• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's a "crime" not to post em... Post your favourite Biro covers

164 posts in this topic

Daredevil17.jpg

I didn't notice this one until just now... What a cool cover! Church copy?

If that book doesn't speak volumes about war propaganda and humanity, nothing does. The outrage that would follow if it were published today would be mind blowing. GA books as a microcosm of a different age and a different mindset is still one of my favorite aspects of the hobby.

Daredevil17.jpg

I didn't notice this one until just now... What a cool cover! Church copy?

If that book doesn't speak volumes about war propaganda and humanity, nothing does. The outrage that would follow if it were published today would be mind blowing. GA books as a microcosm of a different age and a different mindset is still one of my favorite aspects of the hobby.

Well said. An amazing image and an amazing copy. (thumbs u

While kids committing acts of violence on Nazis and Japanese is an interesting aspect of war era comics, and completely understandable, as they would have reflected childhood fantasies of participating in combat against the Axis, covers of comics today are far more graphic and I doubt a cover illustration showing a kid gang shooting and clubbing bad guys would get much notice at all, beyond acknowledgment that it was perhaps a thematic throwback to the GA.

Now if you showed the kids attacking a classroom full of smaller children - That would probably spark some outrage.

Now if you showed the kids attacking a classroom full of smaller children - That would probably spark some outrage.

I've got a GA cover here featuring a gangster holding a classroom of small children hostage with a machine gun. hm

It's not by Biro, though. :sorry:

While kids committing acts of violence on Nazis and Japanese is an interesting aspect of war era comics, and completely understandable, as they would have reflected childhood fantasies of participating in combat against the Axis, covers of comics today are far more graphic and I doubt a cover illustration showing a kid gang shooting and clubbing bad guys would get much notice at all, beyond acknowledgment that it was perhaps a thematic throwback to the GA.

I think it's not necessarily the violence aspect of the cover that would cause the hysteria but the racial depiction of the Japanese soldiers as looking sub human (although not as bad as some Schomburg covers). Then being "strung up" and beaten as a race. I think if you were to do this today and use a more contemporary adversary as the ones looking sub human and then being strung up, hanged and then shot, it might cause an uproar. What makes these books so interesting to me is that like Cheetah said it was a different way of thinking back then, especially since it was war time. These books capture a picture of the mind state during that time.

The only ones I currently have, oft posted here. Need a CDNP #33 again to have the quadrilogy of -IMHO - best Biro covers, having offloaded a nice copy two years ago.

BoyComics1190Crowley_zps60c7fe01.jpg

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

DaredevilComics1180.jpg

Tell you what Michael. I'll take that awesome looking DD 11 off your hands and then you can have an amazing bookend duo left over. ;)

Biro rarely fails to intrigue, and along with Irv Novick he remains one of my favorite cover artists of the GA. Very much enjoying this thread so far.

Walter, that Daredevil 18 is the ("SN") Cookeville copy I think.

CDNP 26 is somewhat tough from what I know.

I've always liked this one:

000_0069.jpg