• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

I found this Australian Sunday origin page from 1946

Can anyone tell me what # it corresponds to in the US Sunday strips?  

I know strip 1 has an origin and strip 135 has an origin, but this must be from a later strip.

It's magazine size so I was thinking it might be a cool piece to slab.

a1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, gadzukes said:

I know strip 1 has an origin and strip 135 has an origin, but this must be from a later strip.

a1.jpg

It is very similar to the origin from Superman 53 in 1948.  It isn't the origin from strip 135.  I will have to keep searching but I think most of my strips are either late 1944 and 1945 or early 1950s.

4 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

It is very similar to the origin from Superman 53 in 1948.  It isn't the origin from strip 135.  I will have to keep searching but I think most of my strips are either late 1944 and 1945 or early 1950s.

Strip #135 is from 1942.  The one I posted is from 1946 so it's number is probably around the late 200s or early 300s.

It's always cool to find "origin" comics.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, BB-Gun said:

I saw this bio pic in a comic that featured art by Moores.  I think he worked on Gasoline Alley as well.

45820276972_ae6c18d87b_b.jpg

I was watching Tales of Wells Fargo recently and wondered whether Jim Hardy was an inspiration for the character played by Dale Robertson.  Dale was an excellant rider and his experience with horses seems obivous in the old shows.  I enjoy watching the old shows but seldom remember plots from my childhoo and the oriiginal broadcast of the shows.  Love the simple morals of the time. 

1 hour ago, Marty Mann said:

From TRACY...

30230041094_28cf29f3b7.jpg

Sometimes the villains went up in flames.  I have an early Tracy cover with a scene from a fire that engulfed the bad guy.  I wonder if Little Face was related to the hero Microface.

I notice a lot of interest in early Ace comics with the Phantom.  The first Phantom story in comics was actually the second story which was also reprinted as a Feature Book."The Phantom Destroys the Sky Band".  Nice art and filled with torture scenes which were also in the daily or Sunday strips.

Phantom flogging.jpg

I do have some Phantom Sunday pages but my supply is limited.  I sold most of my Phantom pages twenty years ago.  I purchased a lot from Mr. Three L in Paradise which was between Gap and Lancaster.  The comics and newspapers were in several piles on the tables in his barn.  He also converted a room for display of his Marine artifacts, that's Marine as in Jarhead or Leatherneck.  I found untouched copies of the Spirit comics in the pile, a Spiderman 1 reprint, World's Finest 32 and Bugs Bunny Christmas Parade.  He charged me extra for the BB Xmas parade.  I could have searched longer but it would have been necessary to rearrange his entire shop.  No telling what was hidden in there.  He was a funny guy and I still hear funny stories about him from people at Rennigers.

56 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I'll bump this thread because I love posting this -- Superman Sunday page from Oct 24, 1943. Is there another Superman spanking panel?

image.jpeg

Being Spanked by Superman.  That's gonna leave a mark.

Edited by gadzukes

On 8/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, gadzukes said:

a1.jpg

I thought I'd bump this again.  I'd still like to find out what strip number this Australian "origin" corresponds to in the American strips.  I think it's late 200s or early 300s

I like the Phantom and Flash Gordon (and Jungle Jim) but they all took a back seat for Prince Valiant in Ace 26.  The real attraction to this anthology was the Captain and the Kids.  However, the early Phantom work had lots of feathering technique, I think, which reminds me of Alex Raymond's work on the early Flash.

46572750555_025540cb57_b.jpg

Always loved these 7-page tab sections in the Sunday paper...unfortunately I never lived in a city that had them...

got my copies from my Grandmother who lived in Philadelphia.

IMG  SPIRIT   (200 dpi).jpg