• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite runs of the Golden Age
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I was wondering what boardies consider to be the great runs of the GA. it doesn't have to be the whole run of a title, but should be at least 10 issues, and while covers or fondness for a character can be part of the equation, what I'm looking for is the combination of interior art and story that really makes a run a joy to read. In the case of anthology titles it's probably not enough that just one feature is good, at least half the book should be worth reading.

There are some obvious choices like New Trend ECs, Stanley's Little Lulu books, or Captain America 1-10, Plastic Man 1-27 ( or whenever Cole was still exclusively handling the chores), The Barks Donald Duck Four Colors, and just based on the Black Canary stories which I've read in archive format combined with the talents of Kubert, Infantino, Elias and Kinstler on Hawkman and The Flash, I've always imagined Flash 86-104 to be an entertaining run. For those with a broader experience in reading GA books than most of us likely have, what are some other great runs both obvious and obscure?

first thing to cross my mind was the batman stories prior to the debut of robin. detective comics #27 to 37. but i'll give it more thought and post back :)

While the pre-Robin Tec run is a perennial favorite, do these have anything more to recommend them other than the moody Batman stories in terms of a reading experience? I honestly don't know, as I've only read the Tec 27 reprint from the era, and can't say the rest of the material in the book made much of an impression. I'll also say while I appreciate the original Dark Knight era, I find the late 40s/ early 50s period of Batman stories to be more broadly entertaining, even if they are lighter in tone, and feature bird-boy as well.

Smash Comics # 14 to # 20's

Stories & line-up of note for these issues (for some issues, you get all of these strips!):

The Ray by Lou Fine or Reed Crandall

Espionage by Will Eisner or Dan Zolnerowich

Abdul the Arab by Bob Powell

Wings Wendall & Chic Carter, both by Vernon Henkel (when he still cared about his work; i.e., put the work into it)

Midnight by Jack Cole

Magno by Gustavson (sp?)

+ you'll see: Gill Fox, George Tuska, Alex Blum, etc ...

Smash Comics # 14 to # 20's

Stories & line-up of note for these issues (for some issues, you get all of these strips!):

The Ray by Lou Fine or Reed Crandall

Espionage by Will Eisner or Dan Zolnerowich

Abdul the Arab by Bob Powell

Wings Wendall & Chic Carter, both by Vernon Henkel (when he still cared about his work; i.e., put the work into it)

Midnight by Jack Cole

Magno by Gustavson (sp?)

+ you'll see: Gill Fox, George Tuska, Alex Blum, etc ...

Now that's the type of esoteric run I like to see. I'm downloading 14 from the comicbookarchive website now.

I was wondering what boardies consider to be the great runs of the GA. it doesn't have to be the whole run of a title, but should be at least 10 issues, and while covers or fondness for a character can be part of the equation, what I'm looking for is the combination of interior art and story that really makes a run a joy to read. In the case of anthology titles it's probably not enough that just one feature is good, at least half the book should be worth reading.

There are some obvious choices like New Trend ECs, Stanley's Little Lulu books, or Captain America 1-10, Plastic Man 1-27 ( or whenever Cole was still exclusively handling the chores), The Barks Donald Duck Four Colors, and just based on the Black Canary stories which I've read in archive format combined with the talents of Kubert, Infantino, Elias and Kinstler on Hawkman and The Flash, I've always imagined Flash 86-104 to be an entertaining run. For those with a broader experience in reading GA books than most of us likely have, what are some other great runs both obvious and obscure?

[font:Times New Roman]Besides obvious blue ribbon Timelys such as Cap, Torch and Marvel Mystery, I consider the first two years of Quality's Hit Comics as exceptionally solid books for GA art. You've already mentioned Jack Cole's phenomenal Plastic Man, I'll add the first couple of dozen Police, Military, National and Blackhawk.

Then there's Lev Gleason's Silver Streak (especially #6 on) and the first dozen issues of Daredevil (note: there are lots of great issues after that with exceptional writing for the era, but I'm biased towards the earlier issues that feature Daredevil solo).

Next up, the run of Phantom Lady from Fox and I'd be remiss not to mention Cat-Man from Holyoke/Continental.

Alas, there aren't many DC titles that I get as excited about (I know, it's my loss), but for great action filled GA comics brimming with superheroes and great story content Adventure Comics during it's heyday is hard to beat (peak numbers 60's through the 80's). Also, when considering short runs, the first 10 issues of Batman and Superman shouldn't be overlooked.

Of course, this just scratches the surface.[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]Besides obvious blue ribbon Timelys such as Cap, Torch and Marvel Mystery, I consider the first two years of Quality's Hit Comics as exceptionally solid books for GA art. You've already mentioned Jack Cole's phenomenal Plastic Man, I'll add the first couple of dozen Police, Military, National and Blackhawk.

Then there's Lev Gleason's Silver Streak (especially #6 on) and the first dozen issues of Daredevil (note: there are lots of great issues after that with exceptional writing for the era, but I'm biased towards the earlier issues that feature Daredevil solo).

Next up, the run of Phantom Lady from Fox and I'd be remiss not to mention Cat-Man from Holyoke/Continental.

Alas, there aren't many DC titles that I get as excited about (I know, it's my loss), but for great action filled GA comics brimming with superheroes and great story content Adventure Comics during it's heyday is hard to beat (peak numbers 60's through the 80's). Also, when considering short runs, the first 10 issues of Batman and Superman shouldn't be overlooked.

Of course, this just scratches the surface.[/font]

I have to say, while I love the covers, I've generally found Timelys a slog to actually read outside the S&K cap stuff. Haven't read much of the Gleason stuff outside CDNP, but board member Crimebuster has mentioned the mid forties era of Boy Comics has some superior writing.

The Baker PL run is definitely one of the high points of the GA for both covers and interiors. (thumbs u Of the Cat-man's I've read - I love the covers, and there is some nice Fuji art, but I found them a dull read.

While I don't think it quite stretches 10 issues, I always figured the Adventure run with S&K doing both Manhunter and Sandman and Burnley ( and later Meskin IIRC) doing Starman are probably more entertaining than most books from the era. I don't know what the Hourman stories are like at this point, having only read a couple early ones in reprint form.

One of my favorite runs to read are Whiz 15 (or so) through about 30, but most importantly 17 through 25, and the crossover stories in Master 21 - 23. The Captain Marvel storyline through those issues included a three part Spy Smasher crossover where he goes crazy, and the whole origin of Captain Marvel Jr. which includes the intro of Captain Nazi. One of the great, great origin stories on all of the golden age.

I'll put in the obligatory plug for Pep 22-47. The run features classic covers by Irv Novick, Bob Montana, Alex Schomburg and others. Interiors include Archie, Hangman and the Shield with art by Montana, Novick, Harry Lucey and Bob Fujitani. My favorite run of all time :cloud9:

Target Comics v1n1- v2n3. While it's not my favorite series in general, it's probably my favorite anthology as a whole. The first 15 issues have at least two of the following creators on each issue, frequently more: Bill Everett, Carl Burgos, Jack Cole, Tarpe Mills, Basil Wolverton, Joe Simon. I just wish I had more than 5 of the 15 issues!

There are quite a few......but my personal favorites would be the S&K run on Sandman in Adventure Comics and Everett's last hurrah on Sub-mariner .... 33 - 42. The Captain Comet run in Strange Adventures wasn't too shabby either. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There are quite a few......but my personal favorites would be the S&K run on Sandman in Adventure Comics and Everett's last hurrah on Sub-mariner .... 33 - 42. The Captain Comet run in Strange Adventures wasn't too shabby either. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep. And those Adventures had several issues with SK on Sandman and Manhunter. Awesome books... and the late 40s early 50s Everett Subbies are some of his best work....

and othereric - those Targets are Awe-some.

When I started my second GA collection (first was in ‘60s) in mid-‘80s I found that there was a title I liked a lot that was also dirt cheap: Airboy. From after the Heap got his strip in late ’46 each ish would feature the lead Airboy novelette- most often quite entertaining and a shorter but almost always delicious Heap tale. As other strips phased out the rest of the book filled with historical and human interest etc shorts that was pretty good, by and large. It stayed fun all the way to end of line in ’53 with some good Heap covs late in the game to tempt the PCH crowd. Here’s Jan ’47 #35 & Jun '52 #100.

Plus the late (1948-1949) issues of Wonder and Startling rank as super faves (with Thrilling & Exciting not far behind). Great stuff inside fronted by the Supreme Xela covers… Last ish- out in a blaze of glory!

img236.jpg

img2710.jpg

img650.jpg

Didn't want to start a new thread for my drek so this seemed somewhat appropriate. I was finally able to finish a couple of GA runs (that no one else would care about). :acclaim: Bought the Heroic and BT raw via Ebay and subbed them so now I have slabbed runs of these three titles.

I had a lower grade copy of #4 that wasn't worth slabbing and had been looking for a decent copy of Leading #4 to complete my Seven Soldiers of Victory run.

Heroic Comics #13 to finish that run before the genre switch. I have two lower grade copies of 13 already but again wanted a decent copy.

And last but not least, BT #24 to finish that run - again I have a lower grade 24 but this allowed me to finish my BT run.

Don't have a group shot but if interested I have the other books scanned and loaded on myslabbedcomics.com

Black Terror Collection - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=973

Heroic Comics Collection (#1-15) - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=527

Seven Soldiers of Victory Collection (Leading Comics #1-14) - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=1126

0808141337401.jpg

0808140941381.jpg

0808140942171.jpg

Didn't want to start a new thread for my drek so this seemed somewhat appropriate. I was finally able to finish a couple of GA runs (that no one else would care about). :acclaim: Bought the Heroic and BT raw via Ebay and subbed them so now I have slabbed runs of these three titles.

I had a lower grade copy of #4 that wasn't worth slabbing and had been looking for a decent copy of Leading #4 to complete my Seven Soldiers of Victory run.

Heroic Comics #13 to finish that run before the genre switch. I have two lower grade copies of 13 already but again wanted a decent copy.

And last but not least, BT #24 to finish that run - again I have a lower grade 24 but this allowed me to finish my BT run.

Don't have a group shot but if interested I have the other books scanned and loaded on myslabbedcomics.com

Black Terror Collection - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=973

Heroic Comics Collection (#1-15) - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=527

Seven Soldiers of Victory Collection (Leading Comics #1-14) - http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?Page=1&Order=Title&GSub=1126

0808141337401.jpg

0808140941381.jpg

0808140942171.jpg

Your collection is always worth a look sir. A thread I wish you would start is an Ace Publication appreciation. Your scans on MSC are a knock out! What a collection from that publisher!

Your collection is always worth a look sir. A thread I wish you would start is an Ace Publication appreciation. Your scans on MSC are a knock out! What a collection from that publisher!

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy seeing the great books that everyone posts here - so many fantastic books and great folks here in Gold. I think there may already be an Ace Appreciation thread - I don't have many but there they had some great covers, along with the Cheslers.