• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG silver keys softening?

187 posts in this topic

Are the prices on high grade silver mega keys heading downwards? What do you think the outlook is for the nosebleed books?

Was Doug Schmell Cashing out because he saw the market heading down hill?

Will the rise in equity markets mean less capital is put into collectibles?

Have the mega keys and pressing made high grade examples too available ?

Does the rise of digital comics represent the end of funny book collecting?

Are the prices on high grade silver mega keys heading downwards? What do you think the outlook is for the nosebleed books?

There were a number of other non-market related factors that played into that decision

I have personally been noticing plenty of new money coming into the hobby. Don't think this is a problem.

Yes

No

There were a number of other non-market related factors that played into that decision

I have personally been noticing plenty of new money coming into the hobby. Don't think this is a problem.

Yes

No

So the outlook is good?

What do you think about the AF 15 9.6 sale at 1.1 million? If the book came up for sale today would I get a similar or higher price?

I was going through a $5 bin of books and found this little gem. This is is Neal Adams first published work drawn when he was 17 years old....

Direct Quote from Neal Adams. Source: http://www.webcitation.org/5lJycKN5e

"Adventures of the Fly #4 was my first work, and that panel was printed in a comic book. It probably is one of the greatest collector's items you could get of mine."

Mr Adams 1st published work.....

getfile_zpsaf2577ca.jpg

2013-05-04_16-09-38_527_zps82593208.jpg

Yes

No

So the outlook is good?

Filter is a dealer. I`ve never heard any dealer say things weren`t good, even when they really weren`t.

Yes

No

So the outlook is good?

Filter is a dealer. I`ve never heard any dealer say things weren`t good, even when they really weren`t.

lol Any other opinions?

Supply and demand. These are books from the 1960s not the 1940s. In a perfect world with no pressing and a consistent CGC, there would be a very different picture painted right now. As it sits, prices should be coming down on all UHG, new money and all.

Yes

No

So the outlook is good?

So if I can take two things away from this post its that:

1) All dealers are liars if it suits them to do so

and

2) you didn't actually read my post to reach that conclusion.

All I did was answer four questions.

1) I don't believe market conditions was the main factor behind Doug selling his collection when he did. I believe there were some personal reasons involved.

2) I've seen no evidence that the rise in equity markets has had any effect on comic book collecting whatsoever, and have sold some big books to "new" money in recent months.

3) I do think the widespread ability to press books is making mega keys too available in high grade.

4) and I don't think digital comic collecting is going to destroy the hobby.

But then again, I'm a dealer so you probably shouldn't trust me... :tonofbricks:

Wow, I guess you have never asked me either.

Some of the keys are soft right now.

I find that lower graded keys are much easier to sell than higher graded copies.

Soft grading has definitely put a damper on certain issues. Avengers #4 for example. X-Men #1.

Hot keys have a "price point".

When the stock market is rising I find that there is competition for "comic dollars". However I am not getting as many "stock market is making me lots of money" emails like i did prior to 2008.

All DC keys suck, especially Showcase #4 and Flash #105, only kidding. Wanted to see if you were awake.

Are the prices on high grade silver mega keys heading downwards?

- I'll take Bob's read of this part of the market any day: some downwards, some upwards.

- No. His business wasn't cutting it and he needed the $3 million cash.

- The market rise puts more disposable income into collectors' pockets, not less.

- For some of the keys, especially those published after 1963.

- Don't see why it would, especially with the unprecedented success of the superhero movie genre making the characters more iconic than ever.

-Prices on certain keys and HG book has peaked and will be some time before the prices rise again. There will be a bottom and consolidation is healthy.

-Prices has already been declining since 2009 on non-keys and some keys, so Doug is profit taking before more downward pressure.

-The rise in equity markets and is a good sign which means more disposable income to spend on collectibles. The further rise in the equity market will signal future inflation in the horizon.

-Certain keys has experienced price stagnation and downward pressure due to the increase numbers in grade. Some keys are not affected due to higher demand.

-In the next 20 years, the picture will be more clear if there is a strong effect.

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't necessarily believe any of my original questions espcially the one re digital comics. These are all sentiments I see said with some frequency on the boards. If anything I think digital is good, as it could increase readership and those new readers will also covet the books that started it all.

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't necessarily believe any of my original questions espcially the one re digital comics. These are all sentiments I see said with some frequency on the boards. If anything I think digital is good, as it could increase readership and those new readers will also covet the books that started it all.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as for digital comics. Now if this were a video game forum I would tell you to be very cautious as a result. Comic books however, seem to be immune mostly if only for the fact that the video game community knew to expect digital downloads since way back in the early 1990's. Since that time both emulation and digital distribution have had a significant impact on both prices (depending of the game in question) and the direction in which the industry is taking as a whole. I remember reading articles in Video Games & Computer Entertainment (one of my favorite magazines of the time) that discussed these issues in depth and this was back in the early 1990's.

As for the question of how the positive equities markets may impact the comic book market, I could only answer from the point of view from the overall antiques market. I have seen multiple outcomes occur due to positive movement in both the economy and the stock market as a whole. I do believe that it is best to have a dealer directly involved in the industry answer this question as a result. I see no need to doubt any of them as all of the dealers on this forum have treated me with nothing but respect and I see no reason for any of them to mislead anyone for that matter.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Not just available, but suspect too.

No. He just needed the money and wasn't fan/collector enough to hang on to his comics. Of course, I doubt that he had anything but well massaged Frankenbooks either so he may not have had any vested interest in his comics.

;)

As to the effect of the booming stock market on the comics market, feels like the 90s right now. Big money comics guys shied away from comics that rose 5% a year in the Guide ( pretty much the strongest barometer of comics pricing back then) and preferred buying Intel, Microsoft and everything else that was going up many times as fast and high at the time.

This wasn't universal by any means, cause the overlap of guys who love comics and could afford the best stuff back then was a small small group ( you were either a grown up in the stock market, or a comics collector) .

But with the market at all time highs, the lure of bigger and faster profits is feeling very real again.

I also agree with most that Doug did not make a call on the comics market "top" by selling. If anything, his crystal ball was two to three years late... Most of his comics were selling for a lot more in 2008 and 2009. He did do well with some of his bigger keys. But I think most of them were going to sell for the same numbers had he placed them personally as a dealer. But with prices dropping on most of his 9.8 bronze and late silver, he got out before those books were worth even less.

The increased supply HAS affected pricing of the keys though. Many of the keys just don't look as scarce in HG when there are 15 to 20 copies in 9.4 and better when there used to be only a handful.

As to the effect of the booming stock market on the comics market, feels like the 90s right now. Big money comics guys shied away from comics that rose 5% a year in the Guide ( pretty much the strongest barometer of comics pricing back then) and preferred buying Intel, Microsoft and everything else that was going up many times as fast and high at the time.

This wasn't universal by any means, cause the overlap of guys who love comics and could afford the best stuff back then was a small small group ( you were either a grown up in the stock market, or a comics collector) .

But with the market at all time highs, the lure of bigger and faster profits is feeling very real again.

I also agree with most that Doug did not make a call on the comics market "top" by selling. If anything, his crystal ball was two to three years late... Most of his comics were selling for a lot more in 2008 and 2009. He did do well with some of his bigger keys. But I think most of them were going to sell for the same numbers had he placed them personally as a dealer. But with prices dropping on most of his 9.8 bronze and late silver, he got out before those books were worth even less.

The increased supply HAS affected pricing of the keys though. Many of the keys just don't look as scarce in HG when there are 15 to 20 copies in 9.4 and better when there used to be only a handful.

You don't usually make a call at the exact top. Unless you are a savant, most hold until past the top and then sell when the downward trend is obvious.

So just because he missed the apogee doesn’t mean he wasn’t selling because of a downward trend.

But if his business was in trouble that

And I couldn’t see why they should. eBooks are not the same thing as books, they are a complementary resource. Besides this, strictly speaking, like all software or computer data, they don’t actually "exist", and you will always need a device to access them, and will always depend on technological developments which make previous hardware obsolete.

Yes

No

So the outlook is good?

So if I can take two things away from this post its that:

1) All dealers are liars if it suits them to do so

and

2) you didn't actually read my post to reach that conclusion.

All I did was answer four questions.

1) I don't believe market conditions was the main factor behind Doug selling his collection when he did. I believe there were some personal reasons involved.

2) I've seen no evidence that the rise in equity markets has had any effect on comic book collecting whatsoever, and have sold some big books to "new" money in recent months.

3) I do think the widespread ability to press books is making mega keys too available in high grade.

But then again, I'm a dealer so you probably shouldn't trust me... :tonofbricks:

Not calling you a liar and it`s not anything personal directed towards you. Just pointing out that you are a dealer and anyone who didn`t realize you were a dealer needed to understand that your opinion (or any dealer`s when asked to comment on the market) isn`t going to be totally objective.

:foryou:

All DC keys suck, especially Showcase #4 and Flash #105, only kidding. Wanted to see if you were awake.

Since I`ve never owned either book, I totally agree with you!

See, my opinion isn`t objective either!

Instead of looking for market reports,just enjoy your comics.To hell with movie hype,and stock fluctuations.I find I'm alot happier when I don't think about what's the next movie,or which one will go up in value because of it.

It's quite freeing really. :cloud9: