• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homemade Mjolnir with 80,000 volt Tesla coil in it,shoots very tiny lightning.

9 posts in this topic

If you're like most you're picturing this .

Thor Hammer-Tesla coil-80,000 volts must hopefully look like this

Ok,so no.

But hey it's still the start of something.

From Boingboing page.

Not content with a "crappy plastic Thor's hammer," Caleb from Hackaday made himself a Tesla-coil-equipped Mjolnir with a tiny, 80,000 volt Tesla coil in its head. It shoots lightning! Lots of built photos on the Hackaday site, too.

I had seen some videos of [staci Elaan] showing off her battery-powered coils and I really liked her results. I figured, with her experience, she could probably do a better job than I could on getting the most bang out of a small package. She was happy to be involved and delivered a small 12v powered coil for me to work with. I should also point out that the coils [staci] makes are usually donated to educational groups. This woman is awesome.

She had built this big flat head on it, with the initial plan being that it would be the front “face” of the hammer. It didn’t really work out that way though. I ended up having to increase the size of the head a bit and change the orientation of the coil. I experimented with different types of foam and you can see in the “making of” video what I finally ended up using. The blue insulation board you see in the pictures melted way too easily.

So THIS is the reason Roy hasn't been posting as much.

He's making Mjolnirs in his garage! :applause:

(Just kidding, Roy... :) )

According to Roy, I'm one of the reasons he doesn't visit more often. (shrug)

All kidding aside, this YouTube guy has WAY too much time on his hands. lol

According to Roy, I'm one of the reasons he doesn't visit more often. (shrug)

All kidding aside, this YouTube guy has WAY too much time on his hands. lol

We all have too much time on our hands Mark... at least this guy has something to show for it lol

So correct me if I am wrong as this is nowhere near my area of expertise. He is walking around with a stun gun concealed in Thor's Hammer.

So correct me if I am wrong as this is nowhere near my area of expertise. He is walking around with a stun gun concealed in Thor's Hammer.

He'd probably get arrested for the hammer size first before anyone sees the stun gun.

And he can always say,

"Those arent stun gun emitters officer,they're ASGARD BOLTS OF LIGHTNING !