• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1963 X-men #1 posted by Nunhunter

15 posts in this topic

Based on what i can see on the front cover (chipping/little tears/creasing bottom right/brown spots), it already looks 5.5-6.0 in my opinion. They're more lenient when grading a 1963 book then a 1983 book, but from what i can see, a 6.0 at best and that's reaching. Still a great book to have though, congrats.

Thanks for responding. I know the cover looks like 5.5-6 but doesn't the inside and the rest of the comic determine the grade also? Because the inside was beautiful colors, off white pages, no wear. Just a ill glue on interior cover. Overall I rated it a 7.0. Did the cover really bring it down that much? Thanks for your time and interest

Did the cover really bring it down that much? Thanks for your time and interest

Absolutely it did, a comic will not be graded higher than the cover around it. Most interiors are the best (graded) part of a comic obviously because they have much less wear than a front and back cover.

I might be wrong, but it seems as though different aspects of a book can only bring down a grade, not raise a grade.

What I mean is, if the cover is only a 5.5, then it doesn't matter how nice the pages are or anything else - a 5.5 is as high as it is going to go. Likewise, if the cover was a 7.0 but the interior pages had brittleness or something, the nice cover wouldn't keep it from being dropped down. They start at a 10 and then subtract from there based on defects, rather than adding points for good qualities.

It's a very nice book. I think 5.5 is doing well for this book actually. (thumbs u

I would also add that while the book may have a 5.5 grde, not all 5.5s are treated alike. if the interior is great - as in, it has something like "WHITE Pages" listed on the label - discerning buyers will pay more for it than they would for a 5.5 with cream pages. So having a nice interior does have value, even though it may not be reflected in the numerical grade.

Thanks for responding. I know the cover looks like 5.5-6 but doesn't the inside and the rest of the comic determine the grade also? Because the inside was beautiful colors, off white pages, no wear. Just a ill glue on interior cover. Overall I rated it a 7.0. Did the cover really bring it down that much? Thanks for your time and interest

I'm not sure exactly how CGC grades but they way i've come to learn to grade is....At first glance, looking at the front cover, at minimum the comic can grade this high, establish a baseline.....then you get to the closer look defects and subtract those. I can't tell you for sure whether an excellent interior can raise your grade, but more often than not it's....If you see a comic for sale and the front cover looks 9.0 but is graded a 7.5, then there most likely is a hidden defect......than a comic that looks 7.5 and is graded 9.0 and someone thinks, man that comic must have a nice interior. But like Crimebuster said, when value is considered, page quality does count. Best of luck in the future of this great hobby of ours!!!!

Even if the inside is nice and beautiful there are certain flaws that will diminish a grade. I believe no matter how nice a book is, if it has rusty staples, it will drop quite a few grades. By the way, still a very nice book. Congrats are still in order.

if everyone posted there books in the Spare a Grade CGC Boards nobody would ever be surprised at the CGC grade they receive. I have a 5.5 that looks much better than that. Sigh, CGC you fickle beast....

I think everyone here thats submitted has been disappointed in a grade received at some point. I know I have. From what I can see in your picture and your description it seems like you got a fair grade. Maybe a pressing could've got it higher. Who knows? But Surfer said it best. Thats a great book and I'd love to have 1 at all.

I think with Holy Grails, Golden and Siver Age Comic Books, it is wise to invest in Grader Notes.

Just my two cents.

Great book by the way! Congrats!

SW3D

I bought graders notes with my last AFA submission. Great to see all the things they nitpick. It was probably the best $14 I've spent in a while. Now I know what to look for :cool:

Wholeheartedly agree. The notes will give you details you overlooked, and they are based on professional graders POV's... not amateur schmo's like us who are too connected to the comic in question. The insights and wisdom it brings is worth its weight in gold. I only wish the grader notes were standard and built into the pricing.