• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

April sales are out

354 posts in this topic

Alright, heading to bed, and just to put the final nail in this non-argument, pointless waste of time. Here is why you dont include Zero, when you are trying to zoom in on percent change.......

A squished graph and pointless whitespace......yay :screwy:

whyNOzero.jpg

I like the one on the right better if you're comparing multiple books.

I don't have a problem digesting the raw data you provided to supplement the charts but if you are going to do multiple charts for a variety of books then it probably does make sense to incorporate a static baseline for comparison. The sad truth is that once you go with a chart you need consistency since most of your audience will not bother to look at any supplemental raw data.

Differentiating a consistently bad selling book from a consistently good selling book isn't as "easy" with your charts (w/data) if the trends are the same. I will now hit the return button several times to create some pointless whitespace for this post.

:baiting:

:acclaim:

I know - modern forum and people actually know what they are talking about - shocker eh!

You are right though - this is defo one of the better threads.

It probably highlights the work needed to be a succesful flipper - there is also one other massive component and that is freedom of thought.

One needs to be able to come to your own conclusion about the merits of a book on the secondary market.

Just because an author or dealer hypes a book,does not mean it will be successful....

But we all knew that anyway eh? ;)

You hit the nail on the head with that statement :grin:

Just because an author, dealer or pump and dump huckster hypes a book, does not mean it will be successful.

True, but doesn't mean it won't either . I went through a period years ago where I bought EVERYTHING that said Stormwatch 37-50, 1-9, and Stormwatch/Aliens, the Authority, and Planetary on them. I think the original runs were awesome. I was sometimes accused of overhyping them but I absolutely couldn't get enough of them.

A lot of people ended up liking the books and they were profitable for a year or two and then they weren't. I didn't hype them solely to turn a profit. I personally still love them ( read them every year in TPB for on vacation ) and I see a likeness between them and the new Injustice Gods Among US ( though Warren Ellis still rules in my mind ) and I will certainly tell people about Injustice. I wish I had ordered 100 of number 1 of Injustice. It is a cool story and dealers, collectors, flippers, and most everyone else missed the boat.

I first heard about East of West, Five Ghosts, Helheim, and a few others on this site and for the most part, I'm glad I did. Most of us are guilty of pushing comics we like. There are some clunkers that were terrible but I will read a bad one to get to a good one. I think its going to be a fun year to be a comic guy :grin:

You have good taste in comics. Talking about, and getting people interested in comics that you enjoy is great. The past couple years have been really fun. The WD explosion, in and of itself, has been fascinating. And so has the 2012 Image new series phenomenon.

Also, math nerd slapflights are awesome.

Yes they are lol

When I read CBT, I start to hear Katy Perry's "Firework" playing in my head...

"Baby you're a firework work. Come on let your fires burn. Make it go an ah ah. As you reach up for the sky sky sky. Baby you're a firework."

And then the unicorn shows up to ruin the party...

Also, math nerd slapflights are awesome.

Yes they are lol

When I read CBT, I start to hear Katy Perry's "Firework" playing in my head...

"Baby you're a firework work. Come on let your fires burn. Make it go an ah ah. As you reach up for the sky sky sky. Baby you're a firework."

And then the unicorn shows up to ruin the party...

1esw4.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I like the one on the right better if you're comparing multiple books.

I don't have a problem digesting the raw data you provided to supplement the charts but if you are going to do multiple charts for a variety of books then it probably does make sense to incorporate a static baseline for comparison.

well, then you should love/quote what I said on the subject, in the post right before the one you quoted:

If one wanted to have a fixed axis graph (which you would need to chart two books at the same time), the true bottom value of the graph should be whatever the cut off for the top 300 is, since thats the data in the set. 1500 would make far more sense than 0, IF AND ONLY IF, one is wanting to have a fixed axis graph.

I know - modern forum and people actually know what they are talking about - shocker eh!

You are right though - this is defo one of the better threads.

It probably highlights the work needed to be a succesful flipper - there is also one other massive component and that is freedom of thought.

One needs to be able to come to your own conclusion about the merits of a book on the secondary market.

Just because an author or dealer hypes a book,does not mean it will be successful....

But we all knew that anyway eh? ;)

You hit the nail on the head with that statement :grin:

Just because an author, dealer or pump and dump huckster hypes a book, does not mean it will be successful.

True, but doesn't mean it won't either . I went through a period years ago where I bought EVERYTHING that said Stormwatch 37-50, 1-9, and Stormwatch/Aliens, the Authority, and Planetary on them. I think the original runs were awesome. I was sometimes accused of overhyping them but I absolutely couldn't get enough of them.

A lot of people ended up liking the books and they were profitable for a year or two and then they weren't. I didn't hype them solely to turn a profit. I personally still love them ( read them every year in TPB for on vacation ) and I see a likeness between them and the new Injustice Gods Among US ( though Warren Ellis still rules in my mind ) and I will certainly tell people about Injustice. I wish I had ordered 100 of number 1 of Injustice. It is a cool story and dealers, collectors, flippers, and most everyone else missed the boat.

I first heard about East of West, Five Ghosts, Helheim, and a few others on this site and for the most part, I'm glad I did. Most of us are guilty of pushing comics we like. There are some clunkers that were terrible but I will read a bad one to get to a good one. I think its going to be a fun year to be a comic guy :grin:

You have good taste in comics. Talking about, and getting people interested in comics that you enjoy is great. The past couple years have been really fun. The WD explosion, in and of itself, has been fascinating. And so has the 2012 Image new series phenomenon.

Thanks, and I agree with everything you said. I had a lot of WD when it was in its early years. I sold my number 1s at around $100 per. I thought they would head the other direction when the TPBs were everywhere. Shows what I know lol

I missed out on some of the 2012 Image but read some them in TPB form. It was definitely a good year. I'm hoping 2013 will be similar. There have already been some good comics but time will tell.

Correct but a post you made earlier compares 4 books & if you focus on MP & ToT (which have similar sales numbers) but the increments of your Y Axis are different; thus the steadier selling book (MP) appears more up/down by the narrowed range reflected when charting a steady seller.

dont quote HTML posts as BB Code, lol

Yes, I did post four together, because he asked for them. I also, as I have said, posted the data points, both for people who wanted them, and so no one would be confused. I also explained that each graph was self-referential (scaled to itself).

That was also after valiant's false claims, which was when there was only 1.

Here is what I said in the post before the four graphs:

ok, I just added the three you asked for, now it does start to become a little confusing, as the charts each have a different scale. Remember that what is being graphed is the change in print run over time. The graph scale of each is relative to it's print run. The graph's Y-Axis runs from the lowest data point, to the highest data point, and is scaled accordingly.

If this is not done, you get the effect of all data trending towards a straight line (compression), and the bigger the print run, the "higher" up the line will be on the graph. This is set up to make the change visible, and the graphs self referential....

#####

Edit, i moved this forward one page, cause that ridiculously enormous quote broke the other page, enjoy

#####

Getting ready for work, and figured I would show everybody one more way in which valiantman is intentionally misleading people with data, the very same false accusation he tried to level.

A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

So, for anyone following, remember when he said this about the bedlam chart:

The problem with your method is that you would get the SAME graph for

Bedlam that looked like:

That's not good.

Although I already easily handled that in my explanation of its errors, let's demonstrate the truth here.

First, the Bedlam chart:

Bedlam1.jpg

ok, now as i pointed out, the numbers he quoted will produce "a similar trend, but a different chart". Well here it is:

Bedlam2.jpg

Now when you look at that, one might say, "Wait, maybe he is right, look how similar it is." The reason its similar, is because what the chart is showing, is the CHANGE from month to month. In both cases. the biggest change is between months 1 and 2, and months 2 and 3, then the data becomes flat. Since it is zooming in to show change, and absolute values are irrelevant, the CHANGE is very similar, so similar graphs are produced.

Now the rub, and where he knowingly misled people. Since it is CHANGE, not total value that is being charted. Let's see what it looks like with these numbers:

Bedlam3.jpg

Now THAT graph is identical to the valiant-fail graph. Remember that his fallacious claim was that the graph was "making" Bedlam look like it was falling to zero. He didnt understand the graph, made that claim, then when it was disproved CHOSE data that was close to zero to try and make his point.

However, he now KNEW how the graph actually worked, so he tried to FOX NEWS the data set. As you can see from the last graph, whether its 300 or 20,000, is irrelevant, the chart shows CHANGE from month-to-month, relative to itself.

So now, with that lie cleared up, let's look at the original fallacious claim. What if this months Bedlam actually had fallen to his "300" value, leaving all the rest of the data the same except the last point, now set to 300 we get:

Bedlam4.jpg

BOOM, the graph scales accordingly and the CHANGE, which is what is being charted, becomes immediately visible, and able to be directly contrasted with previous month's changes....

dont believe lies and lying liar's who tell them....

:roflmao:re. the "ValiantFail" graph.

I was just about to post that things seem to be looking up for Valiant: they actually managed to place three titles to place in the top 150 books in April!

:roflmao:re. the "ValiantFail" graph.

I was just about to post that things seem to be looking up for Valiant: they actually managed to place three titles to place in the top 150 books in April!

it was for the man not the company :)

That's awesome that they are breaking into the top 150. The more successful companies there are, the better the industry.

Getting ready for work, and figured I would show everybody one more way in which valiantman is intentionally misleading people with data, the very same false accusation he tried to level.

A straw man or straw person, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally, is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.

BOOM, the graph scales accordingly and the CHANGE, which is what is being charted, becomes immediately visible, and able to be directly contrasted with previous month's changes....

dont believe lies and lying liar's who tell them....

You have MADE my point even better than I did.

You showed that the Bedlam chart looks the SAME in MULTIPLE situations that are very different.

In other words... the chart is USELESS!

As for the rest of your comments, sugarbear...

You want to play "bigger internet balls"? Let's rumble Johnny Chuckles.

The 100,000,000 data points that you claim I exaggerated for CGCdata.com is:

25 grades per issue in the CGC census

4 types of slabs possible (Universal, Signature, Qualified, Restored)

100,000+ issues in the CGC census

200+ CGC update files (yes, EVERY update, not just the most recent one)

Let's see...

25 x 4 x 100,000 x 200 = 2 BILLION

You're right. 100 million is an exaggeration... there are 2 BILLION data points.

You once did a thing for a city with $400 million in equipment? Wow. Was it warm as you stood beside it?

I was the data acquisitions analyst for Acxiom.

They only make a billion a year and know everything about everyone... everywhere.

Never heard of them? Good. That's how they like it. But they've heard of you.

As far as education goes, I'm just a doctor in information whose dissertation won an international award from M.I.T.

http://mitiq.mit.edu/ICIQ/awards/ballou-pazer.aspx

But, you can just call me 'valiantman'.

My wife says they're salty... but what do you think?

^^