• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC grading apples

30 posts in this topic

OK, so I open my lunch sack up today at work and pull out the most perfect apple I've ever seen. That's GOTTA be a CGC 9.9 Red Delicious. No bruising, perfect red coloring, stem perfectly cut and curving, absolutely stunning eye appeal. Only thing keeping it from a perfect 10.0 is that the overall shaping is just slightly off-balance. I peeled off the produce number sticker easily, no residue, cool. However, I believe this apple may be restored. It's got a coating of waxy gloss on it. The gloss didn't grow on the apple, it was added later. Hmmm? All the apples were produced in this same way. Maybe it does not deserve a purple label?

So, I see cars for sale in the parking lot. That 1992 Camaro selling for $2,500 looks like a CGC 7.0. One of my cats put claw marks on the vinyl of my bass amp, DAMN! That brings the amp from a 9.0 all the way down to a 7.0. My treadmill, getting a little worn down now, some paint chipping off: CGC 8.5.

Am I going nuts here? Seems like I am giving EVERYTHING a CGC-type grade. My wife? CGC 9.4. Looks great, but not 25 anymore.

But when it comes to grading fruit....... 893frustrated.gif

I gotta do something about this obsession. --------Sid

All I know is that with all this grading, you're cruising for a -1 demerit in the Grading Contest. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I wasn't even aware of that contest before it was too late. I never signed up. Oh well, maybe I'll make a team next year. In the meantime, I'll just keep practicing on grading produce.

My wife? CGC 9.4. Looks great, but not 25 anymore.

Just be glad that she's not a CGC 5.0 that's been restored to an apparent CGC 9.4. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, I had to take a risk at just grading her at a NM 9.4. Really, If I don't grade her a 10.0 Gem Mint I am putting myself at risk to a smack upside the head. foreheadslap.gif

**catchy tune from some old commercial in the background**

"Whatever it is I think I see... becomes a CGC to me!"

thumbsup2.gif

TOOTSIE ROLLS!!!! thumbsup2.gif

My wife? CGC 9.4. Looks great, but not 25 anymore.

Just be glad that she's not a CGC 5.0 that's been restored to an apparent CGC 9.4. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually I think I might rather have a professionally restored wife rather than a qualified wife. Yickes! 893whatthe.gif

I probably shouldn't say this but..... my wife was an unrestored "A". Now she is a restored full "C". Let me tell ya'. THIS is the kind of restoration that you WANT. Sometimes a little restoration in the right places can ADD to the value, rather than take away from it. Especially when it is professional restoration that is hard to detect. thumbsup2.gif

I probably shouldn't say this but..... my wife was an unrestored "A". Now she is a restored full "C". Let me tell ya'. THIS is the kind of restoration that you WANT. Sometimes a little restoration in the right places can ADD to the value, rather than take away from it. Especially when it is professional restoration that is hard to detect. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gifYes, but is she trimmed? wink.gif

27_laughing.gifYes, but is she trimmed? wink.gif

893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gif