• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

What would you say are the grades of the Salida OAW 81 and 83 and GI Combat 68 and 87?

confused-smiley-013.gif I have earlier GI Combats that range from 6.5s to 9.0s. Condition is really hit or miss with this pedigree.

Incidentally, the Salida copy of GI Combat #1 is CGC graded 5.5. But it's not labeled as being from the pedigree! 893whatthe.gifmad.gif It does have a "Dallas Stephen's" provenance, though! makepoint.gif (I'm offering Donut-worthy "crazy money" for this book, by the way. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif )

isnt it spelled "Solaita" not Salida? Either way they are very nice books!

Lolita? 27_laughing.gif Nope, it's Salida, named after the town where the collection was discovered.

Alan

Poor Frank gets no respect! confused-smiley-013.gif

w0rd, gregster.

But that will change. Mark my words, that will change. crazy.gif

Maybe if Bruce was a better huckster like Chuckie! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And while that's a cool Marines cover, the truth is that if you didn't tell me it was a pedigree, I wouldn't have known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But how many books can you identify as a pedigree without being told? From a scan, I'm not sure I could spot any, other than those with distinctive writing (e.g., Church, WM).

What I really was trying to say (without hurting anyones feelings) was that the book doesn't have a "Wow it must be a Pedigree, quality" look to it.

What I want out of a pedigree copy is:

1) A incredibly high structural grade for that particular issue/ genre / age, etc. It doesn't have to be NM, if most issues of that book are no better than VG. Then a VF copy is an exceptional copy of that book.

tth2;

I understand completely what sfilosa is trying to point out here, especially when it comes to some of the newer more recent pedigrees.

For an extreme example: There is a world of difference in holding a high grade copy of a 100 page squarebound cardboard cover GA book from the 30's as opposed to holding a high grade BA book from the 70's. The former just has that magical feeling of something special and unique and most likely from a pedigree collection. The latter has a feeling of just another high grade copy and possibly from one of the so many new pedigrees or just another high grade collection.

The pedigrees from the 60's and 70's just seems to be so abundant right now that there is really nothing that special or unique about them. You have your Oaklands, Boston, Pacific Coast, Northlands, Winnipegs, Green Rivers, Mass, etc and a strong possibility of more similar quality pedigrees being found in the future. Since high grade books from this time period seems to show up on a rather frequent basis, it tends to lose some of that "pedigree feeling". Especially when you can go back to your own personal collection and see what appears to be equivalent quality books, particularly for some of the books from the early 70's.

One other point for me is that the advent of CGC has also help to make the pedigrees lose some of their uniqueness. Prior to CGC, it always felt special when you was able to hold a copy of an actual high grade book in your hands. Just the touch, feel and smell of the book made the entire experience so much more complete. Nowadays, I am just left with the feeling of holding a cold slab in my hands which feels and smells like any other plastic slab. It's just not the same feeling at all. frown.gif

isnt it spelled "Solaita" not Salida? Either way they are very nice books!

Lolita? 27_laughing.gif Nope, it's Salida, named after the town where the collection was discovered.

Alan

Ill have to update my collection database...thanx

How many books were there originally?

All right, enough Boston's for a while.

How about a White Mountain. Also, there is only one CGC 9.8 and three CGC 9.6's of this book. And since this copy has White Pages, I guess I could say this is the second nicest copy 638952-TTA%2390.jpg

589a8cf8dd39b_638952-TTA90.jpg.95b91c30ae21d4286d6fb7a386bb689b.jpg

Until Doug came along as a dealer, I didn't see many Pacific Coasts publically offered. There have been a ton of Western Penn's offered on Ebay, but most that I've seen have been late Silver and Bronze.

Curators seem to be the least available, and if you ever see one, you know it's a BSD reject(as is the case with most pedigree's anyway). Christo_pull_hair.gif

Until Doug came along as a dealer, I didn't see many Pacific Coasts publically offered. There have been a ton of Western Penn's offered on Ebay, but most that I've seen have been late Silver and Bronze.

Curators seem to be the least available, and if you ever see one, you know it's a BSD reject(as is the case with most pedigree's anyway). Christo_pull_hair.gif

confused.gif

Pacific Coast

Curators seem to be the least available, and if you ever see one, you know it's a BSD reject(as is the case with most pedigree's anyway).

A little harsh, but not as untrue as it may sound.

That said, I have lots of Silver-Age pedigree books (most in the 9.4 or higher range), and I don't think they are BSD rejects. Maybe the BSD already has a higher grade or another pedigree copy (in the same grade). Doug loves PC, so in many cases he will keep a PC copy of a book in the same grade as another copy.

Of the SA pedigrees, no question that Curators are a lot hard to come by then most.

confused.gif

Pacific Coast

Whoops foreheadslap.gif.....I was thinking mostly about auctions, and totally forgot about going directly to the source. Most of his prices are so ridiculous that I stopped looking at his site a long time ago.

Curators seem to be the least available, and if you ever see one, you know it's a BSD reject(as is the case with most pedigree's anyway).

A little harsh, but not as untrue as it may sound.

That said, I have lots of Silver-Age pedigree books (most in the 9.4 or higher range), and I don't think they are BSD rejects. Maybe the BSD already has a higher grade or another pedigree copy (in the same grade). Doug loves PC, so in many cases he will keep a PC copy of a book in the same grade as another copy.

Of the SA pedigrees, no question that Curators are a lot hard to come by then most.

My statement sounded untrue?

Anyway, you've got a point about upgrading. I didn't mean that the pedigree copies that are out there are in some way unworthy(overgraded, etc..) but in most cases it's a castaway for a nicer copy. I just got my PC copy of ASM #150 in the mail today, and it's an absolute stunner. But the really stunning examples from these pedigrees, ie; the books that give the pedigrees their reputation, are books that most of us will never get a chance to own.