• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banned for LIFE! PLEASE>>> NOOOOOOOOO!

34 posts in this topic

I thought it was me until I read some of the postings here on the boards. It's a mix.

Personally, I thought their grading had improved over the last 6 months or so. Then I received this "NM" in the mail day before yesterday....

wu4.jpg

Funny thing is....Chuck used to downgrade for production defects. I guess he's changed his criteria....

893whatthe.gif

Jim

I also had a bad experience with mile high, my very first order was a $150 spider-man 122....i requested insurance and they charged me $1.50 for it. i never received the book and asked about getting the refund, then they told me it wasn't insured even though i was charged for it. they refused to answer my emails after awhile, i cc'ed every one of their email addresses i could hunt down, even got chucks email through trial and error. finally i filed a complaint with the better business bureau and filed a formal complaint with my credit card company (which investigated and then ate the 150 dollar charge). i look forward to running into that guy at a convention sometime and telling him in certain choice words what i think of him and his business.

anyways, i dont take out my anger on the beautiful edgar church books and try to pick them up whenever i can afford it, but mile high the company will never see another red cent from myself or any of my friends.

I can believe this. I recently visited their main store in Denver, and spent about two hours poring through their boxes of bronze age books. I would say I only bothered to even scrutinize 1 in 15 of the books graded NM. Almost all of the NM's were

unread copies, but they weren't even boarded, and all had tons of spine dings from

lying in drawers with no board.

I ended up coming away with 5 NM books. They do all have nice page quality

though (coming from CO and all).

If there was a Comic Buyers Guide, er wait, well if there was a Collectors Buyers Guide I can assure you that one of the first entries would be..........

NO MH RAW BEFORE 1980

'nuff said makepoint.gif

OK guys, your influence had some impact on me. Yes, I can be swayed at times when hearing good arguments. I recently bought two lots of Bronze Age DCs from MH and was relatively happy with the grading on both. Although many were true NM, there were still some that were not. It's also not worth the hassle to me to return these relatively inexpensive books. I only ordered from them due to the large inventory and felt that it would be an easy way to pick up a nice lot.

But you guys now have me convinced. I won't be making another order through Mile High. After reading all about these experiences including grading along with customer service, I have come to the conclusion that I've just been lucky..... so far. I guess I'll just stick to what has always worked for me before, Ebay and conventions.

P.S. Sterling, yeah I did get some nice books in my two lots of about 30 each, but I would not call them a "Gold mine". I am just happy to have received some that were worth CGCing, others were not. But because they were all relatively inexpensive for their rarety, it was worth the risk, good luck. ------Sid

Stuart, just wanted to lend my support in this difficult time. I've asked Father Mike to say the mass for you this Sunday(and hell, I don't even go to church!).

You'll get past this. I know you will.

Best Wishes,

Jeff

P.S. So you're just banned for this lifetime, right? You can start buying again in your next incarnation...

well, just to put my experience in here.... I had no direct contact with Mile High before last year's San Diego show, where they had all the Dallas Stevens books available. I glanced through the books, and most of the books seemed overgraded. Not ridiculous, but VGs marked as Fs, VFs marked as NM etc, and the Dallas Stevens books were ridiculously overpriced anyway, so it was not a favorable impression.

A couple of weeks ago, I did look through their bronze horror books on their site and they had quite a few NM books marked at half off their regular prices. Some of these books are hard to find in high grade, so I figured I would give them another shot, just to see. I bought 7 books, all graded NM for about 80 bucks, including two copies of the same book to get an idea of their grading range. They arrived today. Looking though them, I would say all but one were unread copies. I would say 5 of them qualify as NM- or better. Two are pretty clearly VF due to spine stress obviously from sitting unboarded in a box for years and years. A couple of them are REALLY nice, including a HOM 254 80 pager. I got two copies of HOS 130, both graded NM, one was VF (unread but mulitple spine stresses) and the other was NM. Quite a difference between the two despite getting the same grade. There is almost no way you could look at these two books and say they are equal in grade. Three of the books came unboarded in the package 893frustrated.gif so they STILL have 70s books they grade as NM sitting unboarded in their stock. Overall, I feel fairly fortunate after reading all of these posts. I am going to keep all of the books, because I got a good price on the books that ended up VF and the Charltons are hard to find even in VF anyway..... Chuck's prices are high normally.... with the 50% discount some of these books are worth risking a try, but you are definately taking a risk on getting true high grade stuff...buy at your own risk.....

I thought it was me until I read some of the postings here on the boards. It's a mix.

Personally, I thought their grading had improved over the last 6 months or so. Then I received this "NM" in the mail day before yesterday....

wu4.jpg

Funny thing is....Chuck used to downgrade for production defects. I guess he's changed his criteria....

893whatthe.gif

Jim

wrong thread Jim, you need to post that in the miscut appreciation thread. Unless you have already. 893whatthe.gif

wu4.jpg

893whatthe.gif

Jim

wrong thread Jim, you need to post that in the miscut appreciation thread. Unless you have already. 893whatthe.gif

I may be the worst grader in the world, infact that has been mentioned on these same boards. However, I am right because I am the customer. If I was way out of line I could see the "banning for life", but ordering NM books and getting spine stressed VF copies is cheating your customers. Plain and simple, Chuck works on the volume approach, if he sells enough crappy books most of them will remain sold. Too many people take the "I don't want to complain " approach.

Tonight we ordered dinner for a large group. They forgot to send two sandwiches. If you were one of those poor souls that did not get your food you would be hungry tonight. I called and complained. Why pay for something you did not receive. I did not think I was bothering the restaurant by complaing. I/we paid for something we did not get. Should they ban us for complaining that things were not right???

If it happens again am I to balme? When do the sellers assume the responsibilty for the products they sell?

Some of you are too nice.Right is right, wrong is wrong, and then there is Chucks thinking: I am right you are wrong and no comics for you.