• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

Just saw it....hated it.

Too many one-liners and general silliness. And WTF...the Mandarin?!? I thought I was watching an SNL skit!

And in a matter of 30 minutes in the film he went from Jason Bourne storming the Dazed and Confused Mandarin castle to Gomer Pyle who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn..?????

Horrible

The only reason this movie has made so much money is because marvel and Kevin Feige hype it up so much. That iron man 3 is the beginning of phase 2 so people went in expecting to see a movie that also gives hints of what to come in phase 2.

That's ridiculous. There are many examples of movies that were over-hyped that turned out to be box office bombs.

The reason this movie made so much money is that people generally enjoyed it, and then recommended it to others. Those who hated it are in the minority.

Oh, and i REALLY liked the billion dollar fireworks show he put on for Pepper at the end also :facepalm:

One of many silly SILLIEST scenes in this movie.

The (proverbial) cherry on top :sick:

wow that is a hard one for me to decide...silliest scene in IM 3?

I will go with the fan boy TV tech in the van who not only gushed all over Tony and had his hair styled the same he also had to have a tatoo of Tony's face on his arm.

It is just LAME and I have no understanding of how that garbage even makes it into a film.

Totally agree. Bad representation of Chattanooga as well. He had to be from Scratchankle which is a good 15 - 20 miles outside of town.

Just saw it and was hoping it would kick butt like IM1, or at least be as good as IM2. Unfortunately it was not. Too much silliness and too many plot twists.

1st quarter great. 2nd 3/4 big disappointment.

twist is mandarin is some austin powers hippy -- he reminded me also of the drunk stand in for

hugh jackman on the prestige.

real villain is molten man from AIM ?

real hero is molten pepper ?

saw it yesterday with the wife and kid.. thought it was alright. Can't expect any other IM movie to be as good as #1, but this was just as good as #2 (which was alright as well).. What they did to the Mandarin though? they completely killed that whole char. they could/should have done him much so much better!. I don;t know who aproved to portray him the way they did! :flamed: thats biggest downside to this movie IMO, otherwise it wasnt bad

saw it yesterday with the wife and kid.. thought it was alright. Can't expect any other IM movie to be as good as #1, but this was just as good as #2 (which was alright as well).. What they did to the Mandarin though? they completely killed that whole char. they could/should have done him much so much better!. I don;t know who aproved to portray him the way they did! :flamed: thats biggest downside to this movie IMO, otherwise it wasnt bad

Re: the bolded point of your comment:

Why is that? Why can't I expect the movie to be as good as IM 1? it SHOULD be the goal of movie makers to always make a product that delivers otherwise the people who go to movies will stop seeing them.

I despise the current formula for movie success: Equating dollars earned to being a great film.

Re: the bolded point of your comment:

Why is that? Why can't I expect the movie to be as good as IM 1? it SHOULD be the goal of movie makers to always make a product that delivers otherwise the people who go to movies will stop seeing them.

I despise the current formula for movie success: Equating dollars earned to being a great film.

What i was getting at is, not many movies sequels are as good as the original (if any)... If you expect that, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Sadly that's the truth,

I thought the movie was alright though . Would have been better if they used the mandarin properly . That's the only real problem I have with the movie

you can't be a DIE HARD comic geek and watch this movie...It will be a total disappointment.

Now, if you go in with an open mind, and accept that Hollywood will have its own influence on comic movies, then you'll be fine.

you can't be a DIE HARD comic geek and watch this movie...It will be a total disappointment.

Now, if you go in with an open mind, and accept that Hollywood will have its own influence on comic movies, then you'll be fine.

Agree.. However, that can be said with most comic movies

Whats funny is I dont mind the changes if its a good movie. Iron Man 3 was pretty good. Amazing Spider-man gargled ballz so all the changes make me madder. If you make a good movie and change things I'm cool with it.

Thats why NuTrek made me so mad. It was a bad movie and they changed everything. The new one looks like a good movie so I'm going despite having a major hate for the first one.

We all want to watch a 2 hour movie of Iron Man in his suit blowing mess up but I'm not sure my wife would be interested and she has seen all three Iron Man movies and the Avengers and actually genuinely enjoyed them all. She also enjoyed the first two Spider-man movies.

I actually liked that they gave Pepper an arc and something to do besides cower and yell "TONY!" and cry.

Just saw it as well on the weekend and honestly, the one thing that I enjoyed the most was also what gave me slight disappointment - this being regarding the Mandarin. I love that they did that for the story and it is a great way to show not all villains are as obvious with their drama. However, a little part of me was disappointed that

I didn't see him using his rings

(the inner kid just wanted to see some 'splosions. but of course this is just the nostalgic irrational geek inside me that didn't want to see change - a part many people blow out of proportion, which was quickly silenced as this twist made the movie much more enjoyable and unique).

Also enjoyed that Tony made some new weapons when without his armour, something we need to see him do to remind us this is the guy who INVENTED all these weapons and not just another guy in a suite. Made perfect sense (especially since he wasn't facing off against extremis soldiers with that weaponry)

However I will say I didn't get was

why he blew up all his suites at the end (especially since doing so would cause the Hulkbuster to blow up and thus collapse the entire structure it was holding up)

why he blew up all his suites at the end (especially since doing so would cause the Hulkbuster to blow up and thus collapse the entire structure it was holding up)

To show that he is whats important and not the suits, that he doesnt need the crutch of the suit cacoon to feel safe anymore, a symbolic clean slate to build up from, and it made pretty fireworks for his woman who just kicked a bunch of azz and saved his :D

To show that he is whats important and not the suits, that he doesnt need the crutch of the suit cacoon to feel safe anymore, a symbolic clean slate to build up from, and it made pretty fireworks for his woman who just kicked a bunch of azz and saved his :D

Symbolism for the sake of symbolism isn't good if it is at the expense of common sense.

I get the symbolism but at the very least how does he know all the extremis soldiers were at that very spot and were all killed. Who is to say some random goon out for revenge won't take a shot at him an hour later.

and most importantly...the entire structure would have collapsed when the Hulkbuster detonated! With Tony and Pepper on it as well as any people nearby (the President).

Ah well... :P

Guest Grails

IM 1 is my favorite Marvel movie. 2 was forgettable and 3 was silly and just plain bad. I tried to turn off my brain and go along for the ride but after a while I just couldn't wait for it to end. Didn't even bother staying after the credits this time.

I know I'm kind of bumping an older thread now but I just got around to seeing this movie with the wife.

I liked the movie overall. I was fine with the lack of magic Mandarin puppet twist.

What I thought was strange though was the first two movies were really centered around rock and roll. ACDC soundtracks and all.

Why in the World did they suddenly change this to Christmas jazz/funk complete with anime style ending credits panel shifts.

This was a poor decision. The first two movies made Ironman a "rock star", now he's just boring.