• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

I've begun work on a massive Comics General Friends & Foes Flowchart. Due to its size & complexity, it won't be publication ready until the holidays.
Can I be on your team? :D

I'm ready to sell the Comics General Friends & Foes Flowchart. Interested in buying?

I've begun work on a massive Comics General Friends & Foes Flowchart. Due to its size & complexity, it won't be publication ready until the holidays.

I'm ready to sell the Comics General Friends & Foes Flowchart. Interested in buying?

Slay your enemies and all you desire shall be yours!

Slay your enemies and all you desire shall be yours!

Having you & OldGuy posting again is sensational. :banana:

If it includes the stalking button-humpers, I'm in.

If it includes the stalking button-humpers, I'm in.

HA!

Do you think more people button-hump because they're truly delicate, fragile little flowers who are easily shocked, or is it more often done because they like the feeling of control they have over someone else by using their power to anonymously tattle? hm

Do you think more people button-hump because they're truly delicate, fragile little flowers who are easily shocked, or is it more often done because they like the feeling of control they have over someone else by using their power to anonymously tattle? hm

:facepalm:

Are we expecting moderators to read every single post on these boards?

Absolutely not. Did I imply that? I don't think I did. I certainly wasn't thinking it.

Absolutely not. Did I imply that? I don't think I did. I certainly wasn't thinking it.

No - it was just a question in general but I thought it might be appropriate to what you originally posted.

No - it was just a question in general but I thought it might be appropriate to what you originally posted.

What I was certainly implying was that people hump the mommy button far too often, and I'm curious as to what the primary reason is since things are largely civil around here--at least compared to plenty of other forums I'm familiar with. I've seen forums that are more civil and as RMA suggests, it's due to a higher moderator presence where regular contributors act as moderators. I think I've notified about a half-dozen times for two reasons--bot spammers and outright threats such as that one Mark sent Jason's way. I may have never actually notified due to threats since they're rare, but I have on other forums. I'd probably hump over very repetitive trolling, but I can't remember ever seeing it.

What I was certainly implying was that people hump the mommy button far too often, and I'm curious as to what the primary reason is since things are largely civil around here--at least compared to plenty of other forums I'm familiar with. I've seen forums that are more civil and as RMA suggests, it's due to a higher moderator presence where regular contributors act as moderators. I think I've notified about a half-dozen times for two reasons--bot spammers and outright threats such as that one Mark sent Jason's way. I may have never actually notified due to threats since they're rare, but I have on other forums. I'd probably hump over very repetitive trolling, but I can't remember ever seeing it.

i84ac9.jpg

lol

I'm fairly certain you are correct in your assumption that some forum members are more likely to notify the mods (or button hump as you so eloquently put it :D ) It just seems logical that there are people that see it as their duty to do such. But is this an assumption - or is there some way of KNOWING that are certain indviduals notifying the mods much more often than most?

It's very rare that I ever see someone post up "mods notified". Just asking if there is a way to be certain.

Edited by Tony S

Most of the time you see "Mods notified" it is a joke. Every time I have ever hit the mods notified button, it has indicated that the Mods have already been notified. My standard for hitting the button is pretty high. I think I have done it 6 or 8 times in the time I have been here. Probably 5 of those are Nerf before i put him on Ignore.

Delicate little ginger are we? :baiting:

I've notified the mods once....on myself...because I had hot-linked an image in the past, and a fellow forum member let me know via PM that the image had been replaced with something truly disturbing. I asked the mods to remove my post to remove the offending image.

Most of the time you see "Mods notified" it is a joke. Every time I have ever hit the mods notified button, it has indicated that the Mods have already been notified.

Yep, I've tested how often people call for mommy that exact same way, not to actually do it myself but because it lets you know when someone else already has. Some people clearly have it on a hair trigger.