• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

hello anyone in this thread have the newspaper were Flamingo strip was published. i believe 1952 jan to july new york herald. any help thanks

9629672980_7154b7bf3a_b.jpg

I have never found a newspaper with th Flamingo strip but I did see some of the original art for sale.

It's Sunday, so time to post some Sunday comics. Today, a hodgepodge of esoteric strips.

First up, Bruce Gentry, Ray Bailey's nifty aviation strip. This 1948 half-page has it all, from planes to dames - and a generous Sunday helping of cheesecake.

3pmh.jpg

Next, a couple of oddball "cave-kid" strips.

Peter Piltdown, by Mal Eaton (1938)

today008.jpg

And a pair of Rocky the Stone-age Kid strips from 1943. Frank Engli, who drew this pretty darn charming strip, also worked on Milton Caniff's Terry and the Pirates - just like Ray Bailey,mentioned above.

m2kd.jpg

hbu6.jpg

Dennis.jpg

I enjoyed reading Dennis when I was younger but enjoyed it less after I became a parent. Little Archie is still a favorite but a few jelly beans are not enough to buy near mint copies of the early giant editions.

Added some Flash Gordon to my Sunday strip collection. These are both from 1934, the first year of the strip.

Iconic stuff - in glorious full page size with Jungle Jim toppers.

today006.jpg

Dancing green slave girls three decades before Star Trek.

today001.jpg

A couple of Johnny Comet Sundays.

These strips are really hard to find - in fact, it's easier to buy Johnny Comet original art than the dang clipped strips. (shrug)

So if anyone has some nice Comet tear sheets, either sell 'em to me or at least post 'em! :grin:

KGrHqMOKpIFJBfFJcgBSUBeGid60_57.jpg

T2eC16JHJGEFFmuJs6oLBSUBgj58Zw60_57.jpg

A couple of Johnny Comet Sundays.

These strips are really hard to find - in fact, it's easier to buy Johnny Comet original art than the dang clipped strips. (shrug)

So if anyone has some nice Comet tear sheets, either sell 'em to me or at least post 'em! :grin:

KGrHqMOKpIFJBfFJcgBSUBeGid60_57.jpg

T2eC16JHJGEFFmuJs6oLBSUBgj58Zw60_57.jpg

I have a lot of strips but never found any Johnny Comet stories. :frustrated:

Got this Spirit section recently.

IMG_0016.jpg

Clifford by Jules Feiffer was the regular back page strip from mid-1949 to the end of 1950 (thank you, Grand Comics Database).

The one on this section is particularly fun for comic book fans! :grin:

IMG_0015.jpg