• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigreed copies or not? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

43 posts in this topic

I've seen several books with this little "a" followed by what looks like a capital "D." This is the only one I own.

Your book is from the Cape Cod collection. Most books from this collection have an "ND" on them, but a small percentage have an "AD".

Here is another one with "AD" on the cover.

zbigshot77_zps580b1444.jpg

I've seen several books with this little "a" followed by what looks like a capital "D." This is the only one I own.

Your book is from the Cape Cod collection. Most books from this collection have an "ND" on them, but a small percentage have an "AD".

Here is another one with "AD" on the cover.

zbigshot77_zps580b1444.jpg

Here are a couple more Cape Cods:

snipe4-2.jpg

snipe4-3.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]This is turning out to be a real interesting thread thread with all variety of sharp lookin' books from long forgotten original owner collections. :applause:

Kudos to everybody helping out providing info and great scans.[/font] (thumbs u

First, the penciled "L" or check mark. I have two high grade books with almost exactly the same marking in a similar location on the first letter of the book's title, upper left:

95ffa3e6-3871-4ad1-b23c-516857a202bd_zps1ecd2bf5.jpgf719677f-f6c1-448c-86f4-ef406187c31d_zps40178a8b.jpg

Does it mean anything? Maybe. Who knows. (shrug)

hm

oMbrtOx.jpgHRN2O40.jpg

First, the penciled "L" or check mark. I have two high grade books with almost exactly the same marking in a similar location on the first letter of the book's title, upper left:

95ffa3e6-3871-4ad1-b23c-516857a202bd_zps1ecd2bf5.jpgf719677f-f6c1-448c-86f4-ef406187c31d_zps40178a8b.jpg

Does it mean anything? Maybe. Who knows. (shrug)

hm

oMbrtOx.jpgHRN2O40.jpg

You should check out the Pep Comics #26 in the Gerber Photo-Journal. :o

I had the chance to buy that copy when Verzyl had it in 1991 for $600... guess I blew that one!

"Int" books are known for being a generally high grade collection of books from the late 30's and early 40's. Here's an example:

[font:Times New Roman]Ah! That's very interesting. I have one of those (I think)...[/font] hm

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Peter, do you know anything more about that collection?[/font] >>>>> :hi:

I don't, I just know that every "Int" copy I've seen is in the vf or better range with nice pages. Yours appears to be one of them.

I thought I would bump this thread just for the heck of it. I can't tell what letter this is supposed to be in the distributor's mark; it looks like a capital Greek phi to me. I thought someone might know what distributor was responsible for it. (It seems like I've seen similar markings a time or two.) I doubt it's from a CGC-recognized pedigree, but I thought it might be from a lesser, known collection.

139217.jpg.0c138a01b1eaced393c6c66f85a000c6.jpg

One thing I have noticed on a number of books is a "D" in pencil on the cover.

Here is one I have.

str14024a_zpsae48e78b.jpg

Here is a Church D on one of my MT obviously the D is different.

mar22373a_zps5f313f2f.jpg

I have a few others with a D (will try to post more) - in fact I feel like I see a "D" on a lot of books.

I assumed it was a coincidence or a poor attempt to make a book look like it was a Church.