• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What`s a good scanner to scan CGC comics?

18 posts in this topic

I know it`s been asked before, but the search function here stinks, and I want updated scanning technology for CGCs.

So do you have any recommendations?

:)

Welcome to the Boards!

I just bought an HP 8250 based on several boardie recommendations. I've heard good things and got one for $70 shipped on eBay. FYI. Good luck!
Curious...what operating system are you running?

I've got an 8250 as well. I'm running it on OS X Mountain Lion.

I just bought an HP 8250 based on several boardie recommendations. I've heard good things and got one for $70 shipped on eBay. FYI. Good luck!

Mac Snow Leopard (haven't upgraded to Lion)

What scanning software do you use? I have iMac and I'm on Mountain Lion.

I use a 8250. What do you guys do to reduce the glare that shows up at the top of the book?

I have just been living with it.

But I also don't get to use the software that came with the scanner. The computer I have it hooked up to is running Vista (I know...) and it doesn't like it.

I have to pull my scans through windows photo gallery.

i just bought and going to return a Brother all in one the glare is bad. In the other thread someone said the glare is caused by the type of scanning element in the machine, CCD element or some such thing is what you want

Here is that post from Dr. Balls

"Just because it hasn't been mentioned in awhile:

The difference of you scan being blurry or crisp is the type of image capture technology your scanner has. In regards to scanning slabs, if you scanner has CIS (contact image sensor) the plastic of the slab will be sharp, while the book and label will be blurry. If your scanner has CCD (charged couple device), your case, book and label will be crisp and clear.

CCD method: Light from the light source is reflected by the document’s surface. This light is reflected further by a mirror, directed through a lens, and received by the CCD.

CIS method: The light from the three RGB color LEDs used as light source are reflected by the document. This reflected light is received in turn by the CIS sensor, which performs the actual scanning. The LEDs, lens, and sensor are integrated into a single module. Since these components are all rods of the same length in close contact, this method is called the “contact image sensor” method.

If you're buying a scanner for slabs, you need to buy one utilizing CCD technology.

I have purchased several of both for work (ad agency) and home, and CIS scanners just didn't cut it and I have had to re-buy scanners that are the older CCD technology. "

What scanning software do you use? I have iMac and I'm on Mountain Lion.

I'm just using the HP scan software.