• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGA !?!

80 posts in this topic

Now starts the familiar debate over who grades better, stricter, more consistent... just like cards and coins.

There's actually a bit more to the debate than that in this particular situation. You've obviously missed other aspects of the grand CGG debate. Search "cgg" or order the posts in Comics General by views or replies and you should find enough on the subject to get you up to speed.

by non-direct submissions, i mean that i (as an individual collector and not a dealer) must submit through a comic book store or other 'member' (e.g. Heritage). judging by the prices on my LCS, that means i am paying more like $20/bk to submit to CGC (after the member-dealer gets a little). at least that is how it was not too long ago and looking at the submission forms at CGC little seems to have changed. am i wrong?

i understand there may be more to the argument, there always is (and i will be good and study up). bottomline is, competition is good in 3rd party grading. in all forms of collectibles. CGC did not create the 3rd party grading market, they responded to the need for it in comics. same as PGA is now responding to the need for faster TAT, cheaper slabbing costs, and the need for submitting directly to the grading company.

NOW. to the important stuff. why do you have a picture of that OTHER famous #7 from the Red Devils (i.e. Cantona)??

by non-direct submissions, i mean that i (as an individual collector and not a dealer) must submit through a comic book store or other 'member' (e.g. Heritage). judging by the prices on my LCS, that means i am paying more like $20/bk to submit to CGC (after the member-dealer gets a little). at least that is how it was not too long ago and looking at the submission forms at CGC little seems to have changed. am i wrong?

you are so way off that I somehow doubt you have ever submitted before or if you have and the experience was as described, then your local LCS/member dealer totally F'd you over and you've come to the right place to get help that you obviously need.

All Heritage does is provide an online invoice that allows you to submit with a 20% discount off submission fees and they do not get a "cut" of your payment... fill it out, print it up, include this invoice with your books and payment and ship to directly to CGC for grading - there is no need for an intermediary? And there never was one since CGC's inception. The more I think about it, I think your LCS played for a sucker, took you for a ride and got much more of your money since you did not look into it.

by the way, this forum has a nice function called "Search" - when used properly it helps keep newbies in the know

Submitting through Heritage garners a 20% discount and provides the exact same service as the actual "direct" submissions that I can do as a collector's society member. It's a complete nonissue. I'm really not sure what the problem is.

i understand there may be more to the argument, there always is (and i will be good and study up). bottomline is, competition is good in 3rd party grading. in all forms of collectibles. CGC did not create the 3rd party grading market, they responded to the need for it in comics. same as PGA is now responding to the need for faster TAT, cheaper slabbing costs, and the need for submitting directly to the grading company.

Trying to stay as neutral as I can (since I don't want to see the same stuff trotted out again) you might find that not many people would classify CGG/PGA as legtimate competition for CGC. There are a variety of reasons that have been covered in depth here.

NOW. to the important stuff. why do you have a picture of that OTHER famous #7 from the Red Devils (i.e. Cantona)??

It was just one of those random thoughts while putting together the mini slideshow. Cantona's story is one of my favorite in sports, so he made his way in there.

As a PAID member one gets direct submission privileges to CGC. Originally, one submitted through Charter Member Dealers, Authorized Member Dealers, and Associate Members (hello LCS and yes it was $20/book!), before the internet partners? Now (I see), one can submit through Internet partners such as Heritage (which I was confusing with a Member-Dealer).

Perhaps this is a non-issue rob-react, but I certainly wasn't as far off as you might accuse me DARTH

As a PAID member one gets direct submission privileges to CGC. Originally, one submitted through Charter Member Dealers, Authorized Member Dealers, and Associate Members (hello LCS and yes it was $20/book!), before the internet partners? Now (I see), one can submit through Internet partners such as Heritage (which I was confusing with a Member-Dealer).

Perhaps this is a non-issue rob-react, but I certainly wasn't as far off as you might accuse me DARTH

I have never been a paid member of the Collectors society ,sorry guys, and have submitted DIRECTLY since 2000. My first 10 book submission was through ebay (which means I filled in a submisson form that had ebay on the header) and there was a 10% discount on the rates. total cost with shipping was $150...I invoiced it, sent it in myself, with no help from my LCS and got it back. This was when the red Modern label cost $9 with discount, $10 without.

Is that $20 figure for books older than 1975 or high value books? How long ago did you submit books for CGC grading? I don't recall a time where submitting thru an LCS was the only option available for the public

I also remember doing a direct submission by filling out a paper invoice at the 2000? or 2001 baltimore con (steranko was the headlining guest) directly at the CGC booth where I first met Steve Borock, Harshen Patel and Scott Talmadge. All I needed was my ebay "member id#" which I had from my previous online submission. so once again, I didn't need the help of my LCS to submit books to CGC.

Here Is their "official" news release:

August 30, 2004

Effective immediately, The Comic Grading Group has changed our name to Professional Grading Authority. As of this date, books will be graded and shipped using a Professional Grading Authority (PGA) label, and the website and all correspondence will reflect this change as well.

We made the decision to change our name for several reasons, and feel it is important to share these reasons with our customers.

As some of you may know, we have recently been informed that CGC feels that the name "CGGroup", which was used as an abbreviation for Comic Grading Group, infringes on the trademarked CGC name. We have always felt that the abbreviation CGGroup was unique and in no way infringed upon the trademark of CGC, and continue to believe that now. However, we also believe that the time and resources we would dedicate to fighting a legal battle against CGC would be better spent focusing on our customers and providing them with the quality products and services they expect and deserve

In addition to feeling our attention was better focused on our customers than a legal battle, we have recently formed a joint venture with Bladewave, LLC (www.bladewave.com) to bring exciting new products to market for the comic book industry. It is also important to note that in order for us to formalize our business relationship with our joint-venture partners, Bladewave requested that we eliminate our dispute with CGC. Now, we are Team PGA! We are working together with this company to offer new and exciting products and developments to the comic book industry, and while we are not yet ready to unveil these new additions, we feel strongly that they will add an enjoyable new dimension to the comic book hobby. We are certain our customers will feel the same, and will provide information regarding these products as soon as we are able. Stay tuned for more details!

Because of our strong commitment to our customers and our partner company, we have decided not to pursue a legal battle with CGC at this time and have instead changed the name of our organization to Professional Grading Authority to better reflect the services we offer. We believe that this name change will further solidify our own identity in the industry, as well as extinguish any possible confusion between the two companies. We hope this will allow both companies to concentrate on what is important, offering a professional grading service to our customers, rather than prolonged legal battles.

We hope that the name change to Professional Grading Authority will be a welcome change for our customers and a positive step towards the continued success of PGA. We feel this change will allow us a solid place in the industry from which to move forward and expand our company, as well as continued and increased acceptance of our services in the comic book community.

While the name of our company has changed, the quality services, timely turn around and reasonable prices we offer have not. PGA is committed to the satisfaction of our customers, and we encourage you to contact us with any questions or feedback about this change.

Daniel Patterson

President, Professional Grading Authority, LLC

thecomicguys@comcast.net

(541) 341-1230

Unfortunately the change-over was a little bit abrupt so The web site may take a few days to catch up. The new URL is www.pgacomics.com. Please take the time to upgrade your bookmarks. The old link will bring up the old URL with the new content and will be phased out in time.

As a final note, mention this press release and the code word "FLINGING POO" from now through October 31st and receive a 5% discount on your next order with PGA!

Please note this applies to the 1st 30 books, and also only the cost of services and not to the S&H and insurance costs.

893applaud-thumb.gif

"However, we also believe that the time and resources we would dedicate to fighting a legal battle against CGC would be better spent focusing on our customers and providing them with the quality products and services they expect and deserve"

I just have one question, does this mean that the graders are also the legal counsel? confused-smiley-013.gifstooges.gif

we also believe that the time and resources we would dedicate to fighting a legal battle against CGC would be better spent focusing on our customers

I'm no lawyer, but not fighting CGC seems to be one of the better decisions these guys have made. insane.gif

"However, we also believe that the time and resources we would dedicate to fighting a legal battle against CGC would be better spent focusing on our customers and providing them with the quality products and services they expect and deserve"

I just have one question, does this mean that the graders are also the legal counsel? confused-smiley-013.gifstooges.gif

...and customer service, and receiving, and "quality control", and encapsulation, and shipping, and accounting. thumbsup2.gif

...and customer service, and receiving, and "quality control", and encapsulation, and shipping, and accounting. thumbsup2.gif

Now you've done it.

You've made me dig this back out.

foreheadslap.gif

491746-graders.jpg

flowerred.gif