• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

There should be a city in the US which honors its cartoonists the way they do in Belgium.  Brussels is covered with murals of Tintin and associated characters.  You can go on a walking tour to see murals in different parts of the city.  I can imagine a giant Buck Rogers space ship in the town square and buildings covered with robots and Wilma. 

34745522794_5d8eac9a29_o.jpg

35456543521_b4684d2a0f_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 2015-09-11 at 6:31 PM, BB-Gun said:

21145826499_c8684d0da1_b.jpg

From Wikipedia, Frank Godwin described himself as a frustrated engineer...

Great photo.  Looks as if Franks's cat is wearing the same expression as he is.  lol

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, Arkadin said:

There are a lot of Terry comic books, so it might have been. Not sure though, as I don't collect those.

These have been collected in hardcover by IDW as half pages - yet I have never seen an early Terry strip as a half, only as tabs like the one above. 

Anyone here ever see one as a half?

I found this half by Caniff.

35694894485_7c4445433c_b.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2014 at 5:09 PM, BB-Gun said:

12684170804_c08484a8e1_b.jpg

12683702745_01070a9561_b.jpg

Flash got into the action immediately without any long-winded introductions.

Someone asked about the value of these first strips.  I don't think they sell for more than a few hundred dollars.  Print runs were very high for national newspapers and number of collectors is small.  They have also been reprinted but I think they are much more fun to see in full size pages that are well preserved.  Perhaps a collection of early strips can set a higher value.  hm

This is coming my way in the mail.  Along with a bunch more.  I can't wait to see them.

The original owner cut each strip in half and made a comic book out of it.  I'm not sure how many pages will be in the book, but I think it'll be a sequential run of quite a few.

flash1.jpg

flash2.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

This is coming my way in the mail.  Along with a bunch more.  I can't wait to see them.

The original owner cut each strip in half and made a comic book out of it.  I'm not sure how many pages will be in the book, but I think it'll be a sequential run of quite a few.

flash1.jpg

flash2.jpg

Pretty interesting and unique piece of comic history you'll have! Congrats.

4 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Print runs were very high for national newspapers and number of collectors is small.  

I imagine print runs were enormous, however, how many of these do you suppose survived?  You collect these BB-Gun, right?  How many of this Flash Gordon 1s have you found?

Edited by gadzukes

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, gadzukes said:

I imagine print runs were enormous, however, how many of these do you suppose survived?  You collect these BB-Gun, right?  How many of this Flash Gordon 1s have you found?

I have found exactly none.

Nice run of Steve Canyon.  I've never read a Steve Canyon comic.  Are they good?

I recently bought some high grade Steve Canyon comics.  I've got them in at CGC right now getting graded.  They look perfect to me so I wonder how high they'll grade.  The art is very good.  I might have to buy a reprint collection to read.

P1130168.JPG

Edited by gadzukes

When I was a kid, I thought Steve Canyon was the most boring comic strip in the paper. But these early strips are great actually, steeped in that late 40's two-fisted adventure/noir feel. "Gilda" on the half page. 

I assume the Harvey comics are reprints of the early daily strips - yours looks like it might be a file copy. Geppi's used to sell those back in the day. 

You should definitely check out the reprint volumes.  I picked up the entire first year of Sunday strips, but I haven't had time to read through them all yet. But based on what I've read so far, it looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by Arkadin