• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG silver keys softening?

187 posts in this topic

Instead of looking for market reports,just enjoy your comics.To hell with movie hype,and stock fluctuations.I find I'm alot happier when I don't think about what's the next movie,or which one will go up in value because of it.

It's quite freeing really. :cloud9:

+1000

Interesting to read about new money coming into the hobby to by HG silver keys.

What I've been seeing is a steady flow of collectors moving away from comics collecting/speculating and applying the money towards purchases of original comic book art, illustration art and strip art.

Many of my friends quit purchasing HG Silver keys and those funds have been spent of Silver and Bronze age Marvels and DC art and they haven't looked back.

There's been a huge run up in OA prices, and I've been thinking about getting back into the HG silver market, but as I continue to hear more and more stories of book tampering, spine re-alignments and artificially manufactured high grade books, I think my decision to stick with collecting OA is the right one.

Instead of looking for market reports,just enjoy your comics.To hell with movie hype,and stock fluctuations.I find I'm alot happier when I don't think about what's the next movie,or which one will go up in value because of it.

It's not a bad idea, though, to keep an eye on price movements for key books that you may be interested in adding to your collection or selling to fund other buys.

There will likely always be someone out there willing to buy the top census books at uber high prices. It doesn't matter if the top of the market declines or goes up, I still will not be a player at 100K $+ comics unless something changes dramatically.

Wise buyer/sellers move between inflated markets such as stocks or comics. I know many collectors that sold significant comics to fund stock market purchases, only to resell stocks later and purchase more comics. Chase the market you like, trust, or have a gut feel for. As a collector this is tough. As a dealer or recycler,flipper, it's ideal.

Pressing has made availability increase on silver and bronze etc. so prices have leveled or dropped from record highs, but they will return and surpass. Inflation alone will guarantee that.

I dislike digital comics so I won't comment. They will never impact my fun of the hobby.

Now go sell all those movie hyped characters and make a profit out there. :sumo:

Interesting to read about new money coming into the hobby to by HG silver keys.

What I've been seeing is a steady flow of collectors moving away from comics collecting/speculating and applying the money towards purchases of original comic book art, illustration art and strip art.

Many of my friends quit purchasing HG Silver keys and those funds have been spent of Silver and Bronze age Marvels and DC art and they haven't looked back.

There's been a huge run up in OA prices, and I've been thinking about getting back into the HG silver market, but as I continue to hear more and more stories of book tampering, spine re-alignments and artificially manufactured high grade books, I think my decision to stick with collecting OA is the right one.

You need more wall space then. OO is very cool, but wow, just like SA, prices have escalated on many items out of the reach of so many collectors.

It's not a bad idea, though, to keep an eye on price movements for key books that you may be interested in adding to your collection or selling to fund other buys.

You’re right, and this is the only reason for which unfortunately I have to know about what they are doing with these movies. :P

Have the mega keys and pressing made high grade examples too available ?

Not just available, but suspect too.

Was Doug Schmell Cashing out because he saw the market heading down hill?

No. He just needed the money and wasn't fan/collector enough to hang on to his comics. Of course, I doubt that he had anything but well massaged Frankenbooks either so he may not have had any vested interest in his comics.

;)

Doug was a long time collector and a very big fan. In fact, it was his love of the books and long term refusal to flip for a quick buck which often landed him in the situation regarding the ethics and his legal issues.

I know the boards does not love him, but I think we should be fair in the evaluation as well. He was very attached to many of the books and had a genuine love for comics in general, at least at one point in time, and I think in some ways, still today.

The other note I'd make is that not all his books were pressed, nor were many of them "frankenbooks".

Are keys softening? Yes -- except some notable exceptions like Hulk 1 and BB 28. But it's cyclical. FF 1 is taking it's turn in the dog house. Avengers 1 and JIM 83 are steady. Showcase 22 came back to earth. Soon enough, things will run up again for several keys and FF 1 will have it's day in the sun again. In all honesty, keys to me are the blue chips. I'm happy with AF 15s and ASM 1s all day long, but if you buy them at the top, it will be hard to short term win with them right now.

I have noticed that lower grade copies of SA keys are moving better than mid to high grade at the shows I have done the past couple of years. Even with BA keys there seems to be a sweet "I am in the club" grade and price point on books that collectors do not think twice about paying.

I have noticed that lower grade copies of SA keys are moving better than mid to high grade at the shows I have done the past couple of years. Even with BA keys there seems to be a sweet "I am in the club" grade and price point on books that collectors do not think twice about paying.

Definitely true. Supported by several other dealers as well as store owners who are moving low and mid grade keys within 24 hours of getting them.

Here's my observation about keys, it is difficult to acquire them at anything less than FMV (GPA). Dealers like to have keys, especially for conventions, and they have to pay FMV and sell them for FMV+. This results in a steady upward price cycle.

Here's my observation about keys, it is difficult to acquire them at anything less than FMV (GPA). Dealers like to have keys, especially for conventions, and they have to pay FMV and sell them for FMV+. This results in a steady upward price cycle.

So, just wondering anyone's seen the 'steady upward price cycle' make certain books unattainable and thereby switch collectors' focus to the next best (second best) alternative?

For example, the big upwards price swing on AF 15 must have left some collectors cold, unable to afford this key book. Have they then their sites on the more affordable ASM #1?

Filter is a dealer. I`ve never heard any dealer say things weren`t good, even when they really weren`t.

If we are going to qualify Filter's response in this way then we really need to qualify every response.

Definitely true. Supported by several other dealers as well as store owners who are moving low and mid grade keys within 24 hours of getting them.

So true. There are so many fans out there who can't afford nosebleed prices and jump to buy keys in the birthday gift price range of $100-$500. Typically if we have 4 copies of a key the first to sell is the lowest grade and the last to sell if the highest grade.

I also agree with this.

We buy keys all the time to take to shows. It's almost impossible to buy them for less than say 90% of market value. We know our fixed cost and hang on to the keys until someone is willing to pay us a small profit.

...... yet OSPG recently dropped several Lower grade keys by as much as 40%..... case in point.... JLA 1 from 700 to 400 in good and 1100 to 800 in VG. Personally, I'd be happy to pick that book up at wholesale for the "new" price. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FF 1 is taking it's turn in the dog house.

Do you have a "dog" copy to sell me? :sorry:

But it must be really a dog copy… :D

strange, FF 1 is selling strong for me right now (shrug)

...... yet OSPG recently dropped several Lower grade keys by as much as 40%..... case in point.... JLA 1 from 700 to 400 in good and 1100 to 800 in VG. Personally, I'd be happy to pick that book up at wholesale for the "new" price. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It is funny, but on low to mid grade keys the guide price is only mentioned by..........other dealers or collector/dealer types when they try to buy from you. lol

The only time the guide is relevant any longer is when buying a collection as a reference that both the seller and buyer can use as a starting point.