• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still ONE To Go

266 posts in this topic

Ian, in your opinion, what are the 5 rarest DCs ranked in order of scarcity?

The rarest DC of all time is the Superman/Bradman custom comic "This Island Bradman".

But the rarest five DCs ever sold in the shops are....

1 - NEW ADVENTURE 26

2 - NEW ADVENTURE 13

3 - THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS

4 - NEW FUN 6

5 - NEW COMICS 2

(Then there are lots of others like Double Action 2, New Fun 1 and 2, Detective Comics 2, 3, 4, and 5, It's Gametime 3, Buzzy 70, and many many more than just NEVER turn up.)

Ian, in your opinion, what are the 5 rarest DCs ranked in order of scarcity?

The rarest DC of all time is the Superman/Bradman custom comic "This Island Bradman".

But the rarest five DCs ever sold in the shops are....

1 - NEW ADVENTURE 26

2 - NEW ADVENTURE 13

3 - THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS

4 - NEW FUN 6

5 - NEW COMICS 2

(Then there are lots of others like Double Action 2, New Fun 1 and 2, Detective Comics 2, 3, 4, and 5, It's Gametime 3, Buzzy 70, and many many more than just NEVER turn up.)

What's the deal with the Bradman comic - you keep talking about it, but I have no clue what it is. Is it rarer than Supergear?

What's the deal with the Bradman comic - you keep talking about it, but I have no clue what it is. Is it rarer than Supergear?

MUCH.

There are only three copies around apart from a couple that Daniel Bradman may still have. One is in Paul Levitz' personal collection, one is mine, and one was given to Jerome Wenker by Mike Gold at the time the custom comic was made.

Daniel Bradman's father paid DC to print 25 copies of a Superman comic featuring his son. When the family moved house and had a flood, almost all the copies were lost. It cost him about fifty grand to have the comic made and drawn by Curt Swan including the cover.

(I HAVE ADDED AN ATTACHMENT OF THE COVER)

589a8d066b1ef_596955-SUP_BRADjpg.jpg.766c08180687f21d1de2a746d7add8a2.jpg

Daniel Bradman's father paid DC to print 5 copies of a Superman comic featuring his son. When the family moved house and had a flood, almost all the copies were lost. It cost him about fifty grand to have the comic made and drawn by Curt Swan including the cover.

It must be nice to have a rich daddy who showers you with $50,000 gifts. insane.giftonofbricks.gif

MUCH.

There are only three copies around apart from a couple that Daniel Bradman may still have. One is in Paul Levitz' personal collection, one is mine, and one was given to Jerome Wenker by Mike Gold at the time the custom comic was made.

Daniel Bradman's father paid DC to print 5 copies of a Superman comic featuring his son. When the family moved house and had a flood, almost all the copies were lost. It cost him about fifty grand to have the comic made and drawn by Curt Swan including the cover.

Just 5 copies were made? Wow. What's the story like and when was it made?

Does anyone have a scan of the cover to:

NEW ADVENTURE 26

I'll be doing some hunting at some local Comicons in the next 2 weeks.

You never know... devil.gif

- Ian sent me a scan but it was a SIT file and I don't have the software to open it.

tonofbricks.gif

Wow, talk about a strange comic! I can't believe that DC would sell out like that; was there a special relationship with Bradman?

Yes, it's amazing to think a comic book company could stoop so low for $50,000. It's kind of a violation of all we hold sacred. yay.gif

Wow, talk about a strange comic! I can't believe that DC would sell out like that; was there a special relationship with Bradman?

Yes, it's amazing to think a comic book company could stoop so low for $50,000. It's kind of a violation of all we hold sacred. yay.gif

The only thing amazing about it is that it hasn't happened more!! tongue.gif Once the Bradman opened the door, you'd think there would be well-heeled sugar daddies waiting in line to buy the most extravagant boutique comics for their little darlings.

confused-smiley-013.gif

MUCH.

Ian, I don't understand your math:

Daniel Bradman's father paid DC to print 5 copies of a Superman comic featuring his son.

vs.

There are only three copies around apart from a couple that Daniel Bradman may still have.

including

When the family moved house and had a flood, almost all the copies were lost.

So let me get this straight:

1 - DC Comics prints 5 copies (which coincidentally would mean that copies would HAVE to have been deliberately destroyed, no printing press would print out just 5 copies - you would literally need more than that to make sure that the inks are blending smoothly and other quality control checks)

2 - there is a flood that destroys "almost all the copies" but I thought that there were only five copies from the print run?

3 - regardless of the fact that only 5 were printed and due to a flood "almost all the copies were lost" three copies end up in the hands of yourself, Paul and Jerome with "a couple" still with Bradman???

Seems a little fishy to me . . . .

DAM

MUCH.

Ian, I don't understand your math:

Daniel Bradman's father paid DC to print 5 copies of a Superman comic featuring his son.

vs.

There are only three copies around apart from a couple that Daniel Bradman may still have.

including

When the family moved house and had a flood, almost all the copies were lost.

1 - DC Comics prints 5 copies (which coincidentally would mean that copies would HAVE to have been deliberately destroyed, no printing press would print out just 5 copies - you would literally need more than that to make sure that the inks are blending smoothly and other quality control checks)

2 - there is a flood that destroys "almost all the copies" but I thought that there were only five copies from the print run?

3 - regardless of the fact that only 5 were printed and due to a flood "almost all the copies were lost" three copies end up in the hands of yourself, Paul and Jerome with "a couple" still with Bradman???

DAM

Maybe DC printed 5 for Bradman and kept a few other copies in house? Levitz probably didn't get his from Bradman, right? Jerome probably got his from Levitz or someone else at DC -- someone who kept a copy or two off the press run.

Just 5 copies were made? Wow. What's the story like and when was it made?

I didn't spot this earlier. It was a typo. Twenty five were made. As the father paid for it to be done, I imagine they rolled the presses and then just stopped them again when the first few copies rolled off. Or else destroyed them. Or maybe there's a secret drawer somewhere in DC with a few more.

Methinks Ian got his wires crossed. He mentions here that DC printed 100 copies of the book.

Alan confused-smiley-013.gif