• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stupid newb question

13 posts in this topic

I am new to collecting Art. here is a question.

If I find a page out of a comic book that I really want the original Art on, is there some sort of database? Or how the hell do you track it down?

Where do you even start to see if certain pages original art is available, sold or who has it?

there is no easy answer for that. If it is a new comic, then find the rep that sells the artist's art (which could be the artist him/her self). If it's an older comic, that's tougher, comicartfans might be a good place

Malvin

There are some places to start you search:

• Heritage Auctions esp. their Archive
  • Comic Art Fans - Market Data can give you pricing information and the search facility can help you find people who have that artists work. You can then contact them through the CAF.
  • There are two lists of dealers that I'm aware of:

[*]Check Facebook for your specific artist

[*]Check LinkedIn for your specific artist (yep, some are there and not FB)

[*]Join the comicart-l Yahoo mail group and ask there (there is overlap between here and there, but ...)

[*]Check Convention Scene to see if there are cons near you at which your artist may appear

[*]Send a snail mail letter to the artist c/o their publisher. Hand written letters have clout.

[*]Use the CGC OA Marketplace to post WTB requests.

[*]Post general OA questions on the main CGC OA board.

Once you find it, you'll want to know what a reasonable price is. Here are some thoughts on that topic.

What did I miss?

What did I miss?

State the title/artist on these boards and 99 times out of 100 someone can point you in the right direction. :wishluck:

I understand the need for secrecy when looking for certain art, but asking about artist XXXXXXX or pages from comic XXXXXXX are typically resolved in under 24 hours thanks to th ewealth of knowledge on these boards. :golfclap:

What did I miss?

State the title/artist on these boards and 99 times out of 100 someone can point you in the right direction. :wishluck:

I understand the need for secrecy when looking for certain art, but asking about artist XXXXXXX or pages from comic XXXXXXX are typically resolved in under 24 hours thanks to th ewealth of knowledge on these boards. :golfclap:

doh! Can't believe I forgot to reference this board.

What did I miss?

I understand the need for secrecy when looking for certain art, but asking about artist XXXXXXX or pages from comic XXXXXXX are typically resolved in under 24 hours thanks to the wealth of knowledge on these boards. :golfclap:

Except for all the art that no one on this board has ever seen or tracked down. There's so much silver and bronze art that was likely swallowed deep into collections of people who don't frequent this board or any of the other OA sharing websites or chat boards. In some cases, the penciler or inker sold it or gave it away, and it was never seen again. In other cases, the penciler or inker never got the art back from Marvel/DC.

In my case, no one has a clue where over half the pages are from one book in particular that I'm trying to track down. I've talked to everyone and anyone who might know – there is one other collector who has done exhaustive detective work on this title over the years – but so far no luck.

:(

Andrew

The only original pages I own I actually picked up at Calgary Con. In 2011, Leonard Kirk was selling Dark X-Men pages at $20 a pop :o :o :o By the time I got there, only two pages were left, and they were presigned by him, however....

kirkdarkxmen_zps63b7cdf6.jpg

:whee: :whee:

I also picked up Witchblade Issue 56 Page 19 for $80 at that same con....

0ccb23b7-5209-45ee-bfb4-52f943e933d5_zps6348feae.jpg

So what I'm saying is: Go to Cons... you will never know what you'll find buried under all the prints that the artists push as their primary moneymakers.

At this last Con, they had some ORIGINAL Fathom covers from the hand of Mr Turner himself at the Aspen MLT booth.... except I couldn't afford $6000 for a piece of history at that time... :(

Let me preface this by saying, this is not my list, it's one I came across in my search for OA. It has been both a blessing and a curse (to my wallet). The opinions and commentary are not mine either. And there are a few omissions like:

NSN Art - I don't know how the original poster missed Mike and his stable of artists. :makepoint:

But here is the list (again, none of the commentary is mine). Hope it helps:

Albert Moy -- One of the longest running OA vendors, he's got a collection that ranges into the very high end stuff

Anthony's Collectibles -- Another one of the legends, Anthony Snyder, who sells boatloads of OA ranging in price from cheap to uber expensive

Art & Comics Original -- Pretty sure he's mainly a re-seller, but some interesting pages including a lot of European and Latin American artists

The Art of Comics -- Another primary rep for show faves the likes of Mahmud Asrar, Bryan Hitch, Khoi Pham and Yildiray Cinar

The Beguiling -- Amazing rep specializing in indie and small press creators. Includes Ba/Moon, Becky Cloonan, Paul Pope, Jason, Jeff Lemire, Kagan McLeod and many more!

The Artists Choice -- Spencer Beck's site featuring a massive collection of repped artists including Coipel, McNiven, Romita Jr, Epting, Cheung

Big Wow Art -- Another great selection of pages. It appears he's a rep for a few artists exclusively but most of his stock is secondary.

Black Line Fever -- An admittedly annoying old school HTML website design, but if you can get past that he has some amazing pieces for sale/trade including some legendary indie/underground stuff

Cadence Comic Art -- A personal show fave that reps the likes of Mike Norton, Gabriel Hardman, Ryan Stegman, Rafael Albuquerque, Tom Fowler, Declan Shalvey, Khary Randolph, and MANY more!

Comic Art Collective -- A hub for finding original art from many alternative comic creators, takes you directly to their creator sites

Comic Art House -- Site with collection of artists including some (like Andy Tong and Chris Moreno) that I haven't seen featured at other spots

Comic Art Ink -- Barrows, Benjamin, Boschi, Tocchini, Guara

ComicArtShop -- A hub that does a nice job of highlighting OA art available for sale at places like eBay and Heritage and via classifieds

ComicBook-Art.com -- A site that caters to some of the forgotten stalwarts of the bronze age including Keith Pollard, Arvell Jones, Frank Springer and Herb Trimpe

Comic Book Art Gallery -- Not the best looking site,but he reps Mike Perkins and sells lots of other art,too

Comic Book Pros (Alex Ross Art) -- Uncle Sal's site where he sells Alex Ross' art exclusively as well as reps Bill Sienkiewicz, Angel Medina, Texeira and Ernie Chan

Comic Con Art -- Exclusive rep for Ed Benes and a host of other artists including Andre Pepoy and Tony Akins

Dave Karlen Art -- Reps the likes of Eduardo Barreto and Butch Guice

Cool Lines Art -- Broad based rep who re-sells art from all eras

Distinctive Original Art -- Another old school website that could use some updating, but he has great pages for sale from the likes of Byrne, Alan Davis, Pacheco, Ploog, Rude, Grell and others

Essential Sequential -- Home of Sean Murphy, Eric Canete, Mark Chiarello, Matteo Scalera, Dave Johnson, Stephane Roux and others

Fanfare Sports & Entertainment -- Michigan based store that sells all kinds of merchandise, but has a HUGE collection of secondary original art for sale too, including Stuart Immonen

Fog City Art Exchange -- Very small site but noteworthy in that it appears to be the rep for Art Adams

Got Super Powers? -- Mike Allred and other goodness

Graphic Collectibles -- I've never used this site but they have a ton of different pages from lots of artists and the prices vary from very affordable to super high end

Koch ComicArt -- Wide variety of art ranging from comic books to strips to indie stuff

KwanChang.com -- Another site I just recently discovered. He is the exclusive rep for Clayton Henry and Leinil Yu, but has lots of secondary pages for sale on top of that

The Interior Pages -- Jason Palmer is building up a nice roster of talent including Joe Eisma, Rahsan Ekedal and Riley Rossimo

Lewis Wayne Gallery -- Lewis Wayne Gallery is a high end dealer who carries everything from comic art to pulps to vintage original movie art. In spite of being a jack of all trades, Lewis Wayne has an EXCEPTIONAL collection of classic comic art, ranging from the EC greats to MAD Magazine original pages to the likes of John Buscema, Ernie Colon and John Severin.

McConnell Art -- Relatively new OA dealer in Canada focused on a number of local indie creators like Marion Churchland and Brandon Graham. Also happens to be the host of the InkStuds podcast.

Michael Alexander Art -- Set up shop on ComicArtFans and acts as the rep for the likes of Jason Pearson, Jonboy Meyers, Tyler Kirkham and Mike Henderson.

The Mighty Fine Art -- Not as active in their promotion and harder to find, but I came across them when Paul Pelletier told me he was repped by them. Also reps Stelfreeze, Jeanty, Hamner and others

Nostalgic Investments -- Carries VERY high end comic art, in the tens of thousands of dollars

Red Sector Art -- Just discovered this site when looking for Eduardo Risso art. He reps Risso and a handful of other European artists

Rojay's Original Art -- The site is a bit old school in look and feel, but there's a lot of interesting original art available, both new and old. Rojay is a re-seller, and has something that probably appeals to every collector

Romitaman Original Art -- Claims to be the largest original art dealer in the world, and certainly it's hard to argue against it. Has a MASSIVE collection of secondary art from some of the very best to ever work in the business. Deals in pricier stuff so few "bargains" here

Scott Eder Art -- Deals in indie comic artists including the likes of Johnny Ryan, Peter Bagge and Milo Manara

Serendipity Art Sales -- Broad collection of art including some artist alley faves

SplashPageArt -- Reps a boatload of artists including Adlard, Ottley, Cliff Chiang and Jock