• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Mile High ad from ASM 281 in 1986

23 posts in this topic

Daredevil 168 - $9

Hulk 141 - $1.50

Hulk 162 - $2

Hulk 180 - $4

Hulk 181 - $15

Iron Man 55 - $2

ASM 100 $6

ASM 101 $3

ASM 121 $10

ASM 122 $10

ASM 129 $2

ASM 194 $1

ASM 238 $1.50

X-Men 94 $75

GSX1 $60

:cloud9:

Yeah, but the fine print says something like "condition ranges from G to NM with most being FN".

Wanna guess at were most of those books fall in that range?

:eek: must have missed that!

One of the reasons I read actual issues of comics from the 70's and 80's instead of just buying trades is because, among other things, I love seeing the ads from when I was a kid.

Whenever I come across a Mile High ad I remember perusing them as a kid, so I take some time to look at them again. Like you, the prices on books that are now out of my league takes my breath away, and I start wondering why didn't I ever actually order from them back in the day?

Then I start going over the terms. Oh, that's why..... :facepalm:

Yeah, but the fine print says something like "condition ranges from G to NM with most being FN".

Wanna guess at were most of those books fall in that range?

$T2eC16NHJHEE9ny2qT,pBRJWhj2Yu!~~60_1.JPG

:whistle:

lol is that really one you got from them...i always thought the ads were scams in the sense that i wouldnt see the books....let alone worry about the grades.

In 1986, I believe people were chasing B&W and independent books while ignoring Silver Age books. I remember books like Fish Police and Elementals were much hotter. The only Marvels hot back then were GI Joe 2 and Spectacular Spider-Man 64.

Spider-Man 129 was a $5 book, FF48 was a $15-20 book, Siver Age TOS, TTA and Batmans were 50 cent fodder. I picked up an almost complete run of TTA from 50 to 75 for $5 after a convention from Laurie Raub when the owner failed to sell a single copy at her $2 asking price.

I did one large mail order but from a comic- not sure who it was from- might have been Mile High, might have Clyde Durkee. I think it was for around two hundred books and included a run of early Spider-Mans. The earliest was a #5 and it was really ragged, most of the SA books were Good to VG

Back then, condition just wasn't a big factor. I don't recall any of the details of what paid, but I remember having no trouble selling them for a nice profit.

In 1986, I believe people were chasing B&W and independent books while ignoring Silver Age books. I remember books like Fish Police and Elementals were much hotter. The only Marvels hot back then were GI Joe 2 and Spectacular Spider-Man 64.

Spider-Man 129 was a $5 book ...

Until The Punisher LS got hot ;)

I remember reading an 80s book and seeing one of those advertisements for Alternate Worlds which is my LCS. I thought it was really cool. When I asked the stores owner he said he ran that advertisement for like 2 months and it was the biggest hassle that he'd never do it again.

Daredevil 168 - $9

Hulk 141 - $1.50

Hulk 162 - $2

Hulk 180 - $4

Hulk 181 - $15

Iron Man 55 - $2

ASM 100 $6

ASM 101 $3

ASM 121 $10

ASM 122 $10

ASM 129 $2

ASM 194 $1

ASM 238 $1.50

X-Men 94 $75

GSX1 $60

Amazing Spider-Man 129 was $2 in 1986. Gee, that would throw off someone's belief that this book was so hot at this time, it was selling for $100 (+). Chuck would never miss a chance to squeeze out $200 on a $100 book.

Daredevil 168 - $9

Hulk 141 - $1.50

Hulk 162 - $2

Hulk 180 - $4

Hulk 181 - $15

Iron Man 55 - $2

ASM 100 $6

ASM 101 $3

ASM 121 $10

ASM 122 $10

ASM 129 $2

ASM 194 $1

ASM 238 $1.50

X-Men 94 $75

GSX1 $60

Amazing Spider-Man 129 was $2 in 1986. Gee, that would throw off someone's belief that this book was so hot at this time, it was selling for $100 (+). Chuck would never miss a chance to squeeze out $200 on a $100 book.

Yeah, the price didnt take off till the ongoing series started the following year - then it shot sky wards and stayed there.

In 1986, I believe people were chasing B&W and independent books while ignoring Silver Age books. I remember books like Fish Police and Elementals were much hotter.

Yup, I remember picking up the Overstreet guide in 87 and its big promise of the year was Aircel's Adventurers #1.

Quadrant, Albedo, Critters, omg.. Comico Primer #2 was impossible to get and no one even spoke about spidey & xmen books back then.

TMNT & Cerebus were like WD today- just effin invisible!

I got my ASM 129 in a grab bag for $20/100 comics from Passaic NJ a few years before and I remember wanting to throw it away