books fans around the world,” said Metropolis Collectibles founder Stephen Fishler.

“Carmine was a legend. The number of classic covers he created are innumerable. His influence, reach and impact is humbling and will always live on,” DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee said.

“When I was a little kid, Carmine was the first artist whose work I could instantly identify, thanks to stacks of gogo check era comics I inherited from an uncle. When I hit my teenage years, he was ‘my’ Flash artist, as he and Cary Bates were firing on all cylinders on their amazing early 80s run on the book, left to their own devious devices while DC slowly plotted out Barry’s demise in the leadup to Crisis. His clean, architectural style and superb sense of composition defined the pop-art 60s as much as did Kirby, Steranko, or Adams, and perhaps even more so, since his dramatic cover layouts dominated the newsstands for DC for nearly a decade. I had the very great privilege of spending an evening with him in San Diego during my first trip to the con some years ago, and his irascible humor and still-youthful spirit were a delight and a treasure. His name might not have been known among the casual comics fans, but his work always resonates with anyone I show it to, and his influence on the modern comics landscape is undeniable. He was one of the last true comic pioneers, and we are poorer for his loss,” said Frank Cwiklik of Metropolis Collectibles.

A very sad day indeed...RIP Carmine... :sorry:

When I was a kid one of my friends received a bunch of Silver Age Flash comics (issues in the 120s through 150s, if I remember right) from his uncle, and I thought that the art and stories were so cool.

I was fortunate enough to get a quick Flash head sketch from Carmine at WonderCon (I think) in 2007, and even though it was the end of day and he was tired, it turned out great!

He was charging $50 per sketch, and when I gave him $60 he started slowly and aimlessly fishing around for change in his pockets so I told him to keep the extra $10...to this day I wonder if that was all part of his plan to pocket the extra $10... lol

In addition to being one of the great artists/designers in the field, Infantino presided over one of those periods when comics were Better Than They Necessarily Needed to Be. As Editorial Director then Publisher at DC, Infantino set in motion:

- Deadman (personally drawing the 1st story, then sponsoring the Neal Adams run)

- Bat Lash by Sergio Aragones, Nick Cardy, Denny O'Neil

- Steve Ditko's late 1960s creations Hawk & Dove and the Creeper

- Promoting Joe Kubert to editor, launching Enemy Ace into an ongoing series and bringing a more mature style to the DC war books

- House of Mystery and its many imitators, thanks to making Joe Orlando editor

- Bringing Dick Giordano over from Charlton, dramatically increasing the quality of titles like Aquaman & Teen Titans. Giordano brought with him talent like Denny O'Neil & Jim Aparo, mainstays of DC in the 1970s

- Launching the great Denny O'Neil/ Neal Adams collaborations on Green Lantern / Green Arrow and Batman

- Bringing Jack Kirby over from Marvel to do the Fourth World series

- Getting the Tarzan license for DC and giving the series to Kubert

- Reviving Captain Marvel after 20 years in limbo

- Green-lighting Mike Kaluta's Shadow, Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing

- All those great covers from the period, by Neal Adams during the first part of his tenure, and by Nick Cardy during the latter part

- Relentless experimentation with different formats, that among other things, introduced DC's Golden Age material and characters to a new generation of readers: The 52 Page Bigger & Better Giants, the 100 Page Super-Spectaculars, and the Limited Collectors Edition reprints

Not all these innovations and experiments were successful, but comics readers of our generation owe a huge debt of gratitude to the man for the great body of work he made possible during the years 1967-1974.

Thank you Mr. Infantino.

I do believe on of owners of an LCS in my area ran a pretty large obituary for him in today's paper. I wouldn't give the local paper enough credit to do it on their own and I don't think he had anything to do with the south Bay Area in California.

It was a very nice move from whomever did it.

In addition to being one of the great artists/designers in the field, Infantino presided over one of those periods when comics were Better Than They Necessarily Needed to Be. As Editorial Director then Publisher at DC, Infantino set in motion:

- Deadman (personally drawing the 1st story, then sponsoring the Neal Adams run)

- Bat Lash by Sergio Aragones, Nick Cardy, Denny O'Neil

- Steve Ditko's late 1960s creations Hawk & Dove and the Creeper

- Promoting Joe Kubert to editor, launching Enemy Ace into an ongoing series and bringing a more mature style to the DC war books

- House of Mystery and its many imitators, thanks to making Joe Orlando editor

- Bringing Dick Giordano over from Charlton, dramatically increasing the quality of titles like Aquaman & Teen Titans. Giordano brought with him talent like Denny O'Neil & Jim Aparo, mainstays of DC in the 1970s

- Launching the great Denny O'Neil/ Neal Adams collaborations on Green Lantern / Green Arrow and Batman

- Bringing Jack Kirby over from Marvel to do the Fourth World series

- Getting the Tarzan license for DC and giving the series to Kubert

- Reviving Captain Marvel after 20 years in limbo

- Green-lighting Mike Kaluta's Shadow, Bernie Wrightson's Swamp Thing

- All those great covers from the period, by Neal Adams during the first part of his tenure, and by Nick Cardy during the latter part

- Relentless experimentation with different formats, that among other things, introduced DC's Golden Age material and characters to a new generation of readers: The 52 Page Bigger & Better Giants, the 100 Page Super-Spectaculars, and the Limited Collectors Edition reprints

Not all these innovations and experiments were successful, but comics readers of our generation owe a huge debt of gratitude to the man for the great body of work he made possible during the years 1967-1974.

Thank you Mr. Infantino.

Excellent snapshot of his impact on a great era. It was near the end of that era that I became enthralled with comics

In his memory, here are my top ten Carmine Infantino covers from my collection in alphabetical and then chronological order:

09-09-201264602PM.jpg

06-09-201162507PM.jpg

16-06-2011101211PM.jpg

29-06-201172328PM.jpg

13-08-2011113321AM.jpg

05-09-2011114049PM.jpg

16-06-2011101214PM.jpg

18-05-2011110439PM.jpg

15-11-201174838PM.jpg

19-12-2011120842AM.jpg

While all the above covers are from his Silver Age tenure at DC, Carmine also did some noteworthy work at Marvel during the Bronze Age. His rendering of Spider-Woman was particularly noteworthy:

Spider-Woman_zps376a1429.jpg

Spide_zpsf6630358.jpg

One of you other fans may perhaps have more of Infantino's Spider-Woman handy to scan.

:)