• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, gadzukes said:

What about other strips you collect?  How many 1st strips do you have?

I am not sure that I have any original first strips but I have found some reprints in comics from the golden age.  I have a lot of Prince Valiant pages and enjoyed the origin story found in Ace comics.  Gasoline Alley origins was reprinted in small format by Star Comics, I think.

36 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I am not sure that I have any original first strips but I have found some reprints in comics from the golden age.  I have a lot of Prince Valiant pages and enjoyed the origin story found in Ace comics.  Gasoline Alley origins was reprinted in small format by Star Comics, I think.

What issue of Ace is the 1st Prince Valiant in?

Sorry to hear that Martin Landau died.  He was an artist that worked on the Gumps back in the late forties or early fifties.

Not sure if this is one of his from 1946.

1946 Gumps.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I had no idea he worked in comics.  I learn something new almost everyday on the boards.  Thanks for posting that BB

There was another artist named Ken Landau who worked in comic books but Martin only worked on strips or cartoons published in the newspapers...or at least that is what the latest post said.

Gump was fairly popular (many toys and games were sold with his name on the box) and art was by Sydney Smith followed by Gus Edson.  Landau assisted Edson and eventually took over the Sunday page.

35832262652_b82b406b7f_z.jpg

13 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Last 2 scrap books are filled with 170 Tarzan sunday strips starting with # 69 from 7/3/1932

All in all a pretty interesting find.  I'm excited.

P1130395.JPG

P1130396.JPG

I love those early Tarzan pages.  I have several scrapbooks with daily cartoons.  This one by Crane and Turner was especially good for the WWII airplane nuts, like myself.

3775043277_0cfac5d3bf_b.jpg

H. L. Menken said that the reason academic battles were so vicious is because they were fighting over so little.  With that in mind, when I went to Ohio State University in 1995 to give their Centennial Address on R. F. Outcault and the Yellow Kid,  I was very pleasantly surprised to learn about their participation in a Midwestern consortium dedicated to popular culture.  Sanity had prevailed and it was decided that Bowling Green U. would specialize in popular fiction and popular music drawing on their existing strengths.  Michigan State U. would specialize in comic books, and Ohio State U. would specialize in newspaper comics.  Further, to make the consortium work, they established an expedited interlibrary loan system among themselves.  This worked great and each of the schools developed their specialties.  Over the years, other regional schools wanted to participate and Cleveland State U (Cleveland Press archives), Kent State U (contemporary theater). Oberlin College (democratizing the printed word), and the Ohio Historical Society joined and developed complementary strengths.  The result is that today an incredible resource, The Consortium of Popular Culture Collections in the Midwest (CPCCM), has become the finest collection of resources of its type for scholars.

Most of these schools have wonderful exhibits if you ever get a chance to visit.  They are also happy to accept donations of financial support and/or rare material--I have given both to Ohio State U. because I have seen that all material is handled in the strictest professional manner and urge you to consider doling the same with the school whose specialties match your own.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Yellow Kid said:

H. L. Menken said that the reason academic battles were so vicious is because they were fighting over so little.  With that in mind, when I went to Ohio State University in 1995 to give their Centennial Address on R. F. Outcault and the Yellow Kid,  I was very pleasantly surprised to learn about their participation in a Midwestern consortium dedicated to popular culture.  Sanity had prevailed and it was decided that Bowling Green U. would specialize in popular fiction and popular music drawing on their existing strengths.  Michigan State U. would specialize in comic books, and Ohio State U. would specialize in newspaper comics.  Further, to make the consortium work, they established an expedited interlibrary loan system among themselves.  This worked great and each of the schools developed their specialties.  Over the years, other regional schools wanted to participate and Cleveland State U (Cleveland Press archives), Kent State U (contemporary theater). Oberlin College (democratizing the printed word), and the Ohio Historical Society joined and developed complementary strengths.  The result is that today an incredible resource, The Consortium of Popular Culture Collections in the Midwest (CPCCM), has become the finest collection of resources of its type for scholars.

Most of these schools have wonderful exhibits if you ever get a chance to visit.  They are also happy to accept donations of financial support and/or rare material--I have given both to Ohio State U. because I have seen that all material is handled in the strictest professional manner and urge you to consider doling the same with the school whose specialties match your own.

The little things that academics fight over are related to their egos which are molehills that have turned into mountains.:insane: