• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do I do at a convention... and how do I do it?? ....

19 posts in this topic

So, I'm off to the Denver Comic Con with my daughter (who's 4) in 4 weeks ...

... last year was the first, and we walked around and made Captain America shields, Batman masks, got balloon animals, and got our photo taken with Wonder Woman and Kung Fu Panda... oh, and I bought a couple of books from the dealers and self-publishers and got to meet a few good folks...

... but this year I want to do more ...

... and I don't know how ...

... for example, I'd like to pick up a few blanks over the coming weeks, such as a Wonder Woman 19 blank, and have one of the many great guest artists do a sketch of my daughter and I with Wonder Woman ... similarly with a few other DC blanks (yes, I'm a DC guy) ....

but I have no idea how to do that - do I just show up at the illustrator's booth and ask for a price - do I email in advance (who?) - do I slip a $50 under the table ... heck, is there a typical price on what this sorta thing costs...

and, what else should I be sure to do that I just don't know to do on the conference floor

Thanks for any advice (thumbs u

It really all depends. If you want to just show up and see if an artist will do a quick sketch for your kid on the fly be prepared for anything when it comes to quality. I've seen "quick sketches" that would have been actual covers and I've seen "really quick" sketches and the prices will go from free to you can't imagine. If you plan one ahead you have a better chance of getting a nice sketch cover and you'll know how much up front most likely. Lots of people on here could give you a better idea of who to try and get and who to avoid so I'll defer to others on that.

More and more artists are setting up a 'price list' at their table to make it easier for people.

If not, the best thing is just to walk up and start a conversation, tell them you like their work, engage them in a conversation. Almost all artists love to talk about their work and hear from fans.

At some point ask. It's pretty much as easy as that.

If you want a full picture of you and your daughters with wonderwoman (which would mean drawing multiple characters) I would definitely find the artist you would like to draw this and email them well in advance to the con to schedule this.

Some of the more famous artists books fill up fast and most will only do one character max.

Dan Parent will be there (the best of the current Archie artists) and I think he would do a great job on the piece you're talking about with Wonder Woman.

+1

+2 He's on my list of sketches for this fall

New plan:

1. Leave daughter at home

2. Go to Denver con and enjoy it without a 4 year old

3. Take her to Disney Land this summer

4. Everyone wins

Aside from meeting super heroes, 4 seems a little young for a convention to me. It just wouldn't be that exciting. If you want bang for your dollar / time, take her to a water park this summer.

As far as getting a sketch done, I'd email an artist beforehand if you have a favorite.

4 may be a little young for Disneyland as well.

I went when I was 4 and don't remember mess.

Had to go back when I was 20. Much more enjoyable.

Went to wondercon this year, left my 9 year old at the hotel with my wife.

Went to Disneyland the next 5 days.

4 year olds aren't to keen on not moving for awhile.

Good luck though.

Dan Parent will be there (the best of the current Archie artists) and I think he would do a great job on the piece you're talking about with Wonder Woman.

+1

+2 He's on my list of sketches for this fall

Got one from Dan at the Gem City show in 2012. Full color with Archie and the Gang as Star Trek Classic characters. Jughead, totally stonefaced as Spock, SELLS the whole thing.

Cost me $100 and worth every penny.

Um, folks, back to the topic at hand...

... I know a number of you have suggested contacting the artist directly before the show ...

... how do I find contact information, for, say, Dan Parent, Matt Kindt, Fiona Staples, and Amy Reeder ...

(shrug)