• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

FLASH GORDON COMICS #1 from October 1950 features reprints from

earlier strips. Any idea what year they might be from?

12641307015_a3ae9eb3b5.jpg

mm

According to the SETI says blog: Originally published between April 14, 1940 and January 12, 1941, “Power Men of Mongo” picks up the storyline where the thirteenth installment, “The Ice Kingdom of Mongo” left off.

Artwork in these books is fantastic. Raymond is really flashy and the story from Harvey Flash Gordon was reprinted as the second Gordon Bread giveaway. I have three copies of #1 (two in great shape) and one copy of #2 which is a little beat up.

12683282423_d5f4e29f33_b.jpg

12685388145_ddc5e7ba57_c.jpg12685529083_8d8176c90f_c.jpg

The complete story is available as a BLB or in many other reprints.

Edited by BB-Gun

12696604603_0c5862ba57_b.jpg

Brian Walker points out in his book "Comics, The Complete Collection", Jungle Jim and Flash Gordon both appeared in full page format for about 6 months. I can't imagine that the sells weren't enough but probably the strips were combined to cut back on the work load.

Edited by BB-Gun

I was always grateful for ACE COMICS, KING COMICS, TIP-TOP COMICS

and SPARKLER COMICS for their reprints of the early newspaper strips that

were published before I began reading the "Sunday Funnies". Those books

are a treasury of comic strip history.

12698441254_9b832dfa74.jpg

(From ACE COMICS #118)

mm

I was always grateful for ACE COMICS, KING COMICS, TIP-TOP COMICS

and SPARKLER COMICS for their reprints of the early newspaper strips that

were published before I began reading the "Sunday Funnies". Those books

are a treasury of comic strip history.

12698441254_9b832dfa74.jpg

(From ACE COMICS #118)

mm

I agree. I like those early comic strip anthologies. The scene below, which was from 1938, was incorporated into the movie starring Robert Wagner.

12701061783_36972f0db3_b.jpg

Not sure why they misspelled his name in the poster below. GB vs USA?

12700968925_af63e8e60d_z.jpg

oh it must be a French poster. Is that right Scrooge?

Edited by BB-Gun

I am so happy to have found this,special thanks to Brian,much appreciated.

I plan to keep this,unless it has a larger value than I expect.will happily show more of the pages on request.Never knew Raboy was in the papers...

I would love any help on value of this and proper safekeeping,display advice and all.Thanks for looking and any advice,tips ect forthcoming.

600a45a0-60e0-453b-baa7-2f008a8556a7_zpsa21cd927.jpg

I place my tabloid issues on large white backer board and in plastic bags. Some of my larger pages have a mylar cover stapled onto the board.

8710649338_1767662c86_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I am so happy to have found this,special thanks to Brian,much appreciated.

I plan to keep this,unless it has a larger value than I expect.will happily show more of the pages on request.Never knew Raboy was in the papers...

I would love any help on value of this and proper safekeeping,display advice and all.Thanks for looking and any advice,tips ect forthcoming.

600a45a0-60e0-453b-baa7-2f008a8556a7_zpsa21cd927.jpg

I place my tabloid issues on large white backer board and in plastic bags. Some of my larger pages have a mylar cover stapled onto the board.

8710649338_1767662c86_b.jpg

I have a hundred or so Flash Gordon pages by Mac Raboy but they are mostly halves.

12748545743_4afca93a59_b.jpg

BLBs contained a lot of comic strip reprints and in some cases, like Ghost Morgan's Treasure, comic book reprints.

Used to look through these Big Little Books...but at 25 cents, they were just

a little beyond what I could afford.

mm

One of the more interesting Atom Age comic strips was Twin Earths. Gosh-wow juvenile 50's sci-fi at it's purest. Added bonus: a really cool logo!

ll001.jpg

ll003.jpg

It was also reprinted in Tip Top comics. They probably ran out of L'il Abner reprints and Tarzan which dominated Tip Top comics for the first 15 years.

13250437593_47b9d5b654_c.jpg

Speaking of juvenile Sci-Fi, I always liked the Winston series with illustrations by Schomburg.

9535137039_c5bfed925c_c.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

A few years ago, King Features Syndicate decided to divest themselves of their archives. The archive contained well over 1 million syndicate proof sheets. Syndicate proof sheets are the photographic camera ready copies that they send to individual subscribing newspapers. Half were donated to Ohio State University the rest to Michigan State University. We did the formal appraisal. This is what a proof sheet looks like and a picture of the archives as organized by MSU.

This has now made it possible for publishers to reprint so many of the features that were nearly impossible to compile and without the prohibitive burden of having to clean up each and every page. This is what has made the publishing of so many titles viable in recent years.

msuarchive.jpg

proofsheets.jpg

A few years ago, King Features Syndicate decided to divest themselves of their archives. The archive contained well over 1 million syndicate proof sheets. Syndicate proof sheets are the photographic camera ready copies that they send to individual subscribing newspapers. Half were donated to Ohio State University the rest to Michigan State University. We did the formal appraisal. This is what a proof sheet looks like and a picture of the archives as organized by MSU.

This has now made it possible for publishers to reprint so many of the features that were nearly impossible to compile and without the prohibitive burden of having to clean up each and every page. This is what has made the publishing of so many titles viable in recent years.

msuarchive.jpg

proofsheets.jpg

I didn't know this story. I had seen an earlier collection at MSU but never Ohio State. A private collector donated a huge number of Sunday and daily strips, I believe. Jerry Bails donated his microfilm to MSU. There were also a large number of comics that reprinted the popular strips. When I asked for Timely comics, I was given fiche and a reader.

I heard that the Caniff collection went to OSU. Is that correct? Bowling Green University also has a collection as well as Missouri but don't remember where. Other sites? The comic art museum in San Francisco was kind of small but they had some nifty art by Crumb.

Edited by BB-Gun

I heard that the Caniff collection went to OSU. Is that correct? Bowling Green University also has a collection as well as Missouri but don't remember where. Other sites? The comic art museum in San Francisco was kind of small but they had some nifty art by Crumb.

Is that closed now? If so, it's a shame.

msuarchive.jpg

proofsheets.jpg

I didn't know this story. I had seen an earlier collection at MSU but never Ohio State. A private collector donated a huge number of Sunday and daily strips, I believe. Jerry Bails donated his microfilm to MSU. There were also a large number of comics that reprinted the popular strips. When I asked for Timely comics, I was given fiche and a reader.

I could give you a litany of institutions that have collections. In my former career I developed a product for archival storage and as such dealt with most of the large institutions in the US.

Highlights: Yes, Caniff was an alumni and donated his collection to Ohio State. As a prominent member of the National Cartoonist Society, he encouraged others to do the same. The Woody Gelman collection with numerous works by Winsor McCay followed.

In the early seventies, the value of comic art was appreciating so it became worthwhile to donate material. Syracuse was one of the most aggressive and landed, The Street and Smith Archives, Hal Foster's collection, including the first Prince Valiant as well as the Courvoiser animation collection.

Early Orphan Annies are scarce because Harold Gray donated the majority of his collection to Boston University.

The Library of Congress has a great collection with the Art Wood Collection.

The NY Public Library has a great collection.

Columbia has a nice collection

Princeton University has the Philip Gordon Wylie collection.

I could go on.