• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

Superman Sunday pages from Joe's hometown during WWII. It was probably Wayne Boring doing most of the art at that time wasn't it.

That's cool.

Dunno if this has been posted before, but here's a Canadian Heritage commercial about good ol' Toronto boy, Joe Shuster.

12157147715_6e59a67107_b.jpg

12157831506_f7b2e46cb8_b.jpg

These are all tabloid size and I store them with the Superman Sunday tabloids.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

mm

Thanks Marty. When Eisner's work was on display at the Jewish Art Museum in NYC, his tabloid pages were chosen to be part of the exhibit. Also found were paintings by Schomburg and pages by Robinson and Fine.

Love those Spirit tabs! Those are all from the Philadelphia Bulletin Fun Book. I just have one example of the entire Fun Book.

hh014.jpg

Love those Spirit tabs! Those are all from the Philadelphia Bulletin Fun Book. I just have one example of the entire Fun Book.

hh014.jpg

Here's a portion of the FUN BOOK Section from a couple months earlier...it also

had a full page of MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN and a full page of HOPALONG

CASSIDY...who was very big on Philadelphia TV at that time.

9497575962_51dffddd94.jpg

mm

Got this Spirit section recently.

IMG_0016.jpg

Clifford by Jules Feiffer was the regular back page strip from mid-1949 to the end of 1950 (thank you, Grand Comics Database).

The one on this section is particularly fun for comic book fans! :grin:

IMG_0015.jpg

The reference on the back cover to Viet-Nam is presumably to the French fighting the Communist insurgency. I can't recall many U.S. comics dealing with that war. hm

hh014.jpg

mm

Hoppy movies were purchased by Boyd and aired on TV in the late 40s and early 50s. They were so popular that a TV series was created and broadcast from 1952 to 1954. I remember the TV show and I had to have all of the Hoppy western toys for Christmas (well at least the hat and cap pistols). Boyd was king of the merchandizing. A local antique shop has a Hopalong Cassidy bike for sale. It is in pretty good condition and painted black, of course.

hh014.jpg

mm

Most of my Spirit tabloids are complete Fun Books. The Spirit and Mandrake got top billing most of the time but I did find some Hoppy stories.

12197551805_e2e65fda44_b.jpg

12156078664_d3ba1ffae8_b.jpg

Superman Sunday pages from Joe's hometown during WWII. It was probably Wayne Boring doing most of the art at that time wasn't it.

That doesn't look like Wayne Boring. He was the worst Superman artist to ever draw the comic...he always drew Supes flying feet first...what a schmuck... :roflmao:

I am so happy to have found this,special thanks to Brian,much appreciated.

I plan to keep this,unless it has a larger value than I expect.will happily show more of the pages on request.Never knew Raboy was in the papers...

I would love any help on value of this and proper safekeeping,display advice and all.Thanks for looking and any advice,tips ect forthcoming.

600a45a0-60e0-453b-baa7-2f008a8556a7_zpsa21cd927.jpg

I was surprised too, but I looked at the Overstreet and it does mention the swipe saying "cover pose swiped from last panel of a Jan 1939 Flash Gordon Sunday page." It's January 22, 1939. Here's the whole page

x01221939AA16SWIPEa_zps8d1db53a.jpg

I was surprised too, but I looked at the Overstreet and it does mention the swipe saying "cover pose swiped from last panel of a Jan 1939 Flash Gordon Sunday page." It's January 22, 1939. Here's the whole page

x01221939AA16SWIPEa_zps8d1db53a.jpg

you are right. The OSPG does mention it. Someone reported to Overstreet for the 42nd (2012 Ed) so it's recently been noted. Anyone know who found this swipe and reported to OSPG? Good catch :)