• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akira slab mylars

10 posts in this topic

Just snagged the first and second issues of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira and when I got them to my surprise I saw that the slab case is much thicker than the standard cases. Almost twice the size of a regular book. Does anybody know if there are mylars that fit this particular case size????? Thanks guys. -A

Scan-130403-0001_zps24f23b21.jpg

Scan-130405-0001_zpsed0a86be.jpg

Just snagged the first and second issues of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira and when I got them to my surprise I saw that the slab case is much thicker than the standard cases. Almost twice the size of a regular book. Does anybody know if there are mylars that fit this particular case size????? Thanks guys. -A

Nice! (thumbs u

I put Akira right there with Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns has the truly most ground breaking comic books of the 1980s.

Nice! (thumbs u

I put Akira right there with Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns has the truly most ground breaking comic books of the 1980s.

Have to agree.... and if you take it even a step further... much of recent pop- culture/sci-fi/superhero stuff has been pulled right from the comic books/anime! hm Shoot, the scene in the Matrix where Neo stops the bullets in mid-air the Wachowskis basically stated they ripped that idea off right from Akira. :applause:

I remember seeing the movie Akira but didn't know there was an American comic. Thanks for showing this. I'm assuming there is a Japanese comic (in black and white) does anyone have the first issue of this?

This is it's first release in America. It was colorized and mirrired so it reads left to right. All manga was done like that back in the 80's. The black and white digest sized translated manga books are much later and not nearly as sought after.

If you mean the first issue of the original Japanese run, it was serialized in one of those thick phonebook sized anthology books, as most if not all mangas are. I think it was released out here pretty much simultaneously or immediately after.