• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

I'm fairly certain you are correct in your assumption that some forum members are more likely to notify the mods (or button hump as you so eloquently put it :D ) It just seems logical that there are people that see it as their duty to do such. But is this an assumption - or is there some way of KNOWING that are certain indviduals notifying the mods much more often than most?

There's no way to know who's doing it, no, although some people here do admit to doing it. Not many. I asked the question because I don't think the hair-trigger notifiers do it out of a sense of duty, I think they do it because they get off on it or they just find it enjoyable to tattle. When testing the notify feature to see if someone's already used it, I've seen MANY posts people call for mommy on that clearly didn't deserve it.

Most of the time you see "Mods notified" it is a joke. Every time I have ever hit the mods notified button, it has indicated that the Mods have already been notified. My standard for hitting the button is pretty high. I think I have done it 6 or 8 times in the time I have been here. Probably 5 of those are Nerf before i put him on Ignore.

I'm the same way.

My "Mod Notify" episodes are usually something that falls into one of two categories:

1) Poster is a massive knob job....disregards the parameters and guidelines for the forum with impunity, posting 15 individual WTB threads, one each for issue in the original Iron Fist run, or 10 individual sales threads each one for a single book, and won't respond to posts and PM's to delete to flotsam and jetsam and consolidate where it becomes clear they just want to take up front page real estate, either intentionally or as a result of relentless and unabated navel gazing.

2) Poster is a mega-massive knob job.... threats, racist, sexist, etc. comments.

Much like you Fingh, almost always someone has beaten me to the hump.

I'm fairly certain you are correct in your assumption that some forum members are more likely to notify the mods (or button hump as you so eloquently put it :D ) It just seems logical that there are people that see it as their duty to do such. But is this an assumption - or is there some way of KNOWING that are certain indviduals notifying the mods much more often than most?

There's no way to know who's doing it, no, although some people here do admit to doing it. Not many. I asked the question because I don't think the hair-trigger notifiers do it out of a sense of duty, I think they do it because they get off on it or they just find it enjoyable to tattle. When testing the notify feature to see if someone's already used it, I've seen MANY posts people call for mommy on that clearly didn't deserve it.

2) Poster is a mega-massive knob job.... threats, racist, sexist, etc. comments.

Do the mods react to racist or sexist comments? There are a few posters like that who disgust me, but I wouldn't notify because they've got the right to their opinion even if it's butt-dumb.

What's in the vid? Youtube is blocked where I'm at. :blush:

Most of the time you see "Mods notified" it is a joke. Every time I have ever hit the mods notified button, it has indicated that the Mods have already been notified.

Yep, I've tested how often people call for mommy that exact same way, not to actually do it myself but because it lets you know when someone else already has. Some people clearly have it on a hair trigger.

Two posts - and I learned two new things today. I had no idea posting "mods notified" is normally a joke. Geez. How dense of me :tonofbricks: And I also had no idea that clicking on mods notified would let you know if someone else already had. At least I don't feel so dumb for not knowing that - I've only notified the mods two or three times my years here. For the most part if people are arguing and ridiculous I go find another more interesting thread. Or if it's really good I sit and watch the train wreck unfold...

Thanks for the info....

Do the mods react to racist or sexist comments? There are a few posters like that who disgust me, but I wouldn't notify because they've got the right to their opinion even if it's butt-dumb.

I am talking about hate speech. There's a guy that was banned for it "Carolina-something". He's come back as a few shills. Hate speech isn't protected speech. They tend to react to it pretty quickly.

What's in the vid? Youtube is blocked where I'm at. :blush:

Goodfellas.

"You've just learned the two greatest lessons in life. one, never rat on your friends, and two, always keep your mouth shut."

I'm going to play a drinking game.

Every time FF uses a derogatory word in describing the moderator approved moderation on this site, I'm going to take a drink.

Oh wait, I'm already drunk.

Take a bonus drink if the self defined arbitor of reason degrading anyone involved in moderator approved of moderation makes you laugh.

I need to lie down now.

I would say not, considering what has been posted and left around on here without any strikes being issued.

They really hate masking though.

Most of the time you see "Mods notified" it is a joke. Every time I have ever hit the mods notified button, it has indicated that the Mods have already been notified.

Yep, I've tested how often people call for mommy that exact same way, not to actually do it myself but because it lets you know when someone else already has. Some people clearly have it on a hair trigger.

Two posts - and I learned two new things today. I had no idea posting "mods notified" is normally a joke. Geez. How dense of me :tonofbricks: And I also had no idea that clicking on mods notified would let you know if someone else already had. At least I don't feel so dumb for not knowing that - I've only notified the mods two or three times my years here. For the most part if people are arguing and ridiculous I go find another more interesting thread. Or if it's really good I sit and watch the train wreck unfold...

Thanks for the info....

Oh yeah, I'd say almost always that if someone posts "Mod Notified" it's a joke. If they notify, they notify, if they post they notify they are making with the funny fun time.

variations include

***Mods Mortified***

***Mods REALLY Notified***

***Nods Motified***

etc etc.

Most folks here are passive-aggressive which makes the mod notify button the weapon of choice, silent, deadly, and leaves no trace.

Clicking it and posting it would be an aggressive-aggressive action. Not many of those guys here.

I would say not, considering what has been posted and left around on here without any strikes being issued.

I guess it depends on the severity of the comment.

Calling Fingh a ginger-tinged-nancy-boy is not what I was talking about, the truly tasteless, hate steeped stuff that is usually met with a deletion, a poof, a strike, etc.

They've issued strikes in the past for wasting moderators time with over-notification (when someone has a hard on for someone else - link goes to deathlok example)

Seems like a few posters have expressed an issue with other parties chasing or trolling them with button humping. I wonder if the mods could generate a report "user_notifier to user_poster" surely the mods are appreciative and the forum is bettered by responsible notifications but they should create some accountability & track abuse on the notifier side (if none exists today)

If someone reports on the same user 15 times in a month that is probably a waste of moderator time and a "warning - do not notify us for this user" should be sufficient to take the button out of the hands of someone who uses it for personal reasons rather than to improve the overall forum.

Maybe none of the above applies, maybe the supposed victims of button humping who have gotten warnings, wrist-slaps or strikes are NOT being reported on and have simply put themselves on the mod radar - let's face it, the forum functionality allows cgcmod0 to click 'follow user' on you and then you get scrutinized more closely...

(shrug)

Edited by bababooey

Masking is just easy to catch because there's no context necessary, so it's an easy strike.

I agree that more consistent moderating (and better communication regarding strikes) would better serve this place.

Writing up a ticket and not letting the person know why they were ticketed in the first place really doesn't make anything better, which is the entire reason behind law enforcement in the first place.

FU, Hippie.

When you say that it tickles my cockleberries.

*** Mods Nauseated ***

Mods, moderating, Arch, cabals, coteries, PM's, Brits, Euros, Canadians, ignore function, ignore, trolls, troll baiting, memes, butthurt, friends & foes, hippies, Jack Kirby, fingh.

Mods, moderating, Arch, cabals, coteries, PM's, Brits, Euros, Canadians, ignore function, ignore, trolls, troll baiting, memes, butthurt, friends & foes, hippies, Jack Kirby, fingh.

The Kirby bit was worthwhile.

Now post a pic of Funky Flashman.