• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

OK, is this friendly ribbing or outright hate?

???

You sound like a mod trying to decipher a thread.

They have questions about whether or not boardies are mods in "secret."

:devil:

-slym

You mod, you.

My only issue is getting wrist slaps or strikes with no reference as to what the offending post was. I got a wrist slap for politics last month, and I have no idea what the moderator saw. Some topics verge on politics but aren't quite there, so if I stepped over the line, I was unaware of it, but since I don't know which post it was, I didn't learn much. (shrug)

I got one on Thursday - and I have no idea what the post was. Every now and again I'll get a strike/slaps for things like girls in Iron Man bikinis or something - that's just the way it goes around here.

My strike was for

Offensive language and masking in 'CGC HIRES MATT "PANCAKE" NELSON'

which was a thread doomed to be deleted within the hour it was started. I have no idea what I did either, as what is considered "offensive" or "masking" around here has a lot to do with who is humping the mod button at the given moment. I am one of the slowest ducks in the flock around here, but I seem to have a fan club.

OK, is this friendly ribbing or outright hate?

???

You sound like a mod trying to decipher a thread.

They have questions about whether or not boardies are mods in "secret."

:devil:

You mod, you.

Oh, no... not me.

:whistle:

-slym

My only issue is getting wrist slaps or strikes with no reference as to what the offending post was. I got a wrist slap for politics last month, and I have no idea what the moderator saw. Some topics verge on politics but aren't quite there, so if I stepped over the line, I was unaware of it, but since I don't know which post it was, I didn't learn much. (shrug)

I got one on Thursday - and I have no idea what the post was. Every now and again I'll get a strike/slaps for things like girls in Iron Man bikinis or something - that's just the way it goes around here.

My strike was for

which was a thread doomed to be deleted within the hour it was started. I have no idea what I did either, as what is considered "offensive" or "masking" around here has a lot to do with who is humping the mod button at the given moment. I am one of the slowest ducks in the flock around here, but I seem to have a fan club.

:hi: Lizzie

RMA doesn't need me to defend him, but he is my friend.

So one final thought.

Just because you (universal you; this applies to many board members) haven't grown as an individual over the last five years of your board history doesn't mean others have not. If you cannot see that RMA isn't the same poster that he was yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, I pity you.

I sincerely, lovingly, earnestly pity you.

So, I remember RMA when he had a different name, from many moons ago...in a galaxy far away called the eBay chatboard. He got into a few "tiffs" there, mostly with one person.

He actually gave up after a while, and drifted off. He was upset, but no where near as upset as he gets on here.

Here he's still upset about a perceived slight to Jason (Mr Diggler) that happened eons ago...I never see Jason complain about it, because Jason...well, he's someone who doesn't get all that upset about unimportant stuff.

He (RMA) is also upset about a perceived slight from the Mods, something that happened at least a year ago. I don't even remember when it was, but RMA does...because he cannot seem to let go of stuff. I said years ago, that he would make a really good defense attorney, but I don't think that's his profession.

He's STILL upset about what? A short vacation from the boards?

STILL posting emoticons, making references to this vacation....He's still claiming that the moderator's job is easy,

As far as I can see... it would be easy to do mass bannings...not so easy to take stuff with the many grains of salt that are used here...and it's embarrassing to see the absolute lack of respect for the people who try to keep this place running smoothly.

RMA's first thread here was bashing someone who took a return, and paid return postage, he's still posting threads bashing people on eBay, the last one, was someone who didn't seem to do anything wrong other than buy something he was not comfortable keeping.

So, no...I don't see a change. It would be NICE to see a change, because it hopefully would result in something more productive.

Feel free to pity me;) I'll forget about it shortly, because life is just too short to hold grudges over this kind of stuff.

Hold grudges over terrorists, people who murder children...but strike vacations?

:shrug:

Still makes no sense to me...

My strike was for

Stay sweet man :)

There is a great variation of that story that a close friend of mine tells. When he was first on the job he was stationed to do a traffic detail by the 59th street bridge. The story that arch told is age old and my buddy had been itching to use it.

Upon a guy going through the light to make the bridge my friend directed him to pull over. The guy was belligerent and my friend even to this day is not a PO that gives a ticket unless he has to. The guy was originally going to get a warning but became increasingly belligerent not wanting to "hear the lecture" as my friend tells it.

"You Piece of S, why don't you stop the others that are doing the same thing?"

"Sir, have you ever going fishing? When you go fishing do you catch ALL the fish?"

Heh

There is a great variation of that story that a close friend of mine tells. When he was first on the job he was stationed to do a traffic detail by the 59th street bridge. The story that arch told is age old and my buddy had been itching to use it.

Upon a guy going through the light to make the bridge my friend directed him to pull over. The guy was belligerent and my friend even to this day is not a PO that gives a ticket unless he has to. The guy was originally going to get a warning but became increasingly belligerent not wanting to "hear the lecture" as my friend tells it.

"You Piece of S, why don't you stop the others that are doing the same thing?"

"Sir, have you ever going fishing? When you go fishing do you catch ALL the fish?"

Heh

Of course, there is no discussion here - you just get the punishment, and when your posts are deleted, it's hard to tell what you've done. You can't even read your strike pm until you get back, and by then, the thread was deleted two weeks prior.

(Stands behind Arch)

Arch is in the house, punks. Let's see who is posting swear words and begging for strikes now! That's right. Not so big now, are you?

I as well would like to stand behind our overlords mods.

I got a strike, I deserved it, like every single other person who gets a strike does.

Whining about it is ridiculous, period.

This, my friends, is as example of the successful rehabilitation of the convicted and their subsequent reintegration into society.

I get the best strikes

I'll never know how one feels :)

PM me your password.

If you're going to respond again, RMA, turn the volume on the outrage down. It's not constructive.

:eyeroll:

You seem to have great difficulty in determining the difference between "outrage" and someone forthrightly disagreeing with your assessment of the situation.

You do, however, have a very easy time with threatening people. After all..."non constructive" conversation (with what is, and what is not, constructive of course being up to you) is a violation of policy, and a strikable offense.

I really wish you, and whomever it is that is contracted to do this work for the Certified Collectibles Group, would move on to some other company already and let someone else take your place. You really don't seem to be able to handle it when people take issue with the way you do your job.

I do hope that wasn't too "outrageous" for you.

(thumbs u