• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

For the record, it's definitely possible to get 9.6s and 9.8s on books that have been read. The 9.8 JLA 24 that I posted above was read by me before I submitted it.

Tim;

Certainly glad to hear you've been reading your books before you send them in for grading. thumbsup2.gif

BTW: What makes you think it couldn't have gotten a 9.9 if you had sent it straight in without reading it first. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

For the record, it's definitely possible to get 9.6s and 9.8s on books that have been read. The 9.8 JLA 24 that I posted above was read by me before I submitted it.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you're still able to enjoy your books. How much precaution does it take to keep it in that grade though?

A lot! Reading is a pain, particularly opening the book in a way that allows you to view the pages while not cracking the spine. Storage is relatively easy: I store books in mylites, and then put the mylite, with a board outside the mylite, into a mylar, which makes the book pretty snug, but not too snug, inside the mylar. I then store them in acid free boxes. This has worked pretty well, as the JLA, along with other books that I've received 9.6s and 9.8s on, have all survived at least 3 moves before being submitted to CGC.

BTW: What makes you think it couldn't have gotten a 9.9 if you had sent it straight in without reading it first. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Wonderful, now I'll be tossing and turning all night. tongue.gif

In all seriousness, the funny thing is that despite being such a HG maven, 9.9 and 10.0 mean nothing to me. I'm sure people will laugh at this statement, but I find such grades to be completely arbitrary. I know there's a lot of folks who think ALL of CGC's grades are arbitrary, particularly above 9.0, and I can't say that I can predict with any great certainty which books CGC will assign a 9.8 as opposed to a 9.6. But, in my own mind I know what is a NM/M, a NM+ and a NM, and I can differentiate among my books on this basis, but I don't think I could ever identify any book, even newly bought off the rack, as a perfect 9.9 or 10.0.

There's a thread somewhere where Doug Schmell and Linmoth/Tom Hanlin discuss this very issue with respect to the PCs. I believe Doug was of the opinion that the PC books, particularly the spines, were so immaculate that they couldn't have been read, but Tom said that the PC OO was so knowledgeable about the stories and characters that he must have read the books. I don't know about the Western Penns, perhaps Tom could shed some light on whether the OO actually read the books.

Tim: I'm glad that you read the JLA 24 as that proves the point I was trying to make with Doug. I read most of the PC Marvels that I owned including the X-men 1 9.8. I read only a few of the DC's as I had copies of most of those books.

Of course I didn't read them (comics) like I did when I was a kid, but they were read.

The OO of the Wetern Penn bought multiple copies of most books so that he would have a reading copy.

The TOS 40 Western Penn copy that has shown up on Comiclink at times is the reading copy of that book. As time went on the OO bought many multiples of some of the "Collectors Edition First Issue" comics that Marvel published.

The Western Penn books were in laundry bags, stacked, placed in boxes, and stored in a basement.

As I have stated before, this information, other than what I saw first hand, was relayed to me by the person that discovered the collection. I was not that person.

Best, Tom

I can't really think of it. I've never let a Greenie go. confused-smiley-013.gif

I figured as much. Oh well, i guess ill have to try and beat you to one then confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

That is easily done. And there are multiples of many books out there too. flowerred.gif