• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do some stores get a special variant cover?

25 posts in this topic

I have noticed some stores like Midtown Comics and Mile High Comics coming out with a special store variant edition (I try to stay away from variants). Why do these stores get special edition copies which are guaranteed to go for more and sell-out (instant money makers?) Is this special treatment? Does this cost the store a lot of money? How about my own store variant edition (garage store ebay variant)? Just curious.

Usually they are rewards for prior very large orders or they ARE the very large order.

Yes, it's special treatment. The same way people who have $100,000 can get a super-customized unique version of an otherwise $40,000 production car delivered to their door.

Money makes things happen.

hm

500 copies? We should all pitch in and get a CGC Boards Variant or something like that. Maybe for Avengers #25 or Walking Dead #150 or some such "landmark" issue.

During X-Men vs Avengers they had a "I'm With The X-Men Variant" and a "I'm With the Avengers Variant" every month which was cool since they were cover price. Maybe we could do a "I'm With Cal" or "I'm With Whomever is Bickering with Cal" variant. How about a "I'm Down with Diggler" variant? "Spine Re-Alignment Therapy" variant......."License to Print Money" variant and we get them all CGC'd?

On the serious note we could then sell copies on behalf of Boardies in need when an emergency comes up? Or Breast Cancer Awareness Month? Just a random thought. Rather than the usual charity thread with lots of different items (not that there's anything wrong with that) we could simply sell copies for $10.00 a pop. Just throwing stuff out there.....but I think that if all you need is 500 copies it's definitely something that would be fun to do. And if it could benefit someone at the same time?

The problem is that if anyone/everyone can get a variant made, then they are no longer special, and who wants them? I don't buy store variants-- they are a 100% manufactured collectable that has no bearing on the comics they represent. The store can get as many as they have money for. As printing covers has become cheaper and easier, due to how easy it is to do a separate print run, it has become commonplace.

Marvel have a minimum print run. They will give a choice of artists that are available, but they have to be contracted to Marvel.

The store can give the artist a brief, but the final artwork has to be approved by Marvel.

Then it is just a matter of coming up with the money.

I only have experience of working with Marvel, so don't know how other publishers operate.

It doesn't really come down to special treatment, it's a business transaction between the retailer and the publisher. as to value, that is determined by the market, just like any other commodity.

I have noticed some stores like Midtown Comics and Mile High Comics coming out with a special store variant edition (I try to stay away from variants). Why do these stores get special edition copies which are guaranteed to go for more and sell-out (instant money makers?) Is this special treatment? Does this cost the store a lot of money? How about my own store variant edition (garage store ebay variant)? Just curious.

>>>Why do some stores get a special variant cover?<<<

They ask.

The problem is that if anyone/everyone can get a variant made, then they are no longer special, and who wants them? I don't buy store variants-- they are a 100% manufactured collectable that has no bearing on the comics they represent. The store can get as many as they have money for. As printing covers has become cheaper and easier, due to how easy it is to do a separate print run, it has become commonplace.

Shop variants are indeed a 100% manufactured collectable.

Manufactured at a MUCH lower number than their counterparts.

Curious.

Do you consider RRP's a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

Do you consider Show exclusives a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

Do you consider Publisher variants a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

ect...

Shop variants are indeed a 100% manufactured collectable.

Manufactured at a MUCH lower number than their counterparts.

Curious.

Do you consider RRP's a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

Do you consider Show exclusives a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

Do you consider Publisher variants a manufactured collectable? They indeed are.

ect...

True, true, and true.

It's called doing business. :golfclap:

So, if I decided to order enough copies from Marvel of a particular issue, and had them put my name or likeness on the cover, all you guys would consider them collectibles and buy them from me? I think relevance has something to do with collectibility....

So, if I decided to order enough copies from Marvel of a particular issue, and had them put my name or likeness on the cover, all you guys would consider them collectibles and buy them from me? I think relevance has something to do with collectibility....

So, if I decided to order enough copies from Marvel of a particular issue.

Are you a retailer with a Diamond account?

If not, I doubt that they will take your order.

Enough, with Marvel is a 3k minimum purchase with additional % numbers of the regular edition. Marvel covers cost 25% more than regular covers.

put my name or likeness on the cover, all you guys would consider them collectibles and buy them from me?

Doubtful

I think relevance has something to do with collectivity....

What does that even mean, I don't think ANYBODY would invest their money in a variant without thinking there would be interest.

Curious,

If you all hate variants, WHY do you want to make more?

hm

500 copies? We should all pitch in and get a CGC Boards Variant or something like that. Maybe for Avengers #25 or Walking Dead #150 or some such "landmark" issue.

Valiantcomics.com just did this with the FCBD 2013 VEI book. This was the new Valiant's first foray into the "retailer variant" game. Greg (valiantman) took them up on it with the help of the valiantfans.com community.

I believe it cost on the order of $3K. A Marvel variant for a mainline title would be much more I assume.

Curious,

I'm not sure it's a case of hating variants; rather, I think it's a case of hating variant overkill. GotG 1 had about 5 or 6 store variants alone. The golden goose may be tuckering out. 2c

"Curious,

If you all hate variants, WHY do you want to make more?"

Where did I say I hate all variants? My point is that just because any old store can make their own personalized variant does not make it collectible, and I wouldn't feel the need to buy it if I were trying to be a complete-ist and get all the covers of a certain issue, like WD 100. Some stores try to ride on the success of a popular book by paying for their own variant. Good for them, but I don't feel the need to buy it as it is not an official variant.

Curious,

I'm not sure it's a case of hating variants; rather, I think it's a case of hating variant overkill. GotG 1 had about 5 or 6 store variants alone. The golden goose may be tuckering out. 2c

And I set a Phantom sales records with GG #1.

What's your point?

It sold incredible. There was a huge demand. Still is.

Are you pissey its not a $50 book?

guardians1.JPG

"And I set a Phantom sales records with GG #1.

What's your point?

It sold incredible. There was a huge demand. Still is.

Are you pissey its not a $50 book?"

Congrats on your record. Some of us don't like manufactured variants, some of us do. In fact, I think you should continue to do them for every book. I am sure they will all be big sellers! What does the price have to do with it?