• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Guess on the Round 4 Book is....

28 posts in this topic

Hopped up on goofballs was a term from the 60's.

'Hopped' was initially an expression used to refer to someone who used opiates

(a hophead) but gradually came to be used to refer to anyone who was

high on an illegal drug.

Goof balls were barbiturates but eventually referred to any mind-altering drugs.

OK - old guy just cannot - well - not post. "Hopped up" is from the 20's. "Goofball" as in the barbituate (have to correct you - goofball is NOT any illegal drug - it was used for barbs - for example - eating a nice thumbnail size piece of hi-grade hash would not be consdiered a goofball.) Nor would coke or acid or mesc be considered a goofball. It was always the downer type of barbs. Got that? crazy.gif)

And "hopped up"? It is from the 20's and did refer to getting high. Now maybe in the 60's "hopped up on goofballs" was coined but I honestly doubt it. Sounds at LEAST 50's to me and probably 40's.

So THERE! insane.gifinsane.gifcrazy.gif

sorry.gif

hi.gif

Peace Love Dove flowerred.gif

::screw you danged Hippie Pov:::

high on an illegal drug.

Goof balls were barbiturates but eventually referred to any mind-altering drugs.

OK - old guy just cannot - well - not post. "Hopped up" is from the 20's. "Goofball" as in the barbituate (have to correct you - goofball is NOT any illegal drug - it was used for barbs - for example - eating a nice thumbnail size piece of hi-grade hash would not be consdiered a goofball. Nor would coke or acid or mesc be considered a goofball. It was always the downer type of barbs. Got that? crazy.gif)

And "hopped up"? It is form the 20's and did refer to getting high. Now maybe in the 60's "hopped up on goofballs" was coined but I honestly doubt it. Sounds at LEAST 50's to me and probably 40's.

sorry.gif

hi.gif

black beauties yellow jackets white cross GO GO Helpers

POV try 20's It's slang for being slow orGOOFie as a HIball was all the rage goof+ball. or not 27_laughing.gif

high on an illegal drug.

OK - old guy just cannot - well - not post. "Hopped up" is from the 20's. "Goofball" as in the barbituate (have to correct you - goofball is NOT any illegal drug - it was used for barbs - for example - eating a nice thumbnail size piece of hi-grade hash would not be consdiered a goofball.) Nor would coke or acid or mesc be considered a goofball. It was always the downer type of barbs. Got that? crazy.gif)

And "hopped up"? It is from the 20's and did refer to getting high. Now maybe in the 60's "hopped up on goofballs" was coined but I honestly doubt it. Sounds at LEAST 50's to me and probably 40's.

sorry.gif

hi.gif

Gotta agree with POV, I was there in the late 60's, and we never got "hopped up on goofballs" -- pretty square sheet, if you ask me.

gossip.gifWe may have been droppin' acid, smokin' pot, shootin' coke, and later doin' ludes, but we were never "hopped up on goofballs" - sounds like something you'd read in those anti-drug pamphlets from the 60's, written by people who knew nothing, coining language from the 20's or 30's.

gossip.gif

I also doubt the derivation relates to opium -- its "hopped" as in hops, not "popped" as in poppies. It probably dates to prohibition 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

not "popped" as in poppies

My best recollection of "popped" was as in "poppers" - aka amyl nitrate. No endorsement here. Just some history! grin.gif

Geez... gotta get technical now..... 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

From Etymology Online:

hopped (adj.) - a word that seems to merge the three senses of hop; the meaning "flavored with hops" (hop (n.1)) is first attested 1669; that of "under the influence of drugs" (hop (n.2)) is from 1924; that of "excited, enthusiastic" (perhaps from hop (v.)) is from 1923. Meaning "performance-enhanced" (of an engine, etc.) is from 1945.

hop (v.) - O.E. hoppian "to spring, dance," from P.Gmc. *khupnojanan (cf. O.N. hoppa, Du. huppen, Ger. hüpfen "to hop"). Slang noun sense of "informal dancing party" is from 1731 (defined by Johnson as "a place where meaner people dance").

hop (n.1) - "vine," c.1440, from M.Du. hoppe, from P.Gmc. *khup-nan-, of unknown origin.

hop (n.2) - "opium," 1887, from Cantonese nga-pin (pronounced HAH-peen) "opium," a Chinese folk etymology of the Eng. word opium, lit. "crow peelings." Re-folk-etymologized back into Eng. by association with hop (n.1).

goof - 1916, Amer.Eng., "stupid person," perhaps a variant of Eng. dial. goff "foolish clown" (1869), from 16c. goffe, probably from M.Fr. goffe "awkward, stupid," of uncertain origin. Or Eng. goffe may be from M.E. goffen "speak in a frivolous manner," possibly from O.E. gegaf "buffoonery," and gaffetung "scolding." Sense of "a blunder" is c.1954, probably infl. by gaffe. The verbal meaning "waste time" is 1932; the verb meaning "make a mistake" is from 1941. Goof off "loaf" is also from 1941. Adj. goofy is attested from 1921. The Disney character of that name began life as Dippy Dawg c.1929. Goofball "narcotic" is from 1938; as an intensive of goof, it dates from 1959.

==========================================

Okay, according to this source, the first part of that phrase probably did derive from the 1920's. The Goofball part of it originated in 1938 although it was used as an "intensive of goof" from 1959.

Which means that it probably didn't enter the national lexicon as a phrase "Hopped up on goofballs" until the early sixties. (I was just extrapolating there.)