• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 3 : Contest

79 posts in this topic

Funny you used a golf analogy, 'cause I was thinking of this grading contest as something like Captain's Choice, or best ball-- where each team's best individual performance in each round is the one that is counted for that team.

Not the same thing at all, as a 300 yard drive straight down the fairway, an iron shot 1-inch from the cup, or a long putt straight in, are all measurable, quantitative feats, while guessing a comic grade is not.

Hmmm, should we choose my 300 yard drive in the middle of the fairway or the one Zonker launched into the trees... Hmmmm, I wonder... 27_laughing.gif

Hmmm, should we choose my grade of 9.2 or Zonker's grade of 9.0?

Grading is an art, not a sport. 893naughty-thumb.gif

GOD HELP ME... I AGREE WITH JC 893whatthe.gif

GRADING IS AN ART...NOT A SPORT thumbsup2.gif

How the h_ll is this book a 9.2, pray tell? With that one inch color break, how can this book receive any higher than an 8.5 if it were otherwise perfect, and an 8.0 in light of the obvious spine indentation on the back cover? My books sure-as-shootin' don't receive this kind of leeway in Sarasota. 893whatthe.gif

Dunno... confused-smiley-013.gif a 1/2 inch spine bend and a chip on the bottom edge? A generous 9.2 to say the least.

I'm starting to think I have a lot more NMs in my collection than I previously thought.

tonofbricks.gif

My whole collection must be 10.0 GEM MINTS! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

We definitely needed the graders' notes on that so we'd have known if it was a crease or a production flaw. 893frustrated.gif

As previously noted, we checked other scans of the same issue and could tell that wasn't part of the artwork. We chose to grade down for it. Curses, foiled again!

boo.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

That is the ugliest 9.2 I have ever seen. 893frustrated.gif

Hey, SS....we gotta live and learn. I said the same thing about that "7.0" 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Daredevil 77!

Yeah, some people get way too caught up on one noticeable defect and then let it drive the whole grade. I count myself as a pretty strict grader, and had no problem assigning a 9.0.

Hey, SS....we gotta live and learn. I said the same thing about that "7.0" 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Daredevil 77!

Yeah, some people get way too caught up on one noticeable defect and then let it drive the whole grade. I count myself as a pretty strict grader, and had no problem assigning a 9.0.

But why shouldn't "one noticeable defect" drive the whole grade? confused.gif

Can you have a near mint book with a cover tear? (Excluding GA books, of course... because, seriously, if we honestly and didn't grade them on a curve they wouldn't be worth ANYTHING, would they?)

Right, we said 9.0 as well but it just doesn't seem right for a book with that kind of crease and the problems in the back. Would you have a problem assigning it a 9.2?

I'm wondering what the full grading notes said regarding that LRC.

So what did this turn out to be? A production error or a scratch?

It's not on any other Astonishing Tales #25s I've seen.

deathlok-corner.jpg

Production error.... wink.gif

Nikos had told me that it is a production error....... 893frustrated.gif

I'm wondering what the full grading notes said regarding that LRC.

Personally speaking, I don't think it's a crease, but a wear mark, and as such, would be graded differently.

Correction: It was definitely described to us as not being a crease.. so you are correct. (Still not sure what it is though.)

I certainly thought it looked better than an 8.0 but all those apparent defects threw me off. On to the next one.

deathlok-corner.jpg

When and where?!?!?!?!? 893frustrated.gif

deathlok-corner.jpg

I was told it might have been part of the artwork, but definitely not a crease!

Or to put it a different way, you could team FFB and his 3 dogs, Newt and 3 monkeys from the local zoo, or even BILL43 and 3 pet rocks... and they'd still finish at the top.

Hooo-hoo-hoo-hah-hah-hah-HAH-HAAAAA

deathlok-corner.jpg

I was told it might have been part of the artwork, but definitely not a crease!

I'm glad most of my guys are Silver-Age collectors like me.

No one had a copy to compare and everyone thought it was part of the artwork and gave it a 9.0-9.4. 27_laughing.gif

yeah i sent a pm to every member of my team saying i thought it was think i said 9.2 or 9.0 I asked them to send me a pm if they disagreed.

i did not get a PM so imagine my suprise when my team vote came through a 7.5

893censored-thumb.gif DEMOCRACY!!!!!!

yeah i sent a pm to every member of my team saying i thought it was think i said 9.2 or 9.0 I asked them to send me a pm if they disagreed.

That wasn't a team vote. mad.gif

sorry.gif

That wasn't a team vote. mad.gif

sorry.gif

MK, meet Rosemarysbaby. Rosemarysbaby, meet MK.

There. insane.gif