• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proper Preservation/Storage of Golden Age

34 posts in this topic

That's a good point, jimbo re: damaging a book. I know of some collectors that like to put the comic into a mylite before sliding it into a stiff sleeve.

For the thicker GA books, I also use 5 microchamber sheets per book; on SA, just 3 sheets.

Another side topic is whether to store the books standing up or lay flat. Sometimes the storage conditions will dictate by their physical limits, but it's an interesting question nonetheless.

Does CGC puts microchamber paper in with the book when slabbing golden age??
yes with SA and GA. One sheet inside FC and one inside BC.

Got it.

Do they make any recommendation as to the time you would want to re-slab?

That is any estimate of life expectancy?

Johnny

I think CGC says 6 years, but that may be because they want your re-holdering fees. Studies suggest that the microchamber paper lasts a heck of a lot longer than that. I still have quite a few old-label slabs. I will have them re-slabbed one day, but even for those I think there's plenty of time left - years and years.

Got it.

Johnny

I've heard 7 years ish but not sure if its absolutely necessary.

Got it.

Johnny

7 Yrs. thats all, wow. That's a bit shocking assuming it is anywhere near accurate.

Does that mean some of these old label slabbed books are ready for re-slabbing?

Open Question: Assuming you have a book highly valued key book like a AF #15 or something are you going to reslab every 7 yrs like clockwork?

Johnny

I have books past their 7 year mark and I haven't re slabbed. The inner well holder is supposed to be Mylar so should be fine. It's been 13+ years since CGC started, and I have yet to hear of any issues with books except for occassional books sliding in the inner well. (Shaken book syndrome from shipping). A Marvel 2 once had a cover slide off at the spine when a buyer received from clink several years ago. The buyer was surprised to see upon opening the package that the FC had cleanly seperated from the spine while it was in in the slab. I think the story is buried in a thread somewhere.

Got it.

Johnny

7 Yrs. thats all, wow. That's a bit shocking assuming it is anywhere near accurate.

Does that mean some of these old label slabbed books are ready for re-slabbing?

Open Question: Assuming you have a book highly valued key book like a AF #15 or something are you going to reslab every 7 yrs like clockwork?

Johnny

This is a quote from the thread I linked before:

"One thing I found particularly interesting was the test of the Micro Chamber Paper (MCP) - even though the used piece had been absorbing the acids from a comic book for 7-8 years, the alkaline reserve in the paper hadn't diminished noticeably and there was no evidence that this paper was now "inert". This doesn't mean that the MCP will last forever - but it does show that CGC's estimate of a 7 year lifespan is probably on the rather conservative side."

[font:Times New Roman]Here are several useful sources of information that may add a little fuel to this discussion. The first is a PDF file so some scrolling will be involved, but it's worth the read.

Notice that you will get some variation of opinion among experts, but they're generally on the same page. Some of these resources are more applicable to a wide range of paper preservation, others more specific to comics.

It's clear that there's no single, simple solution to the problem of paper preservation. This is an ongoing process with varying degrees of consensus on what methods of care produce the best results. Treatments evolve over time as do the informed opinions of preservationists, so everything we do to protect our collections should be seen as a learning laboratory.

The one caveat I'll add from my own experience is to not get too wrapped up in the minutiae and let OC impulses drive your motivations for preservation. While it might be possible to cryogenically store and preserve comics in a nitrogen filled container of some sort for the next millennia it would also effectively destroy their usefulness to consumers and value as an appreciable art form.

Now, on to the references...

http://lib.colostate.edu/mps/images/Preservation_Family_Paper_Documents_Rev_January_2011.pdf

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/S%20CATALOG/MicroChamber.htm

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/S%20CATALOG/Archival%20Papers.htm

http://cgcforum.gpanalysis.com/cgcforum_thread.asp?pagenumber=7&ThreadID=240579&forumID=4&threadName=Storing+a+CGC+Comic+Book+In+A+Vacuum+Sealed+Bag%3F

Note: The last link is an extracted portion of an older CGC forum thread sourced through GPAnalysis. Of particular interest are remarks on microchamber paper longevity from Ernie Gerber, a pioneering expert in the field of comic preservation. These differ considerably from the 7 year cycle recommended by CGC.

Of course, second-hand conversations are often less than 100% reliable, but if Mr. Gerber's comments are credible then changing out microchamber paper is far less critical than CGC recommends. :gossip:

The bottom line: Unless your books are stored in an unhealthy environment or you get a Seven Year Itch for CGC graders and postal employees handling your precious jewels, then maybe periodic reholdering isn't for you. :blush:

For reference, I'll finish with an image of how I store books from my own collection. Take from this what you will, ...but I don't mean that literally! [/font] lol

9BBF4DB0-B8CA-4A0B-8229-F243036EEF5B-143-000005219E3A8072_zps814ecac1.jpg

The one caveat I'll add from my own experience is to not get too wrapped up in the minutiae and let OC impulses drive your motivations for preservation.
If you're a comic collector, you have already disregarded this advice. :kidaround:

Maybe a dumb question but what are the white bags surrounding the slabs - some moisture absorber?

Also, where can I buy them? Thanks.

Johnny

you mean the plastic bags the slabs are resting in? CGC puts completed slabs in them and people use them. I replace them with large Mylar bags fitted for slabs. Protects and looks better--a Mylar for slabs if you will :)

Maybe a dumb question but what are the white bags surrounding the slabs - some moisture absorber?

Also, where can I buy them? Thanks.

Johnny

[font:Times New Roman]Silicon gel desiccant packets, ...and yes. (thumbs u

They're available at lots of places. Easiest would probably be Amazon. hm

Compare prices for best deals & quantities: [/font]

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Desiccants-2-1-Inches/dp/B003DKQB02/ref=pd_sim_hg_2

The one caveat I'll add from my own experience is to not get too wrapped up in the minutiae and let OC impulses drive your motivations for preservation.
If you're a comic collector, you have already disregarded this advice. :kidaround:

[font:Times New Roman]Only the minutiae.[/font] :grin:

I keep a large, rechargeable silica unit in each of my safe deposit boxes and in areas where comics are stored. Ive kept comics in a mylite with a full back, and that in a thicker mylar. They have been stored this way for many years, and the books have not degraded in any way.

I have never used microchamber paper.

Nothing at all wrong with using microchamber paper, ankur, it can only help.

Keeping things cool, dark, dry and consistent is key. Not in a hot arid attic -- not in a damp mouldery basement. Basic common sense and don't overly expose to light.