• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Curator went that far? I didn't think they had 20 cent Curators much less almost 30 cent ones.

Sure their Curators, but you have to wonder why that matters. It's not like those comics are hard to find in HG. confused-smiley-013.gif

Still, there are a few BA Curators I'm tempted to buy. But it's just too hard to justify paying the premium.

How can you tell their curators? I don't see any arrival stamps or anything marking the set

Curator went that far? I didn't think they had 20 cent Curators much less almost 30 cent ones.

Sure their Curators, but you have to wonder why that matters. It's not like those comics are hard to find in HG. confused-smiley-013.gif

Still, there are a few BA Curators I'm tempted to buy. But it's just too hard to justify paying the premium.

How can you tell their curators? I don't see any arrival stamps or anything marking the set

Good question, how can you tell if its a curator?

Chain of provenance back to the owner, or some sort of certificate.

A majority of the Silver/Bronze pedigrees don't have any significant markings. Boston, Oakland, Pacific Coast, Curator, Western Penn, Diamond Run, Mass, Winnipeg, Northland and most Bowling Greens have nothing on em.

99% of the time an Ohio or GR has a date on it. A good deal of White Mountains have the pen year, Circle 8s have the....circle 8, and I think most Bethlehems have a date somewhere.

so in this day and age, you really are taking the word of a dealer/collector when it comes to peds. Remember the COA from the sports collectibles and how hot they were until the FBI made a large bust on one of the largest memobilia dealers(everything was fake w/ COA) and now they don't mean hooch since anyone can say this item came from that collection.

Sorry for being negative frown.gif.

85% of my peds are Ohios and came from the original dealer. I have enough of them scattered over '65 - '70 that I can match them up pretty well if a new one pops up from somewhere random.

The rest have usually been bought from the original dealer of the collection.

so in this day and age, you really are taking the word of a dealer/collector when it comes to peds. Remember the COA from the sports collectibles and how hot they were until the FBI made a large bust on one of the largest memobilia dealers(everything was fake w/ COA) and now they don't mean hooch since anyone can say this item came from that collection.

No, just realistic. My concern is that the origins of certain peds still remain enshrouded in fog. Unless the backstory and a list of the actual books within a collection are made public, how could anyone be sure that new books aren't being fed into the collection over time? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you have to make a choice to trust certain main players if you're going to get involved in pedigree collecting and paying the premium on many of these books. Just know what you're going into.

No, just realistic. My concern is that the origins of certain peds still remain enshrouded in fog. Unless the backstory and a list of the actual books within a collection are made public, how could anyone be sure that new books aren't being fed into the collection over time? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think you have to make a choice to trust certain main players if you're going to get involved in pedigree collecting and paying the premium on many of these books. Just know what you're going into.

An excellent appraisal Red.

Most of the Peds ive got I either got them from

a) the source, my Oaklands came from Vincent

b) someone who is very well respected and trusted. He also has been refereneced in a major article on pedigrees.

True. There have already been several instances of Heritage auctioning a GA comic as a pedigree copy when that issue didn't exist in the collection.

I agree completely that buying from the original finder or a reputable dealer, or obtaining the original certificate along with purchase are the only safe ways to go. I suspect these bronze Curators are coming from John Hauser, who has been selling books from this pedigree for nearly a decade. It's like getting Ohios from Nelson Dodds, Mass books from Marnin, Pacific Coasts from Robert Roter, Northlands from Motor City or Oaklands from Vincent. Indeed, in today's age of rampant restoration and "conservation" I prefer buying nonpedigree high grade books from original owner collections and the dealers who purchased them.

Indeed, the posted Curators did come directly from John Hauser. I was able to make a bulk purchase on the Conans (unfortunately minus the BWS issues which were already gone). He provided certificates for each comic. Personally, I have no reason to doubt John's word on these, but I do hear what you're saying about pedigree collecting in general.

Thanks to rob_react, a new pedigree DD in my collection cloud9.gif

dd0010.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Welcome to the Green River Club!

I'm waiting for my copy of the same GR issue to come back from Sarasota........I don't expect a 9.2, though.

Red