• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daughter's Doctor Who Birthday and my "ghetto" Dalek...

25 posts in this topic

So this weekend was my daughter's 11th birthday and she wanted a Doctor Who themed party.

Each year she has a theme and in the past there have been themes of Monster High, Harry Potter, Nancy Drew and more...

It's been a busy couple of weeks getting ready for this but in the end it was worth it. These are some of the decorations and props we came up with:

Face of Boe

FoB_zps3324ee85.jpg

Vincent and the exploding TARDIS

vincent_zpsa773ce6b.jpg

Adipose

(My wife spent an afternoon making these cute little buggers!)

adipose_zps8209db41.jpg

Ten and the TARDIS

10_zps77dfd5f6.jpg

And this is what I call my 'ghetto' Dalek or maybe a Dalek from the Asylum... lol

After I found a wearable Dalek helmet on eBay and paid a lot more than any sane individual would, I thought it would be cool to build one to have at the party.

I looked online and found that there's an INCREDIBLE group of people who actually do these on a professional basis and immediately got very discouraged.

Well after finding a few random parts here and there from thrift shops, Goodwill and hardware stores... I decided to give it a go.

Aside from the helmet, I don't think I spent more than $12 for any one single piece. An oil drip pan from the dollar store, some outlet covers and other odds-n-ends from a Restore, a plastic laundry tub from a hardware store... foam floor covering from Goodwill... plunger head from another dollar store...

A desk chair from a thrift shop... odd curtain rods and a shower curtain bar... plastic 'make your own' Christmas ornaments on clearance from Michaels...

And yes, DUCT TAPE and plenty of Zip-ties! :D

d1_zps86533795.jpg

d2_zps0a6c969f.jpg

d3_zpscf23124a.jpg

d4_zpsec1d7416.jpg

d5_zps57e1ce7b.jpg

d6_zps17ee7a4b.jpg

d7_zps29ae0398.jpg

d8_zpse6b0b374.jpg

d9_zpsf14f76bd.jpg

And finally this was him set up tonight holding a balloon!

d10_zps04e01fe7.jpg

All together it took about a full day and a half but it was fun and the party was great!

The kids enjoyed it and even those that weren't familiar with Doctor Who really seemed to like the episodes that we were showing during the day!

:)

You are an awesome dad and I want to read the books (or at the least, peruse them for an afternoon) on your bookcase.

That dalek is at LEAST as good as what the BBC once aired. lol

Now all you need to do is drop about 300 bucks on a robotics kit and you can make that thing move around on its own. They make them for teaching kids robotics. I would highly suggest it. That would be amazing.

If I can remember the link I will post it here.

Thank you all for the kind remarks! :)

I have a few more pictures that I didn't get to earlier.

My wife spent a lot of time working on TARDIS gift bags for the kids and she made about 10 of these 'Power of Three' cubes...

bag-cubes_zpsdf089864.jpg

A 'BAD WOLF' mirror...

badwolf_zps91892c92.jpg

It seemed like there was Doctor Who everywhere... lol

clar-ang_zpsb32ac9fe.jpg

The long TARDIS in the back was just a covered Half and Half carton...

cyber_zpse2582968.jpg

Again, thanks for the comments...

This was a fun birthday party! :)

A+ for effort, and when it comes to your kids that matters more than anything else. In 10 years she'll still talk about when Dad made a Dalek....

and bonus points for raising a girl in the way of the Geek... as a dad with a daughter I hate seeing people steer their boys to the batman toys and the girls to the my little pony... Just let them find their own loves and support them!