• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional? Really?

81 posts in this topic

Very decent looking 8.5.

No doubt, but on a dirt common BA book in 8.5 seems a bit ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It is all relative. If I collected lower graded CGC books, I would still want the best presenting copies, and maybe a CVA sticker helps me find the best, even at 8.5.

The one thing I will say about the CVA sticker, it's presence will give me more confidence to bid on a Clink book. Because Clink does not show the Back Cover I often find myself shying away from certain books. If I see the CVA sticker, I assume the back cover is clean.

That's a good point, I hadn't though of that.

Too bad about the 3" tear on the interior that the CVA sticker didn't warn you about :ohnoez:

They should place the sticker over the notation...or the tear hm

Very decent looking 8.5.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It is all relative. If I collected lower graded CGC books, I would still want the best presenting copies, and maybe a CVA sticker helps me find the best, even at 8.5.

Yeah, if the CVA people actually cracked the slab & inspected the book, they could most likely help you find the nicest-presenting copy for the grade. They don't, though.

Very decent looking 8.5.

Yeah, if the CVA people actually cracked the slab & inspected the book, they could most likely help you find the nicest-presenting copy for the grade. They don't, though.

All they really care about is the front and back cover. If someone buys the slab with no intention of selling or cracking out, that's all that really matters right?

I know in the end none of what I said really matters either way because they can't know who will do what with the book after it's purchased.

I don't get it. Isn't the CGC grade for the whole book? Front cover, back cover and the pages. Now people are saying the CGC numbers are incorrect and they need an extra sticker...

This thread is confusing me...

The one thing I will say about the CVA sticker, it's presence will give me more confidence to bid on a Clink book. Because Clink does not show the Back Cover I often find myself shying away from certain books. If I see the CVA sticker, I assume the back cover is clean.

That's a good point, I hadn't though of that.

Too bad about the 3" tear on the interior that the CVA sticker didn't warn you about :ohnoez:

There's an INTERIOR?! :o

I don't get it. Isn't the CGC grade for the whole book? Front cover, back cover and the pages. Now people are saying the CGC numbers are incorrect and they need an extra sticker...

You are correct, the CGC grade is for the whole book. The aforementioned 3 inch tear on the interior scenario would knock the grade down considerably. The CVA sticker

is telling you the book looks good for the grade. It's reporting on the eye appeal of the book without knowing, or caring about, the tear. I can't say I would pay for the sticker but as a buyer it helps. Certainly doesn't hurt.

Funny how that worked out. Comiclink makes CVA relevant, and CVA makes back cover scans irrelevant. A symbiotic relationship. hm

Funny how that worked out. Comiclink makes CVA relevant, and CVA makes back cover scans irrelevant. A symbiotic relationship. hm

The back covers don't get graded so it doesn't matter.

What CVA is saying is that not all 8.5s are the same. Some 8.5s present much better than others, and a CVA sticker indicates those they feel are at the high end of the spectrum.

Assuming your comment was refering to the spine realignment fiasco... :roflmao:

Look, I know this is rehashing, but this idea is so ludicrous I literally can't help myself.

CGC is criticized in many ways for entombing books and I'll admit I'm a slave and love my slabbed books. I trust in their ability to grade, based albeit, on an unpublished set of criteria, and perform an invaluable resto check. In the tens of thousands of graded books there are absolutely examples where books seem to be overgraded or undergraded. I think, based on volume that's to be expected. The questionable slabs are a point of contention on one hand and an opportunity on the other, depending who's buying and who's selling.

Now introduce CVA. A company who places a sticker on a book that they think looks good? This is a 3rd party opinion on a 3rd party opinion. Have we become so useless that we rely on someone to let us know the subjective attractiveness of a collectible? You have these two gelatinous balls above your nose. They're connected to a nerve that sends signals to an empty, cavernous area in your skull where your brain is supposed to be. Use them and look at the comic. It requires very little ability, yet there clearly seems a need for someone to perform the task for us.

David Cross does a joke in his standup about how he wants to start a business that describes how pork tastes to kosher people. This idea is equally nonsensical.

What CVA is saying is that not all 8.5s are the same. Some 8.5s present much better than others, and a CVA sticker indicates those they feel are at the high end of the spectrum.

Some exteriors present better.

Now introduce CVA. A company who places a sticker on a book that they think looks good? This is a 3rd party opinion on a 3rd party opinion. Have we become so useless that we rely on someone to let us know the subjective attractiveness of a collectible?

For something like a Clink auction, without the book in hand and without a BC scan, it helps. At a convention with book in hand, no help. In summary, we are both right ! (thumbs u

Assuming your comment was refering to the spine realignment fiasco... :roflmao:

:acclaim: