• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

Thirdgreenham, Cimm, Chuck Gower, and a whole lot of others don't participate in the ball busting aspects of the boards. Those who do, can't arbitrarily decide when members take things too far, or the level of banter has reached toxic levels.

One of the things I realized really fast here, is that many times these discussions have very little to do with the points being made and are really just veiled assaults upon people who dislike each other.

I found it to be absolutely bizarre.

Like some kind of passive aggressive über nerd territorial pee pee ritual.

So rather than get caught up in the negativity, of which I am not overly fond of, I'd do my own passive aggressive stance of pretending I had no idea of what was really happening and either a) carry on the debate with what I thought were common sense ideas (of which were generally ignored) or b) make some of the silliest and most obvious points I could (at which point someone would essentially say, in so many words 'duh').

It was like giggling all the way through a serious drama. But hey, it's COMIC BOOKS.

Nevertheless, I think it's telling, that the mods don't read through everything. Because to really mod a forum, an understanding, as much as can be done, is important for truly overseeing a community like this.

The teacher who doesn't understand the social order of their classroom can easily end up punishing the wrong kid, just because they're picked on and end up giving them the most additional work.

This isn't a criticism of the mods. Just an observation. I have no idea how it works on that end. Most of the time it's as simple as masking is masking and politics is politics. But sometimes it's deeper than that.

Like I said previously, a TRUE ignore function could help.

[quote=

Or having grownups just ignore ( not put on ignore ) the people who rub them the wrong way for whatever reason (shrug)

Edited by Logan510

Thirdgreenham, Cimm, Chuck Gower, and a whole lot of others don't participate in the ball busting aspects of the boards. Those who do, can't arbitrarily decide when members take things too far, or the level of banter has reached toxic levels.

One of the things I realized really fast here, is that many times these discussions have very little to do with the points being made and are really just veiled assaults upon people who dislike each other.

I found it to be absolutely bizarre.

Like some kind of passive aggressive über nerd territorial pee pee ritual.

Serious_Nod_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif

Serious_Nod_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif

Or having grownups just ignore ( not put on ignore ) the people who rub them the wrong way for whatever reason (shrug)

That's not going to happen. Ever. It won't happen on their own because they are who they are...and it won't happen by the mods because that's the whole problem being discussed.

What will work, is what works in real life: I don't see you, you don't see me.

Simple.

[quote=

A friend of mine in college used to watch this political program on TV, despite the fact he couldn't stand the guy. He used to yell at the screen and tell the guy he was wrong.

I'd say, "You know he can't hear you".

He say, "Shut up".

I thought it was hilarious. And very telling.

[quote=

A friend of mine in college used to watch this political program on TV, despite the fact he couldn't stand the guy. He used to yell at the screen and tell the guy he was wrong.

I'd say, "You know he can't hear you".

He say, "Shut up".

I thought it was hilarious. And very telling.

Sounds like he had some issues. I occasionally yell at the screen when I'm watching a Bears or Bulls game...and yes, I know they can't hear me ;)

RMA doesn't need me to defend him, but he is my friend.

So one final thought.

Just because you (universal you; this applies to many board members) haven't grown as an individual over the last five years of your board history doesn't mean others have not. If you cannot see that RMA isn't the same poster that he was yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, I pity you.

I sincerely, lovingly, earnestly pity you.

So, I remember RMA when he had a different name, from many moons ago...in a galaxy far away called the eBay chatboard. He got into a few "tiffs" there, mostly with one person.

He actually gave up after a while, and drifted off. He was upset, but no where near as upset as he gets on here.

Here he's still upset about a perceived slight to Jason (Mr Diggler) that happened eons ago...I never see Jason complain about it, because Jason...well, he's someone who doesn't get all that upset about unimportant stuff.

He (RMA) is also upset about a perceived slight from the Mods, something that happened at least a year ago. I don't even remember when it was, but RMA does...because he cannot seem to let go of stuff. I said years ago, that he would make a really good defense attorney, but I don't think that's his profession.

He's STILL upset about what? A short vacation from the boards?

STILL posting emoticons, making references to this vacation....He's still claiming that the moderator's job is easy,

As far as I can see... it would be easy to do mass bannings...not so easy to take stuff with the many grains of salt that are used here...and it's embarrassing to see the absolute lack of respect for the people who try to keep this place running smoothly.

RMA's first thread here was bashing someone who took a return, and paid return postage, he's still posting threads bashing people on eBay, the last one, was someone who didn't seem to do anything wrong other than buy something he was not comfortable keeping.

So, no...I don't see a change. It would be NICE to see a change, because it hopefully would result in something more productive.

Feel free to pity me;) I'll forget about it shortly, because life is just too short to hold grudges over this kind of stuff.

Hold grudges over terrorists, people who murder children...but strike vacations?

:shrug:

Still makes no sense to me...

I missed this the first time around, because I have skypinkblu on ignore, but skypinblu has lied about me privately to others, borne false witness about me, so anything she has to say about me has to be viewed in that context.

Suffice it to say that none of what she has said here is true, either. I suspect if I discussed the events leading up to Lincoln's assassination, she'd accuse me of being "upset" about that as well. Skypinkblu doesn't understand the issue, because she's not interested in understanding the issue.

That she insists on making the issue personal, about me, in an attempt to discredit me, is also a perfect example of the problem this board has.

Anyone...skypinkblu, Dano, whomever...who has to make this issue about INDIVIDUALS is contributing to the toxic environment.

Why did skypinkblu post this? Because she is guilty of exactly what she's accusing me of: holding a grudge. She has no problem with shading the truth, or outright lying, because she wants everyone else to believe her version of me.

And that's really pretty sad.

I bear skypinkblu no ill will, even though she has consistently gone out of her way to damage my reputation. I really just wish she'd stop posting to or about me, publicly and privately.

That's not too much to ask, really.

Sky got this right. Go back and read it.

Dan

No, Dano, she didn't get any of it right. You don't know anything about me, so you aren't in any position to tell. You're just trying to get your shots in.

Doesn't that get old...? Seriously, why contribute to the hatred...?

Political discussions are just another way that people pretend to talk about an issue, but are really just saying, "I hate you".

But I love you all.Hug.gif

This is the part where we all start singing Lennon's 'Imagine'. :acclaim:

Well at least you don't have me on ignore. :cloud9:

Dan

No, Dano, she didn't get any of it right. You don't know anything about me, so you aren't in any position to tell. You're just trying to get your shots in.

Doesn't that get old...?

The good outnumber you, they always will.

Dan

Dan

Doesn't that get old...?

Dan

So, now it is about "good" and "bad?" And who are you to decide that?

-slym

Dan

Doesn't that get old...?

Dan

Seriously, Dano...doesn't the hatred get old?

What is it about hate that is so inspiring, that it fuels you to say these things?

:(

RMA doesn't need me to defend him, but he is my friend.

So one final thought.

Just because you (universal you; this applies to many board members) haven't grown as an individual over the last five years of your board history doesn't mean others have not. If you cannot see that RMA isn't the same poster that he was yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, I pity you.

I sincerely, lovingly, earnestly pity you.

So, I remember RMA when he had a different name, from many moons ago...in a galaxy far away called the eBay chatboard. He got into a few "tiffs" there, mostly with one person.

He actually gave up after a while, and drifted off. He was upset, but no where near as upset as he gets on here.

Here he's still upset about a perceived slight to Jason (Mr Diggler) that happened eons ago...I never see Jason complain about it, because Jason...well, he's someone who doesn't get all that upset about unimportant stuff.

He (RMA) is also upset about a perceived slight from the Mods, something that happened at least a year ago. I don't even remember when it was, but RMA does...because he cannot seem to let go of stuff. I said years ago, that he would make a really good defense attorney, but I don't think that's his profession.

He's STILL upset about what? A short vacation from the boards?

STILL posting emoticons, making references to this vacation....He's still claiming that the moderator's job is easy,

As far as I can see... it would be easy to do mass bannings...not so easy to take stuff with the many grains of salt that are used here...and it's embarrassing to see the absolute lack of respect for the people who try to keep this place running smoothly.

RMA's first thread here was bashing someone who took a return, and paid return postage, he's still posting threads bashing people on eBay, the last one, was someone who didn't seem to do anything wrong other than buy something he was not comfortable keeping.

So, no...I don't see a change. It would be NICE to see a change, because it hopefully would result in something more productive.

Feel free to pity me;) I'll forget about it shortly, because life is just too short to hold grudges over this kind of stuff.

Hold grudges over terrorists, people who murder children...but strike vacations?

Still makes no sense to me...

I missed this the first time around, because I have skypinkblu on ignore, but skypinblu has lied about me privately to others, borne false witness about me, so anything she has to say about me has to be viewed in that context.

Suffice it to say that none of what she has said here is true, either. Skypinkblu doesn't understand the issue, because she's not interested in understanding the issue.

That she insists on making the issue personal, about me, in an attempt to discredit me, is also a perfect example of the problem this board has.

Anyone...skypinkblu, Dano, whomever...who has to make this issue about INDIVIDUALS is contributing to the toxic environment.

Why did skypinkblu post this? Because she is guilty of exactly what she's accusing me of: holding a grudge. She has no problem with shading the truth, or outright lying, because she wants everyone else to believe her version of me.

And that's really pretty sad.

I bear skypinkblu no ill will, even though she has consistently gone out of her way to damage my reputation. I really just wish she'd stop posting to or about me, publicly and privately.

That's not too much to ask, really.

It's not too much to ask at all.

And it would help lay to rest another issue around here which is this idea that there is some kind of collective righteousness within the forum of which a few choice individuals hold the keys to.

I'll be a pariah before I ever let someone tell me how I should think.

Political discussions are just another way that people pretend to talk about an issue, but are really just saying, "I hate you".

But I love you all.Hug.gif

This is the part where we all start singing Lennon's 'Imagine'. :acclaim:

Well at least you don't have me on ignore. :cloud9:

Never! I like you! :foryou: