• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

I'd like CGC to put books with true non-harmful archival tape in blue holders. Sure, downgrade it for the tape (i.e. grade it as if the tape weren't there) but it's really not restored with archival, removable tape is it? (shrug)

I agree.

perhaps that will be their next adjustment.

I hope so. :)

I assume that raw books with tape will be graded the same as they always have been (and for a considerable time into the future).

I cannot see big time dealers re-grading hundreds or thousands of taped books anytime soon as it would be a huge hit financially. I can assure you though that several dealers will be using the new rule as a way of beating down the price when buying however hm

So a question. What happens to books in 3.0 holders that have the notation: tape on entire spine?

Will these books be traded at 3.0 levels or 1.0 levels?

unless there is across the board resistance folks own the books at whatever they paid per change and my guess is they won't lower price to post change

And the book will have the potential to sit unsold at that price. There are only a few dozen books that are in high enough demand that these defects can be overlooked.

I assume that raw books with tape will be graded the same as they always have been (and for a considerable time into the future).

Nope. The change begins with submissions dated after today, May 3rd.

As collectors, we have to make the choice if NOT buying such books. There was a more fun 67 I saw at NYCC last year. The spine had one strip of tape, and when you looked inside, it was clear the entire spine was split. The grade assigned? 3.0 and priced as such. I asked why this wasn't a 1.0 and the answer recieved was: "because that's how CGC grades". I passed on the book, and if I see it again, I will be sure to point out that CGC no longer considers this a 3.0.

As collectors, we have to make the choice if NOT buying such books. There was a more fun 67 I saw at NYCC last year. The spine had one strip of tape, and when you looked inside, it was clear the entire spine was split. The grade assigned? 3.0 and priced as such. I asked why this wasn't a 1.0 and the answer recieved was: "because that's how CGC grades". I passed on the book, and if I see it again, I will be sure to point out that CGC no longer considers this a 3.0.

Given that CGC telegraphed that this change was coming, I would guess that book is probably in a slab by now.

So a question. What happens to books in 3.0 holders that have the notation: tape on entire spine?

Will these books be traded at 3.0 levels or 1.0 levels?

Maybe we can get a volunteer and see what the new grade is now.. Anyone? :devil:

get a cheap GA and for the experiment. :idea:

Given that CGC telegraphed that this change was coming, I would guess that book is probably in a slab by now.

Maybe so, but if it is priced at 3.0 money, I can bet it will sit for a long time. More Fun is not exactly a hot title right now.

Maybe so, but if it is priced at 3.0 money, I can bet it will sit for a long time. More Fun is not exactly a hot title right now.

Which might be why it's a good time to buy em, but that's a topic for another thread!

I avoid tape like the plague with one exception. I bought a Batman 1 with tape down the entire spine but I planned on having it removed before I bought it (which I did).
here's one less bidder :)

How did the bat 1 turn out? :)

batman1.jpg

Turned out very nice indeed!!

before and after, No pieces added, color touch to Batman and Robin's mouth area, the yellow on the back cover and the red in the front cover "B". And of course the tape removal on the spine. Turned out no split at all. Tape served no purpose.

batman1starr.jpg

I have one book with the infamous tape on the interior spine, Young Men 24. It went fairly cheaply because of the tape, so I was satisfied with the price. This was before I knew dealers and collectors were purposefully taping books up to achieve higher grades. If I would have known, I might not have bid. But water under the bridge now. It's still a fun book that I like owning,and wasn't planning on selling it anyway. CGC's new policy is definitely a step forward for the hobby.

Now what if CGC had a policy where they will regrade the book for free, AND pay you the difference of the drop in grade?

Just because Comiclink gives away tons of money when they screw something up, don't think that too many others will.